Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Targeting Young Players

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Targeting Young Players

There are a few teams that have young players that are lower in the standing than they want to be. Teams that aren't really rebuilding but looking for older/different faces to help an already young core.

- Edmonton
    - Carolina
    - Florida
    - Arizona
    - Detroit

Each one of these teams have valuable players. Would there be a creative option to swap someone like Mats Zuccarello or Ryan McDonough to Florida for one of their young stars? Barkov? Ekblad? What about Max Domi? Jeff Skinner? Tartar? RNH?

Saad in Chicago is a buy-low option. It seems like the options are endless with this "fire sale" initiative. Along with picks, younger, skilled players are also in need. I know I'm missing teams and players but it seems like things could get creative here.
    GORTON 2020

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I can't imagine Arizona, Carolina, Florida, or even Detroit interested in our older players....especially those about to his UFA status.
    Edmonton comes to mind, simply because they've been underperforming and may need some leadership. But that is a team leary of signing upcoming UFA players, (due to inability to keep or attract talent).

//reported Junior Division
    Tampa is a great target. They have a million ex-rangers and Yzerman has gone on record to say some of his futures are available.
    LGR!

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;913557]Tampa is a great target. They have a million ex-rangers and Yzerman has gone on record to say some of his futures are available.
    But few impact prospects. They're probably not moving Sergachev either.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    McDonagh also has a 10 team NTC so he might be blocking certain teams that have the assets we would want. Can't imaging he would want Arizona for instance.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Agreed. Rangers are going to have a really tough time moving any veteran assets to bottom feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Miller for RNH

No thanks. The point of moving Miller would be to get young, impact skaters. RNH is already 24 and on a long-term, big money contract. Defeats the purpose. Why not just re-sign Miller if that's what they're going to do?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No thanks. The point of moving Miller would be to get young, impact skaters. RNH is already 24 and on a long-term, big money contract. Defeats the purpose. Why not just re-sign Miller if that's what they're going to do?
    24 is old now?????

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    The Panthers have some nice younger players but doubt they would part with a Barkov and no way they move Ekblad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    24 is old now?????
    No, but it's not 21. The bigger issue on RNH is price. Part of the reason you'd move Miller is becuase he's going to get near $5M on his next deal. So you move him for a guy who makes $6M? Why?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    24 is old when you came in to league at 19, yes.

Age irrelevant, what matters is years of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    24 is old when you came in to league at 19, yes.

Age irrelevant, what matters is years of control.
    Which RNH has zero of.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Brooks was saying that Arizona has made Max Domi available, but what they want in return I really don’t know

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No, but it's not 21. The bigger issue on RNH is price. Part of the reason you'd move Miller is becuase he's going to get near $5M on his next deal. So you move him for a guy who makes $6M? Why?
    First, I wanna backtrack and say we need to be focused on moving Nash, Grabs, Holden and likely McD and teams like the above are not really candidates for the UFAs. McD doesn't really work with any of those clubs either, for diff reasons. Therefore, we can't be spending time dealing with those teams at the moment. Additionally, if I'm going to trade Miller or Zuc, I'll wait to get all offers and explore if either could be part of a bigger package.

For that reason, I don't do Miller for RNH at the moment. However, if you told me the day before the deadline that we traded Nash, Grabs and McD for Tolvanen, Kyrou and two #1s, then I'd say trade Miller for RNH.

Why? 6 mil for the next 3 prime years is almost perfect. Maybe better than Miller at 5 mil for 5 years. RNH is only making 15% more. Just being a legit top 6 C is worth the extra 15%. Also RNH is a better player and likely will continue to be a better player. His O is as good and his D is light years ahead of Miller. That is also worth the extra mil.

Plus if the trades yield us wingers and D, we still need a C. The draft is strong on D and wingers too. Chytil and Lias can play wing, as well. RNH does not have a NTC, we can move him later if we want.

So, it's a binary decision. Would you rather have RNH at 6 mil for 3 or Miller at 5 mil for 5? If the other trades do not yield a C prospect, the answer is RNH.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 02-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Brooks was saying that Arizona has made Max Domi available, but what they want in return I really don’t know
    The Arizona broadcaster said such last week. He said they want a 1st plus a young roster player, but they'd be open to other options. Doesn't feel like a fit though. Also don't see Arizona much, but I haven't been that impressed.

BTW, I really don't mean to pine for a Miller/RNH trade, it is not what I'm worried about at the moment. Plus, I'd actually prefer if RNH had 4 years left on his deal, instead of 3.

Targeting Young Players

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post

You could probably work a deal around Miller.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Targeting Young Players

What! A 1 st Rd pick! Domi has 4 goals this year and has been on a decline since his rookie year. They are not gonna get much more than what they got for Anthony Duclair. Duclair has 20pts in 44games Domi has 22 pts in 54 games.

Any team trading for him is taking a big risk—-But it could be a big reward if they can fix him.

Last edited by Mr.wiskers; 02-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Rnh would have been a target for this season.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    The Arizona broadcaster said such last week. He said they want a 1st plus a young roster player, but they'd be open to other options. Doesn't feel like a fit though. Also don't see Arizona much, but I haven't been that impressed.
    Domi would be a fit in a sense that he's a high-upside young player. The problem is that he's not on a team willing to take on vets, and it's hard to think of any team giving up much in the way of picks/prospects for him. It woudl almost have to be a change of scenery thing for it to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast