Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J.T. Miller: Requiem for a Captain Who Never Was

Senior Member Mite Division Gravesy's Avatar
    I very much doubt he'll ever be a "real star", but he'll be an incredibly useful player if Cooper can get his head right.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I haven't posted for awhile, but I read a lot of posts on the board.

There's some real bullshit going on here for sure, but nothing makes me genuine as upset as the revisionist history going on when players leave.

I'm not even going to bother with the McD stuff, but what's going on in this thread is just sad. Miller was a quality player for us, there were times he outright carried the team last year. Was he the best and most consistent player all the time? No, but who is? He's already a more well rounded player than Krieder, who gets tons more ice time and PP time and still manages to not really do anything unless Zuccarello is giving him tap-ins.

Miller was physical every night, played in front of the net every night, and was really only guilty of ever trying to do too much. And yea, some simple research will tell you he dropped the gloves. As far as him not being creative, let's just say I highly disagree, especially after watching years of Stepan telegraph his passes. As far as the bad locker room guy stuff, well that seems to have taken on a life of it's own here (as most things do) and now has become the group think. That's fine, he was part of a clique and we know that no one here likes cliques. I wonder how many people thought that Hags/Brassard/Zucc clique was bad for the team...But winning masks everything, right?

The guy is traded, what the need is to shred him on the way out is beyond me. He wasn't bending anyone over the barrel for a contract (yet), he was a good player who played as had as he could every night. He looked really bad on a really bad team where almost everyone else looked really bad, as well. Shocking.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Whatever the case is with JT I don't think he'll ever live up to what his physical skills promised he could possibly have been. He just seems too flighty to ever put it together game in and game out. I had enough of him and I'm glad he's gone.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

There's some real bullshit going on here for sure, but nothing makes me genuine as upset as the revisionist history going on when players leave.

I'm not even going to bother with the McD stuff, but what's going on in this thread is just sad. Miller was a quality player for us, there were times he outright carried the team last year. Was he the best and most consistent player all the time? No, but who is? He's already a more well rounded player than Krieder, who gets tons more ice time and PP time and still manages to not really do anything unless Zuccarello is giving him tap-ins.

Miller was physical every night, played in front of the net every night, and was really only guilty of ever trying to do too much. And yea, some simple research will tell you he dropped the gloves. As far as him not being creative, let's just say I highly disagree, especially after watching years of Stepan telegraph his passes. As far as the bad locker room guy stuff, well that seems to have taken on a life of it's own here (as most things do) and now has become the group think. That's fine, he was part of a clique and we know that no one here likes cliques. I wonder how many people thought that Hags/Brassard/Zucc clique was bad for the team...But winning masks everything, right?

The guy is traded, what the need is to shred him on the way out is beyond me. He wasn't bending anyone over the barrel for a contract (yet), he was a good player who played as had as he could every night. He looked really bad on a really bad team where almost everyone else looked really bad, as well. Shocking.
    Welcome back!

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    I think there's a rough consensus that he was a good player for us and a real plus but a little bit disappointing in that he did not reach the next level. No, he should not be shredded. I guess I would say that between Krieder, Hayes and Miller, if I were to have traded one, it would have been Miller.

Fans are cranky and rarely completely satisfied with a player. If they are satisfied, it is with a guy like Fast for whom they have very circumscribed expectations.

And yes, I agree, I really don't want to hear nit-picking about McDonagh. He was the best home grown player to arrive here from 1988 (Leetch) to 2011. 23 years! I hope that's good enough for you.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    The good news is he produced at an ECHL replacement player level in the playoffs, so we don't have to watch any sentimental YouTube videos about him.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The good news is he produced at an ECHL replacement player level in the playoffs, so we don't have to watch any sentimental YouTube videos about him.
    Oh my bad, I thought this thread was about Miller, not Nash...

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Oh my bad, I thought this thread was about Miller, not Nash...
    Nash had 10 goals and 23 points in his last 36 playoff games. 2015-2017

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Nash had 10 goals and 23 points in his last 36 playoff games. 2015-2017
    OK. What about the rest of his career? When he was getting first line ice time, plus PP time, while Miller was mostly on the 4th line for his playoff games...?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Prior to that Nash had 5 goals and 18 points in 41 playoff games, but what does any of this have to do with Miller? Bringing up Nash's playoff baggage, justifies JT's?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Nothing, really. I just like to point out that the same people defending Nash try to give Miller shit.

I think the only people being really honest here are the ones who said "Miller never lived up to my expectations."

He lived up to my expectations. I'm good there.

Senior Member Junior Division

Whoa! A Pete sighting!

I don't agree about the physical play. I just don't see it. I didn't recall any of his fights. I apologize for saying so.... He had 5 in 5 years. 1 in the playoffs, which shows how smart he is.... Color me blown away by his toughness. This team gets and got run every other night. He had 5 fights in 5 years..... I don't see that as a guy quick to stand up for his team. Obviously nobody else did either, but that isn't the discussion.

I think he will be the player you always thought he would be on Tampa. I didn't see the same exact stuff you and others did (ie physical and tough play), but i always thought he had the offensive ability to make it in the league.

I don't care about the locker room stuff, because we cant judge what we don't know. True or not it was a vague statement that could mean different things. I didn't put as much stock in the claims as some did.

I know you always believed in Miller and are probably not happy seeing him go. Sorry man. IMO I don't think they got equal worth for him, and I've never been a big fan of his. Others do think they got value. I see and agree with your point about shredding him on the way out the door though. Same with McD.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-01-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

That's kinda the point
    why the "......"?

I was just agreeing with the article lol

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Whoa! A Pete sighting!

I don't agree about the physical play. I just don't see it. I didn't recall any of his fights. I apologize for saying so.... He had 5 on 5 years. 1 in the playoffs, which shows how smart he is.... Color me blown away by his toughness. This team gets and got run every other night. He had 5 fights in 5 years..... I don't see that as a guy quick to stand up for his team. Obviously nobody else did either, but that isn't the discussion.
    Fighting in the playoffs is dumb? Don't you pine for Joe Thornton?

Miller was third among forwards in hits, so he was doing something physical.

Who's "nobody else"?

I think he will be the player you always thought he would be on Tampa. I didn't see the same exact stuff you and others did (ie physical and tough play), but i always thought he had the offensive ability to make it in the league.

I don't care about the locker room stuff, because we cant judge what we don't know. True or not it was a vague statement that could mean different things. I didn't put as much stock in the claims as some did.

I know you always believed in Miller and are probably not happy seeing him go. Sorry man. IMO I don't think they got equal worth for him, and I've never been a big fan of his. Others do think they got value. I see and agree with your point about shredding him on the way out the door though. Same with McD.
    This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

I don't care who this team trades but what I take issue with is the nonsense that follows them out the door.

Who says Yzerman wanted him, he flat out said Gorton was pushing him on him lol

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Who says Yzerman wanted him, he flat out said Gorton was pushing him on him lol
    Oh, I didn't see those quotes or clips. Can you post them?

I thought the fact that Yzerman traded for Miller meant he wanted him...Being that Yzerman is not a GM who gets pushed around (MSL, Drouin, etc).

It's buried in the radio interviews posted, think it's the Boomer/Gorton interview.

Boomer obviously got the quote somewhere, I'd like to see it as well.

Essentially, Boomer says that Yzerman says that he was pushing Miller all along. This being news to Gorton he was caught a little flat footed and didn't have a great comeback.

Obviously I have no inside information as to the process this trade went down but I think it's pretty safe to say they've been looking to move on from JT Miller for a little while now.

I get where you're coming from, too. It's not very nice to slander a guy whose going out the door.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    It's buried in the radio interviews posted, think it's the Boomer/Gorton interview.

Boomer obviously got the quote somewhere, I'd like to see it as well.

Essentially, Boomer says that Yzerman says that he was pushing Miller all along. This being news to Gorton he was caught a little flat footed and didn't have a great comeback.

Obviously I have no inside information as to the process this trade went down but I think it's pretty safe to say they've been looking to move on from JT Miller for a little while now.

I get where you're coming from, too. It's not very nice to slander a guy whose going out the door.
    Just listened to the interview, and that's not what was said, only that Gorton offered Miller. And Gorton said they'd talked about Miller for awhile. So who really knows the motives aside for putting a bigger package together. For all we know, Miller got us a conditional first.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I think Miller got them Namestnikov. Straight up.

It's almost like two trades. Miller for Namestnikov, McDonagh for Howden, Hajek, 2018 1st, 2019 Conditional 2nd.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast