• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

No. 2 Goalie Next Year

Sod16

Every year is going to be the year when Hank's workload is reduced, and every year it does not happen. With what's going on now, it's obvious that next year really must be the year when this happens (assuming Hank is here, which is still probable). They have to firmly commit to 25-30 starts for the No. 2. Palavek has had some excellent games but really hasn't had enough work to judge, and now he's hurt. Georgiev has had a relatively short hot span in the AHL, too short to entrust him with an enlarged No. 2 job. Next year might be the year for Shestyorkin to come to North America (I don't know what is contract situation is) but if it is, starting in the AHL would seem like the thing to do. I'm not seeing someone good for 27 NHL starts in all of this.

Every year is going to be the year when Hank's workload is reduced, and every year it does not happen. With what's going on now, it's obvious that next year really must be the year when this happens (assuming Hank is here, which is still probable). They have to firmly commit to 25-30 starts for the No. 2. Palavek has had some excellent games but really hasn't had enough work to judge, and now he's hurt. Georgiev has had a relatively short hot span in the AHL, too short to entrust him with an enlarged No. 2 job. Next year might be the year for Shestyorkin to come to North America (I don't know what is contract situation is) but if it is, starting in the AHL would seem like the thing to do. I'm not seeing someone good for 27 NHL starts in all of this.

He has another season left on his contract, but there is an option to buy it out.

There are a bunch of "back up goalies" hitting free agency over the summer. Wont be hard to find a body.

Hey, we have this kid, I think he's the #9 prospect in all of hockey, who is lighting up the KHL. He's the perfect age to come over and play 30 or so games.

Anybody remember that guy?

You're better off waiting until the team in front of him is, at the very least, competent, than throw him to the wolves.

Why? They aren't going to be trying to win next year, doesn't matter if the backup can give you 30 good ones or not.

Agreed. Sign a free agent. There will be plenty. Screw it. Bring Pavelic back. Very strange that they used him so sparingly. The point of signing a vet was to reduce Lundqvists work load. They did the opposite. Granted he was playing quite well for a bit, but if I recall correctly he stunk at the start of the season. Guess they don't think much of Pavelic.

Why? He needs to get used to this game and these rinks.

You could make an argument about starting his clock I suppose, but competition wise he should be here next year.

Because you cant really gauge a rookie goalie when hes frustrated by a crappy defense and no offense. I'd say its a confidence thing. If they are truly going to suck next season, and i mean bad, i wouldn't subject him to tjose growing pains. It can ruin a goalie.

Why? He needs to get used to this game and these rinks.

You could make an argument about starting his clock I suppose, but competition wise he should be here next year.

I'm fine with giving him a shot at being the back up... I mean, he's still a back-up on his KHL team, he's not "losing playing time and development" by coming over. Just not sure he wants to, yet.

Maybe we can sign his captain, then convince him to come over.

I'm fine with giving him a shot at being the back up... I mean, he's still a back-up on his KHL team, he's not "losing playing time and development" by coming over. Just not sure he wants to, yet.

Maybe we can sign his captain, then convince him to come over.

Hes the BACKUP? Everyone is jizzing in their pants about this guy and he's not even a starter in the KHL? You sure about that? Pardon the ignorance, but who's his captain?

Hes the BACKUP? Everyone is jizzing in their pants about this guy and he's not even a starter in the KHL? You sure about that? Pardon the ignorance, but who's his captain?

Kovalchuk - a guy who's gonna be 35 next season. He'll lead by example be not even acknowledging there's a defensive side of the puck. Gotta hand it to the guy though he scored two against the USA no names this week. Hell he even made Ryan Gunderson look silly.

Behind an Islanders goalie, nonetheless.

Wait, wait, wait. I'm pretty sure you have that wrong man. There was just a thread/CFC article on this... Aren't they team mates on the Olympic roster and play for different teams in the KHL?

Thats what i get put of reading this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?20041-Sorokin-vs-Shestyorkin-A-Style-Comparison

Wait, wait, wait. I'm pretty sure you have that wrong man. There was just a thread/CFC article on this... Aren't they team mates on the Olympic roster and play for different teams in the KHL?

Thats what i get put of reading this:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?20041-Sorokin-vs-Shestyorkin-A-Style-Comparison

i shit you not, I'm referring to a different Islander's goalie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKA_Saint_Petersburg

i shit you not, I'm referring to a different Islander's goalie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKA_Saint_Petersburg

That link stinks, but upon further review by looking at hockeydb..... FUUUCK. And the guy hes backing up has better numbers and is 29.. I'm no longer expecting this kid to be anything.

WTF!? We're pumping up a guy being outplayed/ sharing time with a career minor leaguer/never was, 2 years in a row? Shit. Draft a goalie. Get Raanta back.

That link stinks, but upon further review by looking at hockeydb..... FUUUCK. And the guy hes backing up has better numbers and is 29.. I'm no longer expecting this kid to be anything.

WTF!? We're pumping up a guy being outplayed/ sharing time with a career minor leaguer/never was, 2 years in a row? Shit. Draft a goalie. Get Raanta back.

Dude, I'm fuckin with you. He should be legit. At least we hope so. He's still young, and they are treated differently in the KHL. He usually outperforms Koskinen, he just doesnt get the playing time because he's younger.

Archived