• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Report: McDonagh Submits His Ten-Team No-Trade List

The Dude

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does not seem proactive or in the Ranger's best interest to wait till next year. However, good they leak that shit to TSN. A little uncertainty. Maybe we should say they are happy to keep McD, he will be critical to competing next year and to have with all the kids. Build back his value. Then in a few days leak that we got a great offer, but we know McD value better than anyone.

Of course, expect nothing less. As if he will be more valuable in the off season. Maybe he will because he really is injured?

I also wonder why submitting or updating your NTC list is not kept confidential. Meaning between the player and team.

The teams don’t release that info. It’s always from “sources” aka leaks.

I didnt know he even had a clause in his contract.

If he didn't I could see waiting til the draft being a good option. Would probably be more buyers (teams like Buffalo, Edmonton, Philly(?)) that are in the midst of a rebuild and lacks a #1 D. With the clause that will leave out a lot of those teams unfortunately.

I'm hearing through TSN they might wait till off-season to deal him

I've come off this idea a bit now that we know they asked for his NTC and since he's not playing, but I think a draft-day or pre-draft trade has always made the most sense. To me, it just seems like packaging him in a deal to move up and grab one of the 3 or 4 elite talents in this draft has always seemed like the play, because he's the only guy on the Rangers who you could package with a couple of other first-rounders to move into the top 5.

It also eliminates the variability in the return you're going to get, which is key when you're trading your best player.

I'm for anything that nets us a top return...we can wait on him if we have to. There's always a market for a top D man....always! Getting back the best return is vital with him. After Mac pickin's get kinda slim, very fast!

Well, yea, but you don't want to wait until the start of next season I don't think, because he becomes, at best, the 4th-best D-man with an expiring contract.

Doughty, Karlsson, OEM, will all be UFAs after next season. All three of those teams are likely to be in a similar spot as the Rangers next year.

Well, yea, but you don't want to wait until the start of next season I don't think, because he becomes, at best, the 4th-best D-man with an expiring contract.

Doughty, Karlsson, OEM, will all be UFAs after next season. All three of those teams are likely to be in a similar spot as the Rangers next year.

If they move him at the draft though, they can get a good package of picks/prospects. Most teams at the deadline are looking to dump salary and/or pending free agents. At the draft, you can get a better return IMO. Plus, its before the free agent period starts, so more teams would be willing to part with more assets to make a trade over getting into a bidding war for a player and over spending.

The team acquiring McDonagh at the trade deadline gets him for two playoff runs, this season and next.

A team acquiring him at the draft only gets him for one season. Hard to gauge which trade yields a higher return though, I think.

One benefit of trading him at the draft is that you know which picks you'll be getting, whereas at the deadline, it's still a crapshoot.

I think the team should have a policy of requiring or asking all players with modified no moves to provide lists of teams to which they can be traded or not traded at the various times that those limitations kick in under the contract. That way, submission of these lists will not signal that a player is on the market and cause all of the issues that come with that.

I've come off this idea a bit now that we know they asked for his NTC and since he's not playing, but I think a draft-day or pre-draft trade has always made the most sense. To me, it just seems like packaging him in a deal to move up and grab one of the 3 or 4 elite talents in this draft has always seemed like the play, because he's the only guy on the Rangers who you could package with a couple of other first-rounders to move into the top 5.

It also eliminates the variability in the return you're going to get, which is key when you're trading your best player.

Uggh, another wonderful theoretical rationalizing for passive mgmt. As a fan, I'm up for almost anything but inaction, lack of execution and excuses.

Keep it simple, right now McD is more than a rental. You get 2 playoffs runs from McD, even if you don't sign him to a new contract.

We paid more for Yandle for the same reason and McD is better than Yandle. Unless the GM doesn't take his team's chances seriously or they are stacked at the blueline like Nashville, the return should be strongest now.

Mgmt may not like the pressure of having so many critical trades to make in less than 10 days. But defering hard work and tough decisions should be out of the question. The players aren't the only ones paid to produce.

McD will still have his no trade to 10 teams in the off season, so a bunch of new options should not be expected. Also, teams get much more attached to their picks around draft time. Their scouts have done all the work, the excitement is building and the value of the picks rise. Rarely are teams just looking to trade their top pick for a Vet unless they've been picking near the top for years. Since Edm is probably on McD's no trade list, who else is there?

And using McD to move up say from 11th to 5th, is not my idea of a good return. Even if the guy at 5 is Brady Tkachuk. You use other picks or someone like Miller to move up. McD needs to bring back 3 key assets on his own, not an upgrade of a draft choice. Dahlin is not happening, even for McD and 3 firsts.

Future, you did not mention the only really benefit to waiting. The acquiring team would be able to talk contract extension and know if they are getting McD long term. That is the only good argument.

The problem with this thinking is that you'd need for the team willing to trade for him to not be one of the 10 teams on his NTC list. And what are the chances of that? Plus if there was a team there (say Chicago wins a spot in the top 4 for instance) they have to think that they'll still be competive enough for him to make a difference next season, because after that he's a UFA.

I think you have a much easier chance getting a better return for him from a competitive team this season that thinks he can put them over the edge this year AND still have him next season for another run. You can then use those assets to try to move up into the top 5 at the draft if you want.

Uggh, another wonderful theoretical rationalizing for passive mgmt. As a fan, I'm up for almost anything but inaction, lack of execution and excuses.

Keep it simple, right now McD is more than a rental. You get 2 playoffs runs from McD, even if you don't sign him to a new contract.

We paid more for Yandle for the same reason and McD is better than Yandle. Unless the GM doesn't take his team's chances seriously or they are stacked at the blueline like Nashville, the return should be strongest now.

Mgmt may not like the pressure of having so many critical trades to make in less than 10 days. But defering hard work and tough decisions should be out of the question. The players aren't the only ones paid to produce.

McD will still have his no trade to 10 teams in the off season, so a bunch of new options should not be expected. Also, teams get much more attached to their picks around draft time. Their scouts have done all the work, the excitement is building and the value of the picks rise. I rarely see teams just looking to trade theuir top pick for Veteran's unless they've been picking near the top for years. Since Edm is probably on McD no trade list, who else will be excited to lose their high top pick for a vet?

And using McD to move up from 11th to 5th is not my idea of a good return even though I love the guy we might take at 5. You use other picks or someone like Miller to move up. McD needs to brnig back 3 key assets on his own, not an upgrade of a draft choice. Dahlin is not happening, even for McD and 3 firsts.

Future, you did not mention the only really benefit to waiting. The acquiring team would be able to talk contract extension and know if they are getting him long term. That is the only good arguement I can think of.

This would be the case with a team acquiring him before the deadline, plus they'd actually get a look at him for the rest of the season and as a playoff performer on their team. Let's say Toronto. They get him now, they make their run and then they know what they have if they want to talk extension after July 1st.

I think the team should have a policy of requiring or asking all players with modified no moves to provide lists of teams to which they can be traded or not traded at the various times that those limitations kick in under the contract. That way, submission of these lists will not signal that a player is on the market and cause all of the issues that come with that.

Absolutely, or at least something like what you suggest. They'd be given a chance to update it whenever they want and reminded by their agent near trade deadlines. I don't believe the players necessarily want it public either.

This would be the case with a team acquiring him before the deadline, plus they'd actually get a look at him for the rest of the season and as a playoff performer on their team. Let's say Toronto. They get him now, they make their run and then they know what they have if they want to talk extension after July 1st.

Exactly. That is what I'd want my team to do, especially will all the medicals too. Get to monitor it all, icluding fit and performance, before talking extension.

I was just grasping at what could possibly be a benefit to the argument to wait till the off season. It all sounds like excuses to me. Get it done.

Archived