Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Rangers Recall D John Gilmour

  1. #1
    Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    2

    Rangers Recall D John Gilmour

    With Brendan Smith officially re-assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack, New York Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton has recalled defenseman John Gilmour from the Hartford Wolf Pack this morning:


  2. #2
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,843
    Rep Power
    141
    DeAngelo, Gilmour, Pionk all in the lineup will be fun to watch, assuming that's what NYR does.

    This has to also mean that Holden, at least, is on his way out the door.

    Edit: take that back, looking like Staal is going to IR.
    Last edited by Future; 02-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,123
    Rep Power
    281
    "Fun"?


    Theyll look worse than Shattenkirk Smith Holden
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,130
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    "Fun"?


    Theyll look worse than Shattenkirk Smith Holden
    Paid less, too.

    With theoretically more potential than an injured d-man and his boneheaded friend.

    It'll be "fun" to see what happens. What hasn't been "fun" has been watching this ship slowly sink for the past 2 months.

  5. #5
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,843
    Rep Power
    141
    It's fun to watch rookies try to make plays and fuck up a few times along the way.

    It's not fun to watch 30 year olds play safe hockey and still fuck up all the time.
    Last edited by Future; 02-09-2018 at 03:12 PM.

  6. #6
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,955
    Rep Power
    430
    Gilmour can fly, so yes, fun. Better than watching Staal or Kampfer crawl up the ice with walkers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    It's fun to watch rookies try to make plays and fuck up a few times along the way.

    It's not fun to watch 30 year olds play safe hockey and still fuck up all the time.
    Couldn't have said it better


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    553
    Rep Power
    17
    I don't see it as fun either more of a different kind of clown show with some character changes. I think what this will prove out over time is there's virtually no depth of any quality down there to lean on especially at this time. Is it necessary - yeah, but it's not gonna be fun or pretty. Just a different kind of stink in the air.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 02-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,339
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Gilmour can fly, so yes, fun. Better than watching Staal or Kampfer crawl up the ice with walkers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    @NYRStatsInfo: John Gilmour is tied for seventh among AHL defensemen in assists (20) and points (26) this season. He won the Fastest Skater title during the AHL All-Star Skills Competition with a time of 13.663 seconds, which was the fourth-fastest time in the event's history. #NYR

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,554
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    It's fun to watch rookies try to make plays and fuck up a few times along the way.

    It's not fun to watch 30 year olds play safe hockey and still fuck up all the time.
    Hell yeah. Anything is more fun than the shit we saw against Boston. Toronto could have been just as bad, but I was distracted scouting the Leaf kids. They were fun to watch.

    Fun is just one part of the equation. Let's be a little pragmatic and give these older AHL kids some burn up here. See what they got. Help them adjust to the speed of the game. Get the keepers more experience for next year. Get a real jump on evaluations.

  11. #11
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Hell yeah. Anything is more fun than the shit we saw against Boston. Toronto could have been just as bad, but I was distracted scouting the Leaf kids. They were fun to watch.

    Fun is just one part of the equation. Let's be a little pragmatic and give these older AHL kids some burn up here. See what they got. Help them adjust to the speed of the game. Get the keepers more experience for next year. Get a real jump on evaluations.
    "Help them adjust to the speed of the game."
    — That's always a huge hurdle.
    better sooner than later

    "Get the keepers more experience for next year."
    — I wonder if any of Gilmour and Pionk are "keepers." I really hope so. But these days I have little faith in this org not to skip developing prospects and take the "safe way" mediocre path into next season by bringing in more Kampfer-types. But who knows, maybe even that route has had its day; maybe we'll see a more committed rebuild. But keep some guys who are good to show them the way, and who will still be young enough by the time the team turns around. That is if they even want to stay.

    "Get a real jump on evaluations."
    One can only hope they really do. It's difficult, because of reason 1 above. They have to adjust to the speed of the game first.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 02-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,843
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    "Get the keepers more experience for next year."
    — I wonder if any of Gilmour and Pionk are "keepers." I really hope so. But these days I have little faith in this org not to skip developing prospects and take the "safe way" mediocre path into next season by bringing in more Kampfer-types.
    I think moving away from the Kampfers is exactly what that press conference was all about. You keep a guy like Kampfer, even if he's got a low ceiling, over a young player to remove variance. When you're not contending, that doesn't really matter.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    I'm actually going to enjoy watching these kids grow up! The hell with it...I hope they win this one!! ...even in spite of Mr Softy back there!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,554
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    "Help them adjust to the speed of the game."
    — That's always a huge hurdle.
    better sooner than later

    "Get the keepers more experience for next year."
    — I wonder if any of Gilmour and Pionk are "keepers." I really hope so. But these days I have little faith in this org not to skip developing prospects and take the "safe way" mediocre path into next season by bringing in more Kampfer-types. But who knows, maybe even that route has had its day; maybe we'll see a more committed rebuild. But keep some guys who are good to show them the way, and who will still be young enough by the time the team turns around. That is if they even want to stay.

    "Get a real jump on evaluations."
    One can only hope they really do. It's difficult, because of reason 1 above. They have to adjust to the speed of the game first.
    No better way to find out what they are made of then throwing in during the playoff stretch and see how they respond. These are not our 18 y/o 1st round picks. These are kids who have been building for this moment. A chance to play in the NHL. A chance to play so well you stay in the NHL.

    They'll have to adjust to the speed and talent, but better now than later. Yet, for some of these guys it is not the mistakes they make, but what they flash. Learning from their mistakes is important, but are they growing and improving. Adjusting and producing. Later we can find out if they can be consistent.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 02-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,821
    Rep Power
    101
    If you're going to suck, at least do it with young guys in the lineup. I'm actually excited to see these guys play tonight.
    GORTON 2020

  16. #16
    Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    7

    John Gilmour has been called up

    The Rangers have announced that defenseman John Gilmour has been called up from Hartford.

    Gilmour, 24, was an AHL all-star this past season and won the fastest skater competition with a time of "13.663 seconds, which is the fourth-fastest time in the event's history." (NYR Press Release)

    He has 26 points in 44 games this season and in his two-year AHL career, he has 12 goals and 39 assists in 120 games.

    "Prior to beginning his professional career, Gilmour played four seasons of collegiate hockey at Providence College (2012-13 - 2015-16), and he helped Providence win the National Championship in 2014-15." (NYR Press Release)


    Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Lt. Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    121
    McDonagh’s out today with a UBI

    @RickCarpiniello

    McDonagh out with upper-body injury, which he's had, so Pionk and Gilmour make their NHL debuts.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    553
    Rep Power
    17
    purely coincidental on McD.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,227
    Rep Power
    70
    Do we want to put these kids out there with this bummed roster and this coach?

    If McD is out, this gives AV a chance to play Holden 60 minutes.

  20. #20
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,821
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Do we want to put these kids out there with this bummed roster and this coach?

    If McD is out, this gives AV a chance to play Holden 60 minutes.
    Yep. Kids can't be any worse. it's not about winning, it's about evaluating. They know that.
    GORTON 2020

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •