• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jeff Gorton on The Michael Kay Show

Shane Falco

Some notes from what I heard, feel free to add to it:

- JT Miller: had numerous discussions with Yzerman about Miller over the course of a year/year and half. As the deal progressed progressed,

Miller had to be part of it. Felt comfortable with trade.

- Felt team went as far as they could go with it's current roster.

- Not comfortable putting a timeline on the rebuild. Management wants to handle it the right way.

- Good chance Chytil and Anderssen play before the end of the year

- Hank will continue to play. Feels organization owes it to fans to ice the best team they can at this time.

- No one in Rangers organization believes Henrik is "close to done"

- Would not trade Hank without permission from Rangers brass even if Hank wanted out.

- Happy with prospects acquired. Mentioned Rangers missed out on many they wanted due to lack of picks over the years.

- Wouldn't answer whether AV is staying. Will sit down with AV at the end of the season. Says he has not thought about whether if AV will

remain with team or not.

- Will continue to evaluate Spooner and Namestnikov. Noted both played with high end talent. Wants to see how they do with their time here.

- Shattenkirk will only return if 100%

- Management "looked in the mirror" and realized team wasn't good enough to win. Did not want to resort to more "quick fixes"

- Says fanbase has responded well to "the letter." Praises fans for their passion and love for the team.

- Team/management will not rush to name a Captain.

If it is true that they've been talking about Miller for a year and a half, that goes almost all the way back to The World Championship, and Cooper was one of the coaches of the team with Miller on it.

Who knows whether that came into play or not, but if Cooper thinks more of Miller than AV, that could have been a big factor in the return.

If it is true that they've been talking about Miller for a year and a half, that goes almost all the way back to The World Championship, and Cooper was one of the coaches of the team with Miller on it.

Who knows whether that came into play or not, but if Cooper thinks more of Miller than AV, that could have been a big factor in the return.

I don't think they'd move a guy because of the opinion of a coach who will be gone after this season. I think it's safe to say there were deeper issues with Miller and it had nothing to do with AV.

I don't think they'd move a guy because of the opinion of a coach who will be gone after this season. I think it's safe to say there were deeper issues with Miller and it had nothing to do with AV.

Me neither.

But I'm not saying that. I'm saying that, if Cooper likes him, it could have made it easier for the TBL to get rid of those prospects AND Namestnikov.

I agree. I see no reason to fire AV this off-season. its up to AV if he wants to stick around for the rebuild

Rangers will have a young room without a strong leader. I'd much rather have a coach who's hands-on who can guide them instead of someone who lets them do their own thing. AV has a great reputation with vets. Not kids.

Rangers will have a young room without a strong leader. I'd much rather have a coach who's hands-on who can guide them instead of someone who lets them do their own thing. AV has a great reputation with vets. Not kids.

I don't agree. we know nothing of how of a leader AV is. what makes u say he's not a strong leader?

I don't agree. we know nothing of how of a leader AV is. what makes u say he's not a strong leader?

AV is hands off in the locker room. He lets the guys do their thing. How he leads them beyond that, I don’t know. Just sayin he’s not a locker room guy.

Sure we do and he is a leader. Yet, he does not take the lead on locker room stuff, on helping kids adjust to the NHL either on or off the ice. Ever watch AV squad? We need someone to connect with the kids on many levels. We won't fire him. He will leave for more appropriate pastures, mutual decision.

Did you watch the Rangers this year? lol

He is hands off, but that means he's not an effective leader. That's not a problem with a strong leadership group, but this team doesn't have it. Under his watch, they totally collapsed.

- Will continue to evaluate Spooner and Namestnikov. Noted both played with high end talent. Wants to see how they do with their time here.

That is less complimentary about Namestnikov than I would have expected.

I thought they wanted this guy.

Anyone know what the skinny is on him as a team player? weaknesses?

Seems pretty talented otherwise.

That is less complimentary about Namestnikov than I would have expected.

I thought they wanted this guy.

Anyone know what the skinny is on him as a team player? weaknesses?

Seems pretty talented otherwise.

I took it as taking a grounded approach to evaluating them both. Because lets face it, playing alongside Stamkos and Kucherov will definitely inflate your numbers. So from what he said, it sounded like they will both get every opportunity possible to show they're worth investing in for the long haul.

I took it as taking a grounded approach to evaluating them both. Because lets face it, playing alongside Stamkos and Kucherov will definitely inflate your numbers. So from what he said, it sounded like they will both get every opportunity possible to show they're worth investing in for the long haul.

^This is on point blue. With Spooner, it is about him shaking off his crappy start this year. With Vlad it is about what his #s look like w/o 2 superstars. With both it is about how much $/term do we pay for their next contract.

Archived