Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Targeting Young Players

Senior Member Squirt Division
    No thanks on Domi - hasn't shown anything to justify the belief he's going to hit whatever high ceiling he was projected to hit. His play has only continued to deteriorate. I get it his on a shit team but he's more of a risk than anything at this point in his career. I would be beyond shocked if anybody gave up a first round pic for him. We already have enough young guys that haven't proven to be what we thought they would be.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    No thanks on Domi - hasn't shown anything to justify the belief he's going to hit whatever high ceiling he was projected to hit. His play has only continued to deteriorate. I get it his on a shit team but he's more of a risk than anything at this point in his career. I would be beyond shocked if anybody gave up a first round pic for him. We already have enough young guys that haven't proven to be what we thought they would be.
    What young players do the Rangers have that haven't hit their ceiling?

The fact that his play has gone downhill is why you could try to pry him away from ARZ, but you don't do it at a high price to minimize risk. He's the ideal low-risk, high reward candidate.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

The fact that his play has gone downhill is why you could try to pry him away from ARZ, but you don't do it at a high price to minimize risk. He's the ideal low-risk, high reward candidate.
    Agreed. Rangers don’t have any high skill guys (aside from buch). We know what Miller is. We know what Hayes is. We know what Vesey is. Someone like Domi would be a risk worth taking imo.
    GORTON 2020

said it before I think Vesey, Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, and if they haven't underachieved that's even worse because that means they're just not remotely good enough to move this team forward. Forget the rest of the garbage forwards on the team (excluding Nash, Zucc and Grabner). Who hasn't underachieved of flat out just isn't good enough, Fast and Hayes?
    Last edited by jsrangers; 02-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.

said it before I think Vesey, Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, and if they haven't underachieved that's even worse because that means they're just not remotely good enough to move this team forward. Forget the rest of the garbage forwards on the team (excluding Nash, Zucc and Grabner). Who hasn't underachieved, Fast and Hayes?
    Fair enough, I guess I just wasn't really considering them young guys. Didn't consider Buch but he's, realistically, still int he development phase.

I think your expectations for Vesey, Miller, Kreider and Zib are too high. Vesey was a third-round pick who is in his second season, Zib was a PPG player before the injury. Miller and Kreider maybe can be a bit more productive, but it's not like they're going to be 80-point guys.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No, but it's not 21. The bigger issue on RNH is price. Part of the reason you'd move Miller is becuase he's going to get near $5M on his next deal. So you move him for a guy who makes $6M? Why?
    I think RNH is the better player and fills a need here on this roster. I know he will be compared to Stepan, but i think hes better all around and may benefit more from a change of scenery. Ive never been big on Miller and don't like the idea of going into his next contract. Id rather pay RNH to be what he is, than give Miller upwards of 5.5 to be the constant enigma. I honestly hope he and McD get deslt more so than Nash and Grabner. I just don't want them here going forward.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I'd give a 2nd round pick and maybe a mid-level prospect for Domi. A 1st round pick+ is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I'd give a 2nd round pick and maybe a mid-level prospect for Domi. A 1st round pick+ is nonsense.
    I still think that's probably too high. One or the other. If they were into, say, Ryan Graves, say him and a 4th. Something like that.

Fair enough, I guess I just wasn't really considering them young guys. Didn't consider Buch but he's, realistically, still int he development phase.

I think your expectations for Vesey, Miller, Kreider and Zib are too high. Vesey was a third-round pick who is in his second season, Zib was a PPG player before the injury. Miller and Kreider maybe can be a bit more productive, but it's not like they're going to be 80-point guys.
    at the end of the day I think the problems run so deep across this roster that it's going to be a long road back. Zib has been back for how long now, he seems to be a one trick pony he'll shoot from the dot, I don't think he's much of a playmaker, would love to be proven wrong on all of this.

Senior Member Junior Division

Agreed. Hes a definite target and would probably draw fan attention to a rebuilding team as the fan base adores his father. I definitely think if hrs available, the Rangers need to look into it. I can't gauge ehat the price would be. I highly doubt they move him for anything less than a lottery pick. Id do Miller plus for him. He can be a dynamic scorer if put on a good line.

at the end of the day I think the problems run so deep across this roster that it's going to be a long road back. Zib has been back for how long now, he seems to be a one trick pony he'll shoot from the dot, I don't think he's much of a playmaker, would love to be proven wrong on all of this.
    I think this season, unfortunately, is kind of going to be a wash for him. The KZB line was awesome until all the injuries hit. If they played 70-something games together, who knows where they all end up or what the discussion is today.

Shooting from the dot on the PP is a good thing. Every team needs guys who can do it and, he's not the best in the world at it, but he's enough to be a threat. Over the last few games with the PP being better, it's largely been with Zib firing more than he was when he first came back.

You're right in that he hasn't really been good since he's been back, but the whole team was bad for a while and coming back from a concussion is just more difficult than I think people realize.

I think this season, unfortunately, is kind of going to be a wash for him. The KZB line was awesome until all the injuries hit. If they played 70-something games together, who knows where they all end up or what the discussion is today.

Shooting from the dot on the PP is a good thing. Every team needs guys who can do it and, he's not the best in the world at it, but he's enough to be a threat. Over the last few games with the PP being better, it's largely been with Zib firing more than he was when he first came back.

You're right in that he hasn't really been good since he's been back, but the whole team was bad for a while and coming back from a concussion is just more difficult than I think people realize.
    I think even when healthy he's not a top line center and that's what they've asked him to be. In a sense setting him up to disappoint from the starting line. TIme will tell I was really excited to get him but now have more questions than answers. If he does indeed not step it up we're probably in bigger trouble than we think going into next season. Hopefully he turns it all around.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 02-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I'm a believer in Zibanejad, and I appreciate his talent but it would be a mistake to make him someone he's not. They need a C at least as effective as him (Stepan Brassard redux) or, preferably, better by the end of this rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'm a believer in Zibanejad, and I appreciate his talent but it would be a mistake to make him someone he's not. They need a C at least as effective as him (Stepan Brassard redux) or, preferably, better by the end of this rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it.
    Yea, I think this is the end game. I don't think they envision him as a true 1c, but he can be really effective in a specific role as part of a deep c group. He's basically the same type of #1c that stepan was.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I dunno about that. Stepan ate big minutes against the other teams top competition. And from what I can recall with mostly dZ starts. Maybe Zibanejad gets there but he's not that player yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Stepan had a few seasons as a really good shutdown center before he started sliding off. I don't think Zib gets anything close to that given that he hasn't really shown much defensively.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie

All about that top-end talent.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I dunno about that. Stepan ate big minutes against the other teams top competition. And from what I can recall with mostly dZ starts. Maybe Zibanejad gets there but he's not that player yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Same type in that he's like the 25th-best center in the league, so technically a number one. Not style of play.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Stepan was more rounded, Zib is more dynamic.

The good news is, that in Andersson and Chytil, they have at least a decent chance of filling the need internally though not immediately.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Stepan was more rounded, Zib is more dynamic.

The good news is, that in Andersson and Chytil, they have at least a decent chance of filling the need internally though not immediately.
    The Rangers really need this to happen and looking good so far.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast