• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

LAK Trade G Darcy Kuemper to ARI for F Tobias Rieder and G Scott Wedgewood

Shane Falco

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Darcy Kuemper is getting a two-year extension from ARI as part of this trade from LAK. AAV on Kuemper extension is $1.85M. Tobias Rieder and Scott Wedgewood going to LA, as @FriedgeHNIC and @craigsmorgan reported.

@TheFourthPeriod

Kuemper receives a two-year, $3.7M contract extension with Coyotes, as part of trade from LA. He will make $1.6M year 1, $2.1M year 2.

With Kuemper going there it doesn't look like Raanta is de-facto #1 anymore. Kuemper is having a good season, although being on a better team helped.

Well, Raanta is a UFA, too. Kuemper is basically an insurance policy but is still a backup. Especially if they keep Raanta after all.

Raanta has been injured quite a bit this season too. I'm sure that is something that factored into this decision as well.

Yeah' date=' sounds like he and Kuemper will have to fight it out for the rest of the season. Raanta's UFA at the end of the season. Wonder if another team will take a shot on him or if he just solidified his perennial backup roll.[/quote']

I'd bring Raanta back if the Yotes let him go.

And here's Bob killing any speculation

@TSNBobMckenzie

This Kuemper trade/extension is not expected to impact Antti Raanta’s status with ARI. While ARI has gotten calls from other teams, ARI and Raanta’s reps have talked about getting an extension completed post-deadline. He wants to stay; ARI has indicated they want to keep him.

ARI retains 15 per cent of Rieder contract. Rieder on final year of contract with AAV of $2.225M. RFA at season’s end.

This trade is getting a lot of flak on Twitter, but it seems like a good enough one to me.

LAK gets to take a flier on a guy with decent upside at little cost. Even if Kuemper has been good, it's Quick's team in the playoffs.

ARI locks down a solid to high-end backup goalie.

Archived