• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Four Blackhawks Fans Ejected for Racial Taunts at Devante Smith-Pelly

Phil

A Capitals spokesman said the group of four yelled ''basketball, basketball, basketball'' toward Smith-Pelly, who is black. The Blackhawks confirmed in a statement the fans were ''immediately removed.''

Smith-Pelly was not available for comment, but coach Barry Trotz said the player was ''a little upset,'' even though Trotz hadn't yet talked to him in detail.

''There's absolutely no place in the game of hockey or our country for racism,'' Trotz said. ''I think it's disgusting.''

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/02/18/fans-ejected-united-center-racist-taunts-capitals-devante-smith-pelly

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Long gone are the days where you called your friend a wet back spic and he called you a pizza face greaseball as you gave each other a pound and a bro hug.

these two situations are not comparable. What you say to your friends while joking around in private is your own business. This is racism directed at a stranger.

These loser chicago fans were clearly being racist to an NHL player, and were saying he doesn't belong in this game. He should go play the black game. To a guy who has worked harder than they ever have in their lives to get to where he is. He belongs in that arena way more than those dicks. Nobody should be accepting what they said as playful banter.

these two situations are not comparable. What you say to your friends while joking around in private is your own business. This is racism directed at a stranger.

These loser chicago fans were clearly being racist to an NHL player, and were saying he doesn't belong in this game. He should go play the black game. To a guy who has worked harder than they ever have in their lives to get to where he is. He belongs in that arena way more than those dicks. Nobody should be accepting what they said as playful banter.

Yea you took what I said way out of context. That was directed towards what Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said about everything being racist these days. But I agree what they did was wrong.

compared to the Cleveland Indians chief wahoo logo and the Washington Redskins I'd say no.

Well, that is your opinion. How the fuck is a smiling Native American offensive? I personally don't see anything offensive about these logos. Am I Native American? No, and I get that makes my opinion irrelevant. But if their logos were of some Italian guy with a guido blow out haircut or some dude tossing a pizza I wouldn't give two shits either.

Yea you took what I said way out of context. That was directed towards what Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said about everything being racist these days. But I agree what they did was wrong.

Well, that is your opinion. How the fuck is a smiling Native American offensive? I personally don't see anything offensive about these logos. Am I Native American? No, and I get that makes my opinion irrelevant. But if their logos were of some Italian guy with a guido blow out haircut or some dude tossing a pizza I wouldn't give two shits either.

ah my bad on the first point.

on the second point. People take offense to the chief wahoo logo because it's a poor caricature and a very cartoony version of a native American and looks like it's making a mockery of them. I believe you when you say you wouldn't give a shit if there was an italian version of that. But I think it's important to note that it's not really something you have to encounter. There aren't sport teams with logos like that for any other ethnic group.

ah my bad on the first point.

on the second point. People take offense to the chief wahoo logo because it's a poor caricature and a very cartoony version of a native American and looks like it's making a mockery of them. I believe you when you say you wouldn't give a shit if there was an italian version of that. But I think it's important to note that it's not really something you have to encounter. There aren't sport teams with logos like that for any other ethnic group.

So a smiling cartoon is offensive? Everyone wants to be offended by everything. Just because there isn't a team with some kind of offensive Italian jab doesn't take away from me not being offended if there was one.

So a smiling cartoon is offensive? Everyone wants to be offended by everything. Just because there isn't a team with some kind of offensive Italian jab doesn't take away from me not being offended if there was one.

i didn't say it took away from it, just noting its not something you have to or will have to encounter. Having your culture used as a prop. even the name 'Chief Wahoo' just screams mockery

http://media.cleveland.com/naymik/photo/demonstration-again-chief-wahoo-3e6bb5943f3f67cd.jpg

I love this picture. To be fair to the guy though he apparently stopped wearing that and apologized.

The chief wahoo logo though, kind of reminds me of this. Would you use this as a teams logo?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/blackface_3910.jpg

As someone who is Irish, I couldn't give a shit and doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, but that's only your privilege showing. Historically, the Irish colonized the world and were treated with nothing but respect wherever they immigrated to, and in their own country. They never faced slavery, indentured servitude, mass starvation at hand of colonial power, nothing like that at all.

i didn't say it took away from it, just noting its not something you have to or will have to encounter. Having your culture used as a prop. even the name 'Chief Wahoo' just screams mockery

http://media.cleveland.com/naymik/photo/demonstration-again-chief-wahoo-3e6bb5943f3f67cd.jpg

I love this picture. To be fair to the guy though he apparently stopped wearing that and apologized.

The chief wahoo logo though, kind of reminds me of this. Would you use this as a teams logo?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/blackface_3910.jpg

Sure, why not?

Archived