• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's the Home Stretch - Time for a Homerun

Giacomin

It is gonna take one more big move to really impress. It's the elephant in the room. Mgmt can delay the inevitable till the off season, but what reasonable return would cause Gorton to make his biggest trade yet?

Let's discuss just the teams that make the most sense and the key pieces:

Toronto - This is a contender. Their biggest weakness/impact is a top pair Dman.

Return - Would have to include either Liljegren or Dermott plus their 1st.

That is the basis for a deal Gorton would be negligent to not make. Kapanen is likely not moving, so they get to choose which Dman they keep. I think Dermott is going to be tremendous, I love the way he plays and skates and everything about his game. A fair trade. Some would say Dermott and a 1st is too little. The 1st would give us 2 within the division where one is sure to get eliminated in R1 and the other may in Rd2.

Winnipeg - What a battle with Nashville, time to go big. One of the two should win the Cup. McD and maybe even Spooner could be the push they need.

Return - Has to Center around Vesalainen and their 1st. Adding the 18 year old D Dylan Samberg really hits their futures, but if they want a 3rd line Center (they lost on Plakanec), Spooner is better offensively.

Tampa - SY wants Dman. If SY does not add a top Dman he would be negligent as a GM. Maybe we are free to send them Spooner too?

Return - We need at least 3 of the 5. Raddysh, Foote, Howden, Katchouk, 1st. Our choice.

Spooner could help or not. Maybe our 4th rounder closes the deal? Yzerman should forget Bobby Ryan EK nightmare and counter Boston's top 2 lines by adding McD.

Note: The Blues could use McD, but have dropped 6 in a row. Love either of their top 2 prospects. They probably can't afford to lose two of Thomas/Kyrou and Kostin/Thompson since they do not have a #1.

Vegas - would have to include Suzuki and a 1st or Brannstrom I guess. McPhee is not doing it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw the thread on Florida. If they are actually serious we need at least:

Bjorgstrom or Heponiemi plus their 1st (unprotected) or Owen Tippett. If they miss the playoffs that 1st would be money. Don't see Florida doing it. Any way we can get Trochek and we'll add Miller? Spooner and Vesey?

Just saw the thread on Florida. If they are actually serious we need at least:

Bjorgstrom or Heponiemi plus their 1st (unprotected) or Owen Tippett. If they miss the playoffs that 1st would be money. Don't see Florida doing it. Any way we can get Trochek and we'll add Miller? Spooner and Vesey?

IMO, any deal would need more than every proposal here.

Florida needs to include one of Trochek, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hubs, along with a 1st. Game changer in return is a must. No iffy prospects.

IMO, any deal would need more than every proposal here.

Florida needs to include one of Trochek, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hubs, along with a 1st. Game changer in return is a must. No iffy prospects.

Dude, these are not iffy prospects. The two Centers in FLA are in every top 20 prospect list. TSN has Tippett 37.

Liljegren or Dermott are right up there with Fabbro. Dermott and Kapanen are really already NHLers. The Tampa kids are more like top 20 - 50 prospects, but those are the best ones in their strong system. The 2 Blues kids are potential stars. The Jets deal would be like 3 1st rounders.

Those Florida guys ain't going anywhere. I think you should temper your expectations about proven NHLers and hope to get the highest quality prospects with star potential. All A level prospects, we have not gotten one yet.

Dude, these are not iffy prospects. The two Centers in FLA are in every top 20 prospect list. TSN has Tippett 37.

Liljegren or Dermott are right up there with Fabbro. Dermott and Kapanen are really already NHLers. The Tampa kids are more like top 20 - 50 prospects, but those are the best ones in their strong system. The 2 Blues kids are potential stars. The Jets deal would be like 3 1st rounders.

Those Florida guys ain't going anywhere. I think you should temper your expectations about proven NHLers and hope to get the highest quality prospects with star potential. All A level prospects, we have not gotten one yet.

Then I don't trade him. I want back a legit 1st liner and a pick. Lets not forget. Hes a 1st pairing D man.

I want nothing to do with Tampas prospects Dermot and Kapanan is tolerable, but would also want a 1st this year or next. .

Not tempering expectations on a return for a top pairing d man with such a low cap hit. 1st line sure thing that is already playing, or nothing. They can get that over the summer. No doubt in my mind.

I know the recent trades are exciting. But they HAD to deal those players. I don't feel they NEED to deal McD right this second. Theres absolutely zero urgency to deal him.

More prospects is tantalizing, sure. This piece is too big to risk not getting an absolute sure thing in return.

It wouldn't destroy everything if they kept him. Shit. Maybe now with the rebuild, his next contract doesn't look all too bad.

Good points, especially if you are right that someone will cough up a 1st line player. I have my doubts. You're theory must be predicated on the idea that teams will be able to negotiate with McD starting this off season. BTW, A quality 2nd line player like Trockek + Borgstrom is interesting to me, if FLA can extend McD it might not be an overpay.

What I am suggesting is the next best way to get a true first liner (for his career) is with 1st rounders. Or better, recent 1st and 2nd rounders who are progressing better than expected, which shortens the development time and adds more certainty. Of the kids mentioned in this thread, a couple should turn into top end impact players. And this is the draft to load up as well. Let's get this over with.

These are team's top prospects. If they are not offered, we definitely wait and not settle.

I have my doubts on prospects. I don't want them. There is a great chance that they won't pan out. Especially ones picked late, that are playing better than expected.

I don't see McD talking extension with anyone BUT the Rangers. If he really wants to stay, he needs to re-up for 4 more years at his current salary. His next contract is the main driving force behind the idea of trading him.

I feel they get a 1st liner, more specifically one of the Toronto kids (Nylander/Marner) this summer. Maybe the Rangers have to add more to it to get it done. Like NJ's 2nd rounder.

I have my doubts on prospects. I don't want them. There is a great chance that they won't pan out. Especially ones picked late, that are playing better than expected.

I don't see McD talking extension with anyone BUT the Rangers. If he really wants to stay, he needs to re-up for 4 more years at his current salary. His next contract is the main driving force behind the idea of trading him.

I feel they get a 1st liner, more specifically one of the Toronto kids (Nylander/Marner) this summer. Maybe the Rangers have to add more to it to get it done. Like NJ's 2nd rounder.

That's incredibly unrealistic and disrespectful to McDonagh and what he has given this team.

That's incredibly unrealistic and disrespectful to McDonagh and what he has given this team.

Disrespectful how? What has he won? Hes been average the last 2 seasons. We all have to learn from the Staal and Girardi contracts.

McD is on the block and nobody is banging down the door. Almost any other top pairing D man on the block would have league wide interest. Im hearing 3 teams and shit returns for a guy that has given what exactly to this team? Fuck Ryan McDonagh. Fuck him and his pudding head and his bitch shoulder. This team owes him nothing.

They are learning. By trading him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They could learn by signing him to a contract that wont kill them too.

I just said fuck him. I obviously would rather trade him. But keeping him on an affordable contract isnt a bad idea moving forward either. Especially if all they can get for him is some iffy prospects.

Disrespectful how? What has he won? Hes been average the last 2 seasons. We all have to learn from the Staal and Girardi contracts.

McD is on the block and nobody is banging down the door. Almost any other top pairing D man on the block would have league wide interest. Im hearing 3 teams and shit returns for a guy that has given what exactly to this team? Fuck Ryan McDonagh. Fuck him and his pudding head and his bitch shoulder. This team owes him nothing.

I sense a lot of anger and hostility :-)

Comparing Ryan McDonagh's talent level to Staal and G tells me all I need to know here.

He's going to be a UFA. If you think there's a chance in hell he's taking the same contract he has now on less years than he can get on the market, I have a bridge to sell you.

I think if hes as broken up about possibly being traded, like Zucc is, he may look past the $.

Of course I doubt that, but its worth looking into before selling low. Its an avenue nobody has talked about.

If they talked extension now, what would you realistically want to spend on him? Not what he can get... What you would be comfortable giving him.

I sense a lot of anger and hostility :-)

Comparing Ryan McDonagh's talent level to Staal and G tells me all I need to know here.

Nowhere in that post did I discuss their talent levels. Strictly about knowing what you have and what they are/will be worth down the road. Something they didn't do with Girardi and Staal.

You asked. Why are you asking again? Yes. 6.5 times 5.

Because those numbers are the reason that many of us seem to think the team should trade him. They can't give him that. It will be a mistake ala Girardi and Staal.

I thought you were on board with this train of thought?

I mean do you not feel they should be dealing McD? Or do you have different reasons for dealing him?

Sorry if im asking again.

I'm fine with dealing him. I'm also fine with keeping him. He's a good player. Hence his value in both directions. If that seems like fence sitting its because it probably is.

If you're asking me which way I'm leaning more, it's toward a trade, but I'm not in the tank in either direction.

Well I liked the thread title at least. A home run prospect is what we want to see. Chances of that? I dunno.

That should be the goal when you're trading the team's franchise defensmen. He may not be playing like he once was, but McD is no scrub. They should pushing for the absolute max deal, no exceptions.

Archived