• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gauging Returns on an Inevitable Trade - Will Rick Be a Nash-ville or Star?

ClearedForContact

With a fire sale on the way, the New York Rangers have 18 days to find new homes for many of their valuable trade chips. Perhaps none—at least among their Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)—will command a bigger return than Rick Nash. The 33-year old was asked to provide the Rangers with his no-trade list on Monday, which he obliged them with. Since then, the hockey world has been abuzz pondering his possible landing spots. A Darren Dreger update might just shed more light on that:

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/nicholsonhockey/status/961742964744585217

Neither Nashville or Dallas should come as much of a shock if these are indeed number 61’s preferred destinations.

If it’s Nashville for Nash—a ready-made PR gift for Preds’ Director of Communications, Kevin Wilson—then a package including Music City's 2018 first-round pick, one of Dante Fabbro or Eeli Tolvanen, and a lesser pick or prospect would suit the Rangers’ ask.

Fabbro—currently playing for Boston University—was Nashville’s first-round selection in 2016 (17th overall). The 19-year old right-handed defenseman is seen as a mobile blueliner with a good frame.

Or if David Poile were to balk at Fabbro, then perhaps he’d be more amenable to moving Tolvanen – the Preds’ first-round pick (30th overall) taken in 2017. It was a draft he fell precipitously in due to a combination of poor grades not allowing him to make right on his commitment to Boston College (BC) and questions about his overall game.

Still, what Tolvanen does well—really well—is score. Currently playing for Jokerit of the KHL—a club lead by still Rangers’ property Nicklas Jensen—Tolvanen’s 17 goals and 34 points this season have given him sole possession of the best under-19 season in league history. It’s an accomplishment that’s been held by some of the most esteemed players to come out of the KHL – most notably, Evgeny Kuznetsov (17 goals, 32 points in 2010-11), Vladimir Tarasenko (13 goals, 24 points in 2009-10), and Pavel Buchnevich (7 goals, 18 points in 2013-14). Tolvanen also received a KHL All-Star nomination earlier this year.

Read more

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this you Phil? Yep. Good write up. In the other thread I threw out Nash for Fabbro and a 1st. Upon further thought, this would be tough for Nashville to swallow.

Prior, in the Nash thread. I suggested Tolvanen and a #1 just for your excitement. However, we quickly discovered that he is currently ranked as the #2 prospect making him untouchable, for a rental. If The Preds were somehow open to trading Tolvanen, I wonder if we'd be oK with a straight one-for-one.

Forgeting Tolvanen, something like Fabbro and a #1 for Nash and our 3rd, would be my best hope. Hopefully we recapture a 3rd for Holden, regardless. Unfortunately I think the Preds decide to hold both top prospects and offer their #1 and other picks and/or lesser prospects.

Meanwhile Nil falls in love with his picks. Not optimistic on Dallas, after Nil's mutterings about keeping his 1st this year. Doubt they trade Heiskanen either. St Louis is a more likely destination. No 1st rounder, but they draft great and have very attractive prospects in Robert Thomas and Kyrou.

His agent says he’s 50/50 on returning th Dallas next year. I would think playing in ny for the rangers would be an easy sell. Regardless he’s a top talent who Dallas would move. Maybe the rangers ask to speak to him before making the trade and see if he’d come. If so he’s the nhl ready talent to a tee. Would be good value for Nash and would immediately fill a top 6 role

From what I recall on VN, he wanted nothing to do with playing for Lindy Ruff again, so as long as he's employed by the Rangers, that's a no-go.

He's not a great return for Nash, though. He's already Gorton needs to maximize this return. Top, top, top, top, top dollar return. No settling.

Well they may have settle. Of course try and get the best deal but by the deadline they have to take the best deal possible

I disagree. Nash is the cream of the crop of the rental market. There's absolutely no reason for Gorton to settle on his return.

I’m not saying I want him he just fits the mold of what they say they are looking for. He’s young, talented, and nhl ready. He’s also probably being offered maybe even pushed by a reported suitor.

I don’t want Gorton to settle either. Hopefully he gets the deal he’s looking for. But there has to be s team willing to deal the first, the top prospect, and another piece. When push comes to shove Nash has to go by the deadline, there is no other option. If it makes it to the last minute he is going to have to settle. There is no wait for the draft when it comes to Nash.

I’m not saying I want him he just fits the mold of what they say they are looking for. He’s young, talented, and nhl ready. He’s also probably being offered maybe even pushed by a reported suitor.

I don’t want Gorton to settle either. Hopefully he gets the deal he’s looking for. But there has to be s team willing to deal the first, the top prospect, and another piece. When push comes to shove Nash has to go by the deadline, there is no other option. If it makes it to the last minute he is going to have to settle. There is no wait for the draft when it comes to Nash.

Considering there are 8-10 teams actively interested, someone will pay. Perhaps the Rangers compromise somewhat on their ask, but it won't/can't be by much. They're not going from first, top prospect, extra to second, maybe bust of a prospect, whatever other junk is being offered.

Also I hope you’re right that there are 8-10 teams but I doubt it. Nash has 12 teams he can be traded to. Reportedly no Canadian teams. So eliminate the jets, leafs and flames as teams who could use him. We know Nashville and Dallas are on his list and are preferred destinations for him. Would the rangers trade him to the isles, pens or flyers. I don’t know but I would think no. We don’t know if they are on the list. 8-10 seems high though because out of the twelve there has to be some that have no interest because of where they are in development and some of those twelve are also probably rivals.

I think a first and second would satisfy me. Hanzal was in his 20's when he was traded... Nash is 33 and has been regressing every year. I don't think the return will be anything special unless he goes on an absolute tear in the next 2 weeks

Hanzal was 29 going on 30 when he was traded. They're not as far apart as you think, and Nash is a superior player in every facet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nash is the superior player yet hanzel is a center. In the end the only thing that matters is the market. Hanzel did not have a list of 12 teams, nash does. There needs to be multiple teams bidding to get the max value. The rangers just showed their cards. They have to move him. Everyone on the planet knows this. The rangers will get the best offer the market, which is limited by a ntc, will provide. It is possible that there are multiple teams on his list willing to pay the opposite is true too.

I don’t think you’re wrong Phil, I just don’t think we should be expecting a earth moving deal here. I would expect something less than what they are reportedly looking for. A hanzel type trade would be a win from my point of view. I just don’t know if the market will give that.

Most teams covet their firsts and especially so in a deep draft. It’s to bad there isn’t another NY Rangers out there to give us what we want. If I had to think of teams that might overpay I would say the isles because of the Tavares issue and the canes because of their new owner wanting to make an impact.

Would the rangers and isles play ball together? Are the canes on his list?

The Nashville Predators are leading the charge in interest for forward Rick Nash and also seem to covet defenceman Mike Green, according to Sportsnet?s Nick Kypreos.

Nash has been a hot topic in recent days with trade rumours swirling fiercely around the New York Rangers right winger. He submitted a no-trade list to Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton this week and it seems inevitable he?ll be dealt ahead of the Feb. 26 trade deadline.

The Dallas Stars also have significant interest in Nash, adds Kypreos. The 33-year-old impending free agent owns a $7.8-million cap hit (roughly $2.4 million in remaining actual dollars owed). Entering Saturday, he had 17 goals and 27 points in 55 games.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/predators-leading-charge-rick-nash-trade-pursuit/

What about Dante Fabbro? He's a righty Dman 6'1" 195lb drafted in the 1st (17th overall) in 2016. He's a soph at BU currently.

He and a 1st is a fair price and good fit for Nash. If that is too much in return, we could send them back a 3rd round pick. The Preds may be one of the few teams willing to use their first in a trade. They are pretty good at drafting Dmen and seem to be one of the teams that seriously think they can win the Cup and should go for it.

Archived