Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: J.T. Miller: Requiem for a Captain Who Never Was

HNIC BSBH Legend
    We'll never know, but it doesn't matter. We don't need to murder anyone on the way out, especially not someone who played really hard and for us. Just don't see the point.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Oh, I agree. Both of them served admirably. By and large, I loved what I saw.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just listened to the interview, and that's not what was said, only that Gorton offered Miller. And Gorton said they'd talked about Miller for awhile. So who really knows the motives aside for putting a bigger package together. For all we know, Miller got us a conditional first.
    OK, but I couched it. It's more recent in your unclouded mind, but I recall a pretty wonky answer from Gorton.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I think Miller got them Namestnikov. Straight up.

It's almost like two trades. Miller for Namestnikov, McDonagh for Howden, Hajek, 2018 1st, 2019 Conditional 2nd.
    Yeah, that's the best way to put it that I've seen. It smells like a change of scenery thing to me, on both ends.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Fighting in the playoffs is dumb? Don't you pine for Joe Thornton?
    Joe Thornton has 123 points in 160 playoff games and is a future hall of famer. Are we really going to compare them in any way at all? Seriously?

Miller was third among forwards in hits, so he was doing something physical.

Who's "nobody else"?
    Third eh? Behind who? JT Miller left the Rangers racking up 87 hits. Fast has 110, Skjei 97, Mcleod wont count, then there's Miller with 87 and Kreider, who missed a month with 83. League leader has 200+. Please go on about how physical Miller has been. Lil Fast out hit him.

"Nobody else" meaning nobody on the team did anything physical either. Kinda agreeing with you in that the rest of the team was doing nothing.

This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

I don't care who this team trades but what I take issue with is the nonsense that follows them out the door.
    Not sure why you are taking issue with what I have said. Ots not anything new. Its not any sort of parting shot. Ive been saying this for years. Odd, i pretty much say he will shine elsewhere, but you feel im taking parting shots at him.

I know you're supported Miller in the past. This reaction seems like you give more of a shit than you lead on.

At the start of the season i would have agreed about keeping Miller over the other two. I was expecting some next level stuff from him. Im no Hayes fan either. But as the year went on, Hayes went from my least liked of the 3, to the more liked of the 3. Vesey has become an utter useless wimp, who gave up 3 months ago and has been invisible. I can't believe this is the same kid we saw last season. I was expecting him to be gone. Still hoping. Sadly, Miller disappeared. Probably the most quiet 40 point season I've ever not seen.

I was expecting more from him. I thought he would step up and carry them like he did for a month last year, or was that 2 years ago? If that's too much to ask, then i guess im wrong. I feel like he disappeared again. But at a time they couldn't afford him to.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Who says Yzerman wanted him, he flat out said Gorton was pushing him on him lol
    I thought I read Tampa has been inquiring for over a year about Miller?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Joe Thornton has 123 points in 160 playoff games and is a future hall of famer. Ate we really going to compare them in any way at all? Seriously?

Third eh? Behind who? JT Miller left the Rangers racking up 87 hits. Fast has 110, Skjei 97, Mcleod wont count, then tjeres Miller with 87 and Kreider WHO missed a month with 83. League leader has 200+. Please go on about how physical he has been.

"Nobody else" meaning nobody on the team did anything physical either. Kinda agreeing with you in that the rest of the team was doing nothing.

[Quote[This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

I don't care who this team trades but what I take issue with is the nonsense that follows them out the door.
    Not sure why you are taking issue with what I have said. Ots not anything new. Its not any sort of parting shot. Ive been saying this for years. Odd, i pretty much say he will shine elsewhere, but you feel im taking parting shots at him.

I know you're supported Miller in the past. This reaction seems like you give more of a shit than you lead on.

At the start of the season i would have agreed about keeping Miller over the other two. I was expecting some next level stuff from him. Im no Hayes fan either. But as the year went on, Hayes went from my least liked of the 3, to the more liked of the 3. Vesey has become an utter useless wimp, who gave up 3 months ago and has been invisible. I can't believe this is the same kid we saw last season. I was expecting him to be gone. Still hoping. Sadly, Miller disappeared. Probably the most quiet 40 point season I've ever not seen.

I was expecting more from him. I thought he would step up and carry them like he did for a month last year, or was that 2 years ago? If that's too much to ask, then i guess im wrong. I feel like he disappeared again. But at a time they couldn't afford him to.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.[/QUOTE]I'm not comparing. You said fighting in the playoffs is stupid. I shut it down.

The reasons I haven't posted go way beyond one player. It's not your business. Don't assume anything other than what I said. I don't care who they trade. I don't care what it seems like to you. Read my post, don't make assumptions. End of story.

It's good to be back.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.
    I'm not comparing. You said fighting in the playoffs is stupid. I shut it down.

The reasons I haven't posted go way beyond one player. It's not your business. Don't assume anything other than what I said. I don't care who they trade. I don't care what it seems like to you. Read my post, don't make assumptions. End of story.

It's good to be back.[/QUOTE]

Ok

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yeah, that's the best way to put it that I've seen. It smells like a change of scenery thing to me, on both ends.
    100%

Moderator Junior Division
    Why would Namestnikov need a change of scenery though? He's having a career year and pacing ~25 goals and ~60 points without any real change in possession numbers. Unless they didn't like him in the locker room either?...but all I've read is that he was great there.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I've read/heard numerous talking heads speculate that TBL feared the contract Namestnikov was bound to sign (arbitration eligible) this summer given his rise to play with Stamkos and Kucherov. I guess, with Miller, there's less fear there?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    i sorta recall at last years deadline that the rangers received many inquiries about miller and sorta looked like he was considered untouchable.

whatever happened between now and then who knows.

he was a good ranger overall. i don't care about the throwing of the stick brain fart.

call it however you want regarding mac miller and who they were dealt for in the bigger picture this had to be done. they got all they could of out of this group. i'm loving the returns on the prospects and draft day and the days leading up to it will be must watch TV.

I just hope Gorton gets the pics right. thats the most important thing i'm focusing on.

good to see u pete.

Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Giving up after not one, not two, not three, not four, but five years after he first came to the NHL. I can see him scoring 30 goals for the Bolts and being a good player, but I think he will always be too inconsistent to be a real star.
    "Star" and the name JT Miller should never really be in the same sentence. You don't have to be a "star" to be a very SOLID, hard working likable successful NHL player. The respect from your peers, and in this day and age where 60 points is a more than decent production line is not such a bad thing. I rooted for this kid every step of the way, and yet.....I cannot say I am surprised at the way this has gone. Just wish he could've risen "above" whatever slowed him down in his progression, but whatever that was......I suppose that's where the word "Pro" comes in play.
    I truly believe that after seeing AV's extension, he simply wanted OUT and playing just "badly enough" was a way for him to escape "our leader". Should've just hung in there, gave it his all and been "part of the solution"......opposed to.........
    I will miss JT though, wish him the best and quite possibly will have escaped with his name eventually on the cup and a finish to a very well laid out plan and with a big FU for AV (deserving or not) AND gets to be with many of his buddies as well........brilliant! Think he really missed Cally, surely he looked up to the Captain.

Side note. McD losing his Captaincy, might be the best thing to ever happen to him, so now he can focus on playing nstead of all that goes with wearing the "C" and those everyday interviews.
    Last edited by LarryBiv; 03-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Squirt Division Progrocker's Avatar
    Never was a big Miller fan. Part time player. Buh bye.

Deleted Midget Division
    Advanced stats say that he had a fun name to say and that was 84.22% of his value to this team.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker;918537[B
    ]i sorta recall at last years deadline that the rangers received many inquiries about miller and sorta looked like he was considered untouchable.[/B]

whatever happened between now and then who knows.

he was a good ranger overall. i don't care about the throwing of the stick brain fart.

call it however you want regarding mac miller and who they were dealt for in the bigger picture this had to be done. they got all they could of out of this group. i'm loving the returns on the prospects and draft day and the days leading up to it will be must watch TV.

I just hope Gorton gets the pics right. thats the most important thing i'm focusing on.

good to see u pete.
    That isn’t true. He was being shopped for the last year and a half. Why would JT Miller be considered untouchable?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division
    u might be right. i just remember reading there were many inquiries about him at last years deadline.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Why would Namestnikov need a change of scenery though? He's having a career year and pacing ~25 goals and ~60 points without any real change in possession numbers. Unless they didn't like him in the locker room either?...but all I've read is that he was great there.
    i think you right,if anyone needed a change it was Miller,i was a big fan of his ,but his inconsistency has
    soured me.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    That isn’t true. He was being shopped for the last year and a half. Why would JT Miller be considered untouchable?
    I'm not sure it's exactly true that he was being "shopped", but he certainly was available for the right price, like everyone not named Lundqvist.

The Rangers haven't been sellers at the deadline in forever, and he was productive and on a reasonable contract. Unless they were bowled over by an offer, there was really no reason to force him out the door.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I've read/heard numerous talking heads speculate that TBL feared the contract Namestnikov was bound to sign (arbitration eligible) this summer given his rise to play with Stamkos and Kucherov. I guess, with Miller, there's less fear there?
    This plus Miller is younger.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast