• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Overshadowing of Ratelle's Night

Sod16

Ratelle's night is so long overdue. Gilbert was a very good player. Ratelle was better. There wasn't a GM in the league who wouldn't have taken the latter if given the choice. What current observers don't know is that Ratelle was also an excellent defensive player, remarkably so for a guy who never took penalties. He was a classy guy and a good family man. I've waited for his day for a long time, and now it is happening less than 24 hours before the trade deadline in an atmosphere that will be a distracting frenzy. Too bad. Thanks to Slats for finally making this happen. Ratelle was the only post-war HOFer who played the majority of his career with the Rangers not to have his jersey retired. (I think Park played slightly fewer than half his overall games with the Rangers, but I'd have to add it up).

Even up in the old blue seats, among the rough and tumble crowd, Ratelle was a beloved Ranger. He oozed class and had a great all around game. No weak links unless you wanted him to fight more.

He and Park could have been remembered among the greatest Rangers of all time, if mgmt didn't make that stupid trade for a shiny goal scorer. Then they compound it by trading Middleton after that amazing rookie year, for the washed up Ken Hodge. For years older Ranger fans were bitter over those Bruin trades, I was just a kid. What could have been.

Though we got to witness the Sandstron and Granato for Bernie Nichols fiasco, followed by the knuckleheads dumping of more kids like Weight, Amonte and Zubov for more old guys. We could have had a dynasty, but we mortgaged to the hilt. Have we finally learned? No more shiny. We want more homegrown talent like those above. Like Ratelle, Park and Middleton.

Even up in the old blue seats, among the rough and tumble crowd, Ratelle was a beloved Ranger. He oozed class and had a great all around game. No weak links unless you wanted him to fight more.

He and Park could have been remembered among the greatest Rangers of all time, if mgmt didn't make that stupid trade for a shiny goal scorer. Then they compound it by trading Middleton after that amazing rookie year, for the washed up Ken Hodge. For years older Ranger fans were bitter over those Bruin trades, I was just a kid. What could have been.

Though we got to witness the Sandstron and Granato for Bernie Nichols fiasco, followed by the knuckleheads dumping of more kids like Weight, Amonte and Zubov for more old guys. We could have had a dynasty, but we mortgaged to the hilt. Have we finally learned? No more shiny. We want more homegrown talent like those above. Like Ratelle, Park and Middleton.

I mean seriously? What were they thinking? If you're making that same trade today, doesn't Boston have to throw in a 1st along with ridding an aged Hodge and his salary? I believe it was Especially that pined to get Hodge here. Yeah, thanks Espo, you could've had Middleton on your wing. You idiot.

Back to Ratelle night, jeez I wish I could afford to fly to NY and aquire tickets. What a night it will be, I'm certain to draw tears from my weary eyes. He and steady Eddie, were my absolute favorite Rangers amongst quite a few right behind. Those were the days. When hockey was hockey! People old enough know what I mean.

Gotta add, that I hope (on a personal note) that no trade interferes with this special night. Gonna be tons of other news but this should be #1 in anything Rangers related. Sather (or whomever screwed up the night it should have been presented.

Those were the days. When hockey was hockey!

The Rangers were a close group. They were not multi millionaires. They all lived in Long Beach together. They were all Canadian. There was no free agency or deadline mania, so players stayed with one team much longer than today. They felt like family to you.

But that deal was a prescursor for Messier. That kinda worked out. Some of the other stuff(dealing Zubov being #1 on the list) , not so much. As far as trades interfering with the event, they're still running a business. Such is life.

Archived