• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Too Many Centers Too Few Defensemen

Sod16

We have six natural centers for three slots (ie no one is a first line center) for next year: Zib, #90 (can't spell or pronounce his name), Spooner (said to be natural center); Hayes; Chytl; Anderson.

And on D. No one new yet who's ready for the NHL.

We're playing now with four guys who were in the AHL in January, and none looks like more than a No. 7 for next year, which may have something to do with giving up a thrifty 55 shots to Vancouver.

So, which one of those is a true, blue chip top line Center? The answer would be none. Maybe Anderson one day, maybe. But I doubt it.

So, moving on from that, whats the most valuable position in the NHL right now? RHD and centers. And they get traded for each other quite a bit.

You can develop good defensemen, draft them later, or find diamonds in the rough (Stralman being our own personal example) but finding top end Center talent is much more difficult, and even second and third line centers are a valuable commodity. You can’t have enough of them in today’s league and they give you a ton of leverage. This is exactly what I want to see, and I hope we bring in more. We need a top line center.

We've only seen Spooner on the wing so far. I think he's said he feels comfortable there. I also think that all natural centers can play wing without much issue. They understand the defensive positioning of the other forward positions and can easily slot in there. I also haven't seen enough of him to make this decision but I foresee Chytl moving to wing at some point. He just seems like that to me for some reason. He almost seems to have the natural offensive abilities where you'd like to see him pushing out of the defensive zone quicker, like a wing generally does, just so he can create a little more offense.

That leaves Zib, Namestykov, Hayes, and Anderson. It certainly would look even better with Tavares...

Our D is going to be an issue next season too. We can just keep our fingers crossed that a couple of the prospects really blossom.

We have six natural centers for three slots (ie no one is a first line center) for next year: Zib, #90 (can't spell or pronounce his name), Spooner (said to be natural center); Hayes; Chytl; Anderson.

And on D. No one new yet who's ready for the NHL.

We're playing now with four guys who were in the AHL in January, and none looks like more than a No. 7 for next year, which may have something to do with giving up a thrifty 55 shots to Vancouver.

The problem is they are still being evaluated and I don't think anyone aside from Zib and Hayes are locks for center next year. So even if they do have "too many" centers it means very little if they aren't NHL ready. I highly doubt management is content with their current defensemen so I expect more moves come this summer.

Unless we go after Tavares we're not going to find one in free agency either.

Some decent players likely to be available this summer, both D and C, but not really bonafide #1's.

Seguin next offseason

Dunno. I just don't think he's got anywhere near enough presence to center our first line.

And I have a feeling, based on nothing more than his style of play, that he'd be more effective playing off a good center. But clearly there are sharper hockey minds than me who has opted against that idea.

Has Zib ever even played wing? I don't get why he, of all people, is the guy fans think should move. Namestnikov, Spooner, and Chytil, would all move to wing before Zib.

He played W in Ottawa for a bit.

I'd like to see him on the wing to see if it allows him to shoot a bit more. He's pretty sneaky around the net, likes to shoot, has a decent shot, good speed, etc. Makes for a solid, top-6 wing. At C, as we've seen recently, he focuses on defense - and he's still not good at it. He might have a few games where he's serviceable, but nothing close to a bonafide #1C

I dont think any of them are potential 1Cs, but I could see Zib being a potential 1LW

I like Hayes and Andersson as 2/3Cs. Chytil will need to do work, but will be fine shifting to the wing. I like what I've seen from Namestnikov - we werent sure if we'd see a guy regress after playing with Kuch and Stammer, or blossom from being given the keys.

Gordon already said he penciled Spooner as a wing, and that seems to be working. He can shift to being a depth C, if necessary, but is more effective on the wing.

In his time here Zib seems to have moved being a playmaker to a guy who wants to blast away with one timers. I wouldn't have considered it until recently, but perhaps some time on wing would be a good experiment with him.

I don't see Smith back up here unless he shows substantial improvement in all areas. The fact that he was demoted in the first place speaks volumes to what management thought of him.

He's gonna be Redden 2.0 if he doesn't find a way to get back to form IMO

Am I The only one who thinks we have too many defensemen? Gilmour and Pionk should be with the team next year, and I like Ogara. Plus we just got two more prospects in trades and you know we are drafting g at least 1 defenseman in the first round. This team needs top six wingers badly.

Am I The only one who thinks we have too many defensemen? Gilmour and Pionk should be with the team next year, and I like Ogara. Plus we just got two more prospects in trades and you know we are drafting g at least 1 defenseman in the first round. This team needs top six wingers badly.

Well Hajek will be in the AHL next year. Rykov has one more year on his KHL contract. Lindgren has two more years of college before at least a year in the AHL. So all the D we just got at the deadline are at least 2-3 years away.

Pionk, Gilmour and O'Gara are the defense you ice when tanking.

Exactly.

Phil called it with Holland when I was still blind.

And they will get a chance next year, and when they fail the real prospects will be ready to try.

Well Hajek will be in the AHL next year. Rykov has one more year on his KHL contract. Lindgren has two more years of college before at least a year in the AHL. So all the D we just got at the deadline are at least 2-3 years away.

They should be on Lindgren to sign after 3rd year, if not now.

Archived