• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

We Need Another Letter

Giacomin

To follow-up that brilliant proactive forthcoming heartfelt letter to the Blueshirt Faithful (and the rest of the NHL). It would communicate something like...

Hey again :) We realize we telegraphed our moves and publicly gave up on the current team and many of the players. It might have been a little premature in a number of ways. How you ask? Maybe we will keep it to ourselves until after the trade deadline, this time. But remember we did it to show how much we care about you. Yeah you, our absurdly loyal corporate schmoozers.

See, we really don't know exactly what we are doing when it comes to this 'seller' thing. Please be patient with us, we will make mistakes. This isn't like stocking the bar at the corporate suite, this is asset mgmt that needs shrewd managing.

For instance, we now realize that the Isles, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes and some of our others competitors kinda suck, still. No matter how bad we've been since xmas we are in the thick of it with over 30 games to go. To compound our misjudgement, we announced to the world that we are promising you fans a major rebuid, which now means every competitor is trying to rape us of our assets, given our lack of leverage or flexibilty. It also adds to the flooding of the market besides giving ourselves a lot more supply to deal.

In retrospect, we should have just asked you to be patient and that we plan no rise in ticket prices next year. We should have let it be known that we are interested in improving the club now and for the future and that we will be talking to all teams this month. That we are hard at work, seriously assessing the team, situation and all possible options. We will talk to you again, after the deadline.

Our actions and execution will do the talking.

Sincerely,

the guys who are going to deliver younger, faster, smarter, more character and more talent.

I couldn't agree more. The telegraphed aspect of this was unprecedented. It hurt their bargaining position and put the team in more turmoil than it was already in. I'm not opposed to some moves, but this team is not as bad as some believe. They could regain some composure and limp to a playoff spot. If Krieder and Shattenkirk are back in March and two of the four young defensemen now in the lineup prove NHL worthy, the team could make some noise (although that is questionable sans 61 and 40).

I have no delusions about the likelihood of a major playoff run, but what was wrong with keeping your mouths shut and waiting and assessing the situation a week before the deadline?

The whole Sather era has been dubious in terms of personnel moves. The extended playoff run since 2006 is the result of the late drafting of #30, which was an off the cuff momentary decision by Don Maloney that had nothing to do with Slats, and the Bob Gainey psychotic episode known as the Gomez trade, where Slats openly acknowledges that he had never seen McD play before the trade.

I’m not sure why anyone would have a problem with the letter. Do you know how many other fan bases wish their management did the same?

The idea that it hurt their leverage is nonsense. When you put a sign outside your house that says it’s for sale, it doesn’t make it any less valuable.

A week before the deadline? I seriously doubt the letter changes anything. You think a GM picks up the phone and works out a trade deadline deal in a week? Letter or no letter, Gorton has been on the phone letting all the other GM's know who is available.

Gorton should very well have been on the phone to every GM letting them know there is interest in Nash, Grabs, McD, Zuc, Holden, Miller, among others. Every single GM. Then he tells them he may even hold on to any of them, but this year he is definitely open to fair offers such as ......

King, 31, so much of this is nuance, we could have a much more interesting discussion about it over a few beers and still not cover all the ways we could be a little more shrewd. If you think it is all happenstance and any hockey exec can basically get the same job done, then sure the letter does not matter.

Unfortunately, I'm of the belief that some mystery, some unknowns, some savy negotiating has to exist so that there is risk and urgency for all sides. In a highly competitive environment with limited fixed assets in a semi-auction like dynamic setting it behoves one to be opportunistic and look for every chance to gain an edge for your team.

BTW, just because you let every GM know you are open to trading many of our players, does not mean we will. The letter boxed us in more than any one-to-one private phone call.

This mgmt and fan base need look no further than the way they fucked up the Talbot trade (admitted on tape, I will not go thru it again) losing one, maybe two better offers due to mismanagement. Call it some bad decisions. Include Hags and Stralman/Boyle as additional in season and off season mgmt debacles.

Look at Chirelli or other knuckleheads then compare it to the job Yzerman and others are doing for their teams. I don't need mgmt stroking me, they can say plenty by announcing a ticket price freeze. And I don't go to games anymore, so it is not personal.

We need them to find this team a dynamic young star and some first rounders to have a shot a couple of other high upside prospects. Deliver. Don't send us a letter like that almost a month before the deadline.

Gorton should very well have been on the phone to every GM letting them know there is interest in Nash, Grabs, McD, Zuc, Holden, Miller, among others. Every single GM. Then he tells them he may even hold on to any of them, but this year he is definitely open to fair offers such as ......

King, 31, so much of this is nuance, we could have a much more interesting discussion about it over a few beers and still not cover all the ways we could be a little more shrewd. If you think it is all happenstance and any hockey exec can basically get the same job done, then sure the letter does not matter.

Unfortunately, I'm of the belief that some mystery, some unknowns, some savy negotiating has to exist so that there is risk and urgency for all sides. In a highly competitive environment with limited fixed assets in a semi-auction like dynamic setting it behoves one to be opportunistic and look for every chance to gain an edge for your team.

BTW, just because you let every GM know you are open to trading many of our players, does not mean we will. The letter boxed us in more than any one-to-one private phone call.

Unless you have a live feed with audio from Gorton's office, there is a ton of mystery.

It's doubtful Gorton and Sather wrote the letter before telling other owners that they were going to be sellers - they've probably been having conversations on Nash, Grabner, Mac, whoever for a long, long time. An admission in the letter has absolutely 0 impact on trade value and, in all honesty, being a seller or not probably doesn't either.

This mgmt and fan base need look no further than the way they fucked up the Talbot trade (admitted on tape, I will not go thru it again) losing one, maybe two better offers due to mismanagement. Call it some bad decisions. Include Hags and Stralman/Boyle as additional in season and off season mgmt debacles.

Look at Chirelli or other knuckleheads then compare it to the job Yzerman and others are doing for their teams. I don't need mgmt stroking me, they can say plenty by announcing a ticket price freeze. And I don't go to games anymore, so it is not personal.

We need them to find this team a dynamic young star and some first rounders to have a shot a couple of other high upside prospects. Deliver. Don't send us a letter like that almost a month before the deadline.

Is this any different than all the arguments that have been had ad nausem recently? He inherited a team that had just drafted Stamkos and Hedman #1 and #2 in back to back years. Makes it a lot easier for a GM to build a team around those two players. (and he still hasn't found the magic combo after 8 years)

Is this any different than all the arguments that have been had ad nausem recently? He inherited a team that had just drafted Stamkos and Hedman #1 and #2 in back to back years. Makes it a lot easier for a GM to build a team around those two players. (and he still hasn't found the magic combo after 8 years)

Yea, Yzerman hasn't done shit lol

Yes, different argument. We are talking about making deals and hopefully favorable deals. We are talking about a letter. We need to view this as a going forward exercise that can not be determined based on who won recent Cups and if they have generational players and whether it was luck, years of tanking or whatever.

We need to proceed with what positions this club for the best future.

Specifically, I mention the letter. At the very least it should be like the hippocratic oath. Do no harm.

Maybe it does no harm. Maybe mkt value is determined and it is already in the cards what the return will be. But does it really help?

If we do a risk/reward eval, what is really gained by that letter? For cripes sakes couldn't they have at least waited till the first big trade? Couldn't they address the fan base a couple of weeks later? Right now I need our top executives and scouts focused on hockey and personnel and not PR and managing the fanbase. Address us when you have something to report, otherwise you are reinforcing that talk is cheap.

The letter was to fans, basically saying, hey we might suck but we're trying to fix it -- please continue to buy season tickets.

It doesn't hurt their cause. The day before the letter there were 26 scouts in the building. That's basically the whole league. I don't know if you've seen scouts at games but they generally all sit together. They'd be well aware that there was some competition, regardless of a letter to the fans.

I've yet to see a concise reason as to why this letter hurts their chances.

The letter was to fans, basically saying, hey we might suck but we're trying to fix it -- please continue to buy season tickets.

It doesn't hurt their cause. The day before the letter there were 26 scouts in the building. That's basically the whole league. I don't know if you've seen scouts at games but they generally all sit together. They'd be well aware that there was some competition, regardless of a letter to the fans.

I've yet to see a concise reason as to why this letter hurts their chances.

I don't see how it helps, they can say all that and more at the deadline and also discuss any new acquisitions.

Well I was imagining we'd discuss over beers cause there is tons of nuance, but if you want a concise answer...

- we can't play the, "we just won 3 in a row, we are thinking of keeping Nash if all you can do is an iffy prospect and pick".

- or why would we trade McD or Zuc for so little, we plan to compete next year

- or that we added certainty that there is more supply on the mkt, for those citing supply/demand and "what mkt will bare" arguments.

now the response would be... "comeon we saw your letter, you set the table with your fans, your dumping your UFAs and then some."

I don't see how it helps, they can say all that and more at the deadline and also discuss any new acquisitions.

Well I was imagining we'd discuss over beers cause there is tons of nuance, but if you want a concise answer...

- we can't play the, "we just won 3 in a row, we are thinking of keeping Nash if all you can do is an iffy prospect and pick".

- or why would we trade McD or Zuc for so little, we plan to compete next year

- or that we added certainty that there is more supply on the mkt, for those citing supply/demand and "what mkt will bare" arguments.

now the response would be... "comeon we saw your letter, you set the table with your fans, your dumping your UFAs and then some."

They absolutely don't have to trade Zucc and McD. In fact, I'd be shocked if they moved either playoff before the deadline. Both players have term. Both players can be back next year. And I think they're planning on being "competitive" next year unless they get an offer they can't refuse for their key players. If those players get moved, it'll likely be at this summer's draft.

GM: "Hey we saw your letter. We'll give you peanuts for Mcdonaugh."

Gorton: "No thanks." Click.

or that we added certainty that there is more supply on the mkt, for those citing supply/demand and "what mkt will bare" arguments.

If a GM called Gorton he'd find out immediately what's on the market. The GMs are not learning of this fire sale through a letter to the fans. They're just not.

we can't play the, "we just won 3 in a row, we are thinking of keeping Nash if all you can do is an iffy prospect and pick".

Nash is the top rental player available. Letter or no letter, that's a fact. It doesn't matter how many players are on the market. Nash is the best. Period. Their leverage is:

Gorton: "You want Nash? Okay, Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Toronto, and Winnipeg also want him. What are you going to give me that they aren't?"

They absolutely don't have to trade Zucc and McD. In fact, I'd be shocked if they moved either playoff before the deadline. Both players have term. Both players can be back next year. And I think they're planning on being "competitive" next year unless they get an offer they can't refuse for their key players. If those players get moved, it'll likely be at this summer's draft.

Honestly, McD is the secret to the rebuild. We can't afford his next contract given his age/injury risk and he is (at the moment) not a 1 year piece. Therefore it is this trade deadline that will return us the greatest value for him. When his value is highest (2 playoff runs) gives us the best opportunity to bring in a kid with true top-end potential.

So, to play fast and loose with a letter that could impact the way every team thinks about any available asset, particularly McD, does not seem prudent. Too much is riding on this to not get every edge or reveal any unnecessary piece of info.

This example doesn't ring true and lacks all nuance. We are talking degrees of return anyway. "How much can we hold out for" and many other complicated strategies and tactics mgmt and other GMs will employ.

If a GM called Gorton he'd find out immediately what's on the market. The GMs are not learning of this fire sale through a letter to the fans. They're just not.

Not saying they are, but they are learning more about our motivations and committments. Plus Gorton's convos are person-to-person not person-to-everybody. If other GMs want to learn if McD is 'really' on the table, let them call. Why give out free info, unless it is certain to help?

Gorton: "You want Nash? Okay, Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Toronto, and Winnipeg also want him. What are you going to give me that they aren't?"

Love this. Good response. Notice nothing about the letter helped that message.

One thing I should mention. I wrote the OP quickly to both vent and entertain, hopefully with a bit of humor. Just for fun. Stream of consciousness shit, not something too serious. Paddy got a laugh and that is most satifying post I could want!

Nash is the top rental player available. Letter or no letter, that's a fact. It doesn't matter how many players are on the market. Nash is the best. Period. Their leverage is:

Every player is potentially trade bait. But doesn't mean they have to trade anybody unless the deal works for them. Entirely plausible in the case of Zuccarello or McDonagh after the deadline and even after the draft and free agency NYR still think these are guys who can work here. And really with the Karlsson bubble, also tells some teams while there may be other talented players on the market, old and expensive is not something they want back. It isn't 2002 any more.

As an aside, why the hell are the Sens trading for Gaborik, unless to deal him.

Every player is potentially trade bait. But doesn't mean they have to trade anybody unless the deal works for them. Entirely plausible in the case of Zuccarello or McDonagh after the deadline and even after the draft and free agency NYR still think these are guys who can work here. And really with the Karlsson bubble, also tells some teams while there may be other talented players on the market, old and expensive is not something they want back. It isn't 2002 any more.

As an aside, why the hell are the Sens trading for Gaborik, unless to deal him.

Sure we are not forced to trade any non UFAs. However, we should probably want to trade McD while his value is theoretically at its highest.

Let's not lose sight of the big picture, we need to replenish and try to find some high-end youth. McD gives us our best shot at a big return. This is the same mgmt that turned down Rakell/Vatenen for G. We need to make up for that miscue and McD will attract a greater return.

It is all the Sens could get to dump Dion? They wanted to save 5.5 mil on next years cap. More room for Erik.

I?m not sure why anyone would have a problem with the letter. Do you know how many other fan bases wish their management did the same?

The idea that it hurt their leverage is nonsense. When you put a sign outside your house that says it?s for sale, it doesn?t make it any less valuable.

What if on the sign you say "please help me and buy this house, i've already committed to a new house and signed a mortgage and I moved all my family and furniture into the new house"

I'm not sure but i wonder if that might affect leverage. But then then when it comes time to negotiating you could say "oh screw all that stuff i wrote, i don't care about my family and mortgage and commitment, i just wrote all that to get people to call me about the house"

i don't know

What if on the sign you say "please help me and buy this house, i've already committed to a new house and signed a mortgage and I moved all my family and furniture into the new house"

I'm not sure but i wonder if that might affect leverage. But then then when it comes time to negotiating you could say "oh screw all that stuff i wrote, i don't care about my family and mortgage and commitment, i just wrote all that to get people to call me about the house"

i don't know

In your scenario, you go broke because you can't afford both mortgages. The Rangers don't have to trade McD or Zucc, they just told their fans they're open to it.

i don't know

:lol: Ah, another poster with a good sense of humor and even a taste for the sardonic.

This is great, it should be another category on Zillow or realtor.com. "Make me move" already exists to try increase the seller's leverage. People also use it to avoid commish or they are just dreaming that some schmuck offers double its worth. At least "make me move" doesn't populate the MLS database, thus decreasing your home's value.

Our new category is the opposite of make me move. Call it, "In over our heads" or "Bail me out!" or "Why da fuck did I listen to my wife". Maybe we just call it "Desperate" and have customizable sub categories like "About to Divorce", etc.

Archived