Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: 2017-18 NHL Trade Deadline // Sell, Sell, Sell!

Senior Member Junior Division
    I feel McDonagh was always slightly overrated because he was the sole shining star alongside Hank on this team. If he was playing behind PK Subban or Karlsson no one would have paid him much attention. Hank also inflated his +/- quite a bit over his career

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Vegas is going to be a great case study this year if they can have success having no stars

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Vegas is going to be a great case study this year if they can have success having no stars
    Not much to study.

They're just an example of what happens when guys have higher shooting percentages than normal and nobody gets hurt. They're top 11 scorers have combined to miss 23 games. That's almost unheard of.
    Last edited by Future; 02-28-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Not much to study.

They're just an example of what happens when guys have higher shooting percentages than normal and nobody gets hurt. They're top 11 scorers have combined to miss 23 games. That's almost unheard of.
    That is closeminded. You guys need to open up to the idea that there are many ways to be successful and to win a Championship in professional sports. Everytime someone thinks they have cornered the mkt on some successful formula, the next decade comes along and changes everything. You have to be a leader not a follower. You have to be progressive and open minded.

God damn Vegas is a case study. A very interesting study on a number of things and many will be watching with great interest.

Nt wanting to single you out buddy. You are not the only one who is quick to dismiss (alternative winning formulas?) here. Beware of being too dogmatic,

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    That is closeminded. You guys need to open up to the idea that there are many ways to be successful and to win a Championship in professional sports. Everytime someone thinks they have cornered the mkt on some successful formula, the next decade comes along and changes everything. You have to be a leader not a follower. You have to be progressive and open minded.

God damn Vegas is a case study. A very interesting study on a number of things and many will be watching with great interest.

Nt wanting to single you out buddy. You are not the only one who is quick to dismiss (alternative winning formulas?) here. Beware of being too dogmatic,
    The winning formula is shooting percentage and health. It helps that they play in the worst division in hockey, too.

I don't buy them for one second. They didn't do anything progressive, they've just had everything go right.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Kind of reaching when comparing McD to Karlsson.
    All top pair defenseman are not created equal

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    But all would require at LEAST one top prospect to obtain such a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Agreed... Karlsson is a generational player. No one will remember McDonagh in 10 years unless he wins a Conn Smythe or something (highly unlikely)
    Come on man. Seriously? Ate we writing him off like that? He definitely slipped a bit as did this team, but can we not act like the guy wasn't a legit top of the line 1st pairing guy?There was a stretch there where he was top 5 in the game.

Im not entirely sure hes not going to bounce back into form. Its a strong possibility he regains it. This guy was aces for years. He kinda led the franchise back into relevance with Lundqvist.

Nobody will remember him in 10 years? I really disagree with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Not much to study.

If they lose early nobody will say anything and the regular thinking will continue. If they reach the conference finals or do the unthinkable and win it all, it would be naive to think other teams might not follow suit. Much easier to build what they have then wait for a Crosby or Mcdavid.

I agree with you that maybe they are pretenders and maybe bad next year even. However they are going to be a top seed in the West and what they accomplish could change perceptions

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    They’re a well coached team with everyone buying in. They play their game consistently and stick with what works best for them. It’s easier to beat a team with more talented guys not playing together than it is to beat 20 guys on the same page.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But all would require at LEAST one top prospect to obtain such a player.
    We received two excellent prospects, a 1st, and a 2nd.
    Nobody is letting go of “top” prospects for veteran players on the downside, who have been injured, and only have a little over a year left on a contract

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    We received two excellent prospects, a 1st, and a 2nd.
    Nobody is letting go of “top” prospects for veteran players on the downside, who have been injured, and only have a little over a year left on a contract

This. Obviously some with never be happy no matter the trade. As ranger fans we tend to overrate our own players. Now McDonagh is still a very good defensemen but he has never been in that elite territory even in his best years but he was damn close. I think wecan agree that the last couple years either due to injuries or whatvere he has definetly dipped a bit from what he was. Miller is what he is. I know there are some who feel he still has untapped potential but I think he is a talent yet frustrating player. Could we have gotten a bit more? Maybe Could we have gotten a top 1-2 prospect? hell No. If you look at the whole picture we got a good package considering all the circumstances. We could literally walk away with potentially 3 first round picks Howden( former first rounder). I still think people are underestimating Hajek and his stock is rising.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    If they lose early nobody will say anything and the regular thinking will continue. If they reach the conference finals or do the unthinkable and win it all, it would be naive to think other teams might not follow suit. Much easier to build what they have then wait for a Crosby or Mcdavid.

I agree with you that maybe they are pretenders and maybe bad next year even. However they are going to be a top seed in the West and what they accomplish could change perceptions
    Impossible for anyone, except future Seattle, to follow suit. In addition to avoiding any major injuries, the biggest thing they have going for them is they were a group of mostly strangers with no locker room cliques that were united by the common bond of thier previous team viewing them as expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    In addition to avoiding any major injuries, the biggest thing they have going for them is they were a group of mostly strangers with no locker room cliques that were united by the common bond of thier previous team viewing them as expendable.
    That they are mostly strangers and the unique locker roon dynamic alone, is interesting. Or that most came from diff NHL systems all at once.

The approach Gallant took in the early practices and first games, along with their style of play, is worth studying. Did the tragedy have an impact? Is it about players with a chip on their shoulders? How and why did McPhee select or trade for some of their best? How did a team with what many said were a bunch of third liners put together such effective 1st and 2nd lines?

I like Mikey's point that they all bought in to a good coach and a team concept that they all are able/willing to execute. Together they are all-in. If they get to the Finals other teams will be looking deeply and not just chalk it up to a good expansion draft. It wasn't that good and it takes more than that to be where they are and then continue it into the playoffs.

One note for you and Future. They suffered some of the worst goalie injuries during the first half (i've ever seen) and were still winning with 3rd string AHLers.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    I feel McDonagh was always slightly overrated because he was the sole shining star alongside Hank on this team. If he was playing behind PK Subban or Karlsson no one would have paid him much attention. Hank also inflated his +/- quite a bit over his career
    My thoughts exactly. I liked McD, hes a capable 1st pair guy, but he is not a star. I never got some of the hype over him and I am glad management felt the same way as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Impossible for anyone, except future Seattle, to follow suit. In addition to avoiding any major injuries, the biggest thing they have going for them is they were a group of mostly strangers with no locker room cliques that were united by the common bond of thier previous team viewing them as expendable.
    If teams want follow suit they can to some degree. The point is they are doing this with no elite players at all. They have crazy depth of all guys who can skate. They come in waves.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Vegas is what's known as an outlier, boys. If they win the Cup, sure, some clubs may look to some aspects of their style of play to adopt, but it's going to be awfully difficult to replicate the full scope of their inspiration this season. What are teams going to do – load up with expiring contracts to see if the prospect of icing a nearly full roster of guys playing for a new deal can work as a copycat strategy for winning the Cup?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    If teams want follow suit they can to some degree. The point is they are doing this with no elite players at all. They have crazy depth of all guys who can skate. They come in waves.
    All true stuff here
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

In this huge Feb thread, I tried to get the ball rolling below on potential top 10 prospects. Mentioned 11. I might stand by this ranking still, with Boqvist a lock at 5 and Hughes, Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Lundestrom all very very close. Dobson and Hayton in the next group. Let's talk about Lundestrom. Can we move this post into the draft thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    My preferences currently

1. Dahlin - no doubt #1
    2. Zedina - most dynamic and explosive, highest upside based on skills, Laine is decent compare for this scoring wing
    3. Tkachuk - if you like his brother he's going to be better, plays C and score goals, better hands and stick. Complete game, character, practically certain 1st liner, early impact.
    4. Svechnikov - strong tall long striding winger who can score
    -------Drop-off----------------
    5. Boqvist - skinny flashy offensive dynamo dman
    6. Bouchard - better than Hughes IMO, may turn out to be best Dman after Dahlin. Tall, strong, A+ hockey IQ London Knights Captain that has taken over offensively
    7. Wahlstrom - another winger with a great shot, but also size and a developing all around game
    ------drop-----
    8. Hughes - U Michigan smallish but talented Dman
    9. Lundestrom -. blazing quick C, dynamic, good checker/defender high character complete sweede
    10. Two risers Hayton the complete C or Dobson another tall skinny defender

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Dynamic is the last word I’d use to describe Lundestrom. He’s one of the most vanilla players available. He’s the exact opposite of what the Rangers should be targeting.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829