• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fans Should Be PO'd

Blueshirts1926

This fire sale is NY Ranger money problems. Dumping the list of players with talent vs resigning some of the players is money problems. The list came over the NHL network last night ( don't know how to import an image) so the list is Nash, Grabner, Holden, Hayes, McDonaugh, Zuccarello, Lundqvist and Smith (and who else are they are not telling us). Who is left to play on the 2018 Rangers but scrubs players, rookies and prospects. Let's see how long AV will last. Nash, Grabner, Holden goodbye, If Smith is a locker room cancer then fine but the rest it's just plain stupid. Hank, McD and Zucc ( a goalie, Defenseman and forward) stay to teach the youth.

Living in Arizona this is what the coyotes have done and they are the worst team in the league and will continue to be the worst. Oh Mike Smith is to old can't play anymore really let's look at where Calgary is now that they have a goalie. Smith is on a team with some F......G talent. So how many of you would go to the garden for a game because the team is shit, get 4 LOWER LEVEL tickets, 4 Beers and 4 dogs for 99 to 129.00 TOTAL. They are dying for fans which is why is 3 years they will be the Seattle XXXXXXXX fill in the blank.

2018/2019 NY Rangers will be the Arizona Coyotes 2.0, nothing but a crap product on ice. This is BS from the organization and Sather is a fucking clown. Everyone on this board knows he was no master mind of the Oilers 5 cups in 7 years its because it was loaded with talent. Sather walked in the locker room, flips the auto pilot switch on and leaves the game and that team was still winning cups.

You have to mix talent and with youth to win and not do an Arizona plan. If everyone on the list above is gone the 2018 Rangers wins no more then 15 games. We are not getting Dahlin he is Arizona (seattle) or Buffalo. Chtyl and Andersson not even ready. Toronto is not giving up Nylander. They won't sign anyone on the above list and some on this board thinks Taveras is coming, really!

So for Hank trade him to Chicago. They need a goalie as Crawford sucks and is injury prone, Forsbergs a backup, they get another defenseman and they are back in the final because they have talent.

Yes, I am pissed off today about my team!

Glen Sather quote from 2004 ‘’We were trying to rebuild since the first day I got here, while at the same time trying to be competitive on the ice at the NHL level,’’ Sather said after trading Leetch.

Prior to the fire sale of 2004 Sather traded for Pavel Bure, Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr, Alexei Kovalev, Mike Dunham, and Tom Poti. He also signed big ticket free agents like Bobby Holik and Darius Kasparaitis. The result of all those blockbuster deals and big contracts? The Rangers failed to qualify for the playoffs for four consecutive years before admitting defeat in March of 2004.

‘’Anyone that’s a Ranger fan or a Ranger is obviously disappointed the last seven years,’’ Mark Messier said after the smoke cleared on deadline day 2004. ‘’To see it unfold the way it has and to see Brian traded in the end, I guess it’s bottomed out.’’

Disagree...don't think it has anything to do with money. The organization does pretty well from a profit perspective.

They made a decision to get value for their assets and shakeup their currently stale, underperforming roster instead of barely making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round...

As annoying as that may be for season ticket holders, I'm actually happy they acknowledged that they don't have the horses to win a cup. Playoffs are nice, but they're just additional games at the end of the season if you don't win it all.

All good runs must come to an end. No team is going to constantly be a contender non-stop. Even Chicago has faded from their glory, with two first round exits (including a sweep) and a likely season without playoffs at all this year. There's no way Chicago would trade for Lundqvist and they are no longer a team that I'd think is a perennial contender. Even with Crawford earlier this season, they didn't look great, and Crawford was standing on his head to even keep them competitive.

It sucks we didn't win a cup during our 12 of 13 playoff appearances. but that's the nature of the beast. As Ba Ba Bluey said, we don't have the horses to make a run. This team could sneak into a playoff spot, sure. They could lose in 5 games in the first round. Would that really be worth it?

We won't be as bad as AZ is. Despite the rumors of some good players being traded, there will still be talent here, with youth on its way up to replace them. Not to mention any young players we get in return for our trades (I doubt everyone is going for solely draft picks)

The rangers are and will never be Arizona. They won’t be trading for teams long term huge contracts for players who are injured. They will also not be afraid to pursue ufas that make sense to speed up their rebuild. Even more importantly because they are not Arizona those players will want to sign here.

Arizona has youth but nothing else. They have built a culture of losing. The foundation there doesn’t even have the stability of where they will be playing or if their franchise will even be solvent. That is not the baseline here.

The rangers need the youth. They need to construct a new core and although I understand your frustration in trading some of the names you listed. Those are the guys that can net you the assets to build that core. The longer they waited the less valuable those guys become on the market. It is a smart yet painful decision. One if done correctly will limit the pain that was surely coming.

I’m actually excited about the possibilities. I’m not naive enough to think that this will be easy but I’m not naive enough to think what they had was good enough or entertaining either. Big changes have been necessary for awhile. Stating rebuild on the fly this past off season was admission from the FO that they could see the train coming. They gave it a last crack this season. The lack of depth in this organization was troubling for all who cared to notice. Rebuilding that depth and rebuilding our foundation is smart management.

We all love hank. He’s not going to Chicago as they are the most cap strapped team in the league. It sucks seeing his last years be part of a rebuild. When he signed his contract everyone knew that his contract would make him unmovable. That is his burden as it is the rangers. He may want to leave but his contract is a cup chasing death sentence. He’s stuck but he has his money. It’s not worst thing as he’s a great presence for the youth to learn from and there is nothing wrong with being able to appreciate him as the rangers go into this transition.

Better days are ahead. Painful decisions and departures for sure. My love is for the team first and foremost. This team did not short sale this core or fans in pursuit of the cup. Four straight years they ent without a first in their chase. They are always in rightly ot wrongly in trying to win. The bill is past due and it’s time to pay up and get their house in order. Appreciate the run they had but it’s time to move on. What is here now can’t get it done and I appreciate the FO for having larger aspirations than just a playoff entry. I want a cup and I will support this team in rightfully changing direction to chase one.

We're probably going to see a lot of these posts and while I sincerely sympathize, we have to accept we just lived through a Golden Age of Ranger hockey, an age where you could actually be proud to be a Ranger fan and an age that immediately proceeded an age of such total futility and ineptitude that it seemed we would never emerge from it.

The goal, for me, is to avoid that same garbage at any cost. If this means taking a year to reset, than it is what it is and I'm 100% behind it.

It's also worth remembering that they have to play the games next year and this team is probably going to have a lot of talent on it, even if it's a little unpolished,so who knows what can happen.

As a season ticket holder nothing frustrates me more than the rising ticket prices for a perceived success that never happened. Success is not half measure. They raised prices as if they were a dynasty. Every year they cut the fan appreciation events they had. Coming out of the lockout they went out of their way to care for the season ticket holder. Skate at the garden, meet and greets, fan forums, etc. My tickets cost $25-30 2006. Today $90. Last year $72, the year before $54. That is for the last row in the building. I love the direction they are going in. A change in attitude towards their season ticket holders would be a breath of ffrsh air as well.

Not sure how they sell dynamic pricing during a rebuild though. Are they going to pay me to watch games like the Boston game? Now that would be dynamic.

I get being frustrated with no longer being competitive, but this has been long overdue. Everyone knew that when the Rangers sent off three first-round picks in three years that they would eventually have to do something to recoup lost assets. This is them having to do that now. They didn't win, and now they're a team filled with mostly complementary players on bloated contracts trying not to hand out more. It's not a "money problem" it's a budgeting issue. The Rangers play in a cap league and have nor the cap space nor the assets to continuously push for the Cup. The league doesn't work like that anymore.

This team won't end up like the Coyotes so long as it doesn't rely solely on the youth to do the work. Arizona has rushed prospects and thrown them into difficult situations to get back to competitiveness. The Rangers usually don't do that and hopefully won't in this case. Hopefully, an improved Hartford also allows for further development for some of the other prospects.

Some other things:

Mike Smith has gone from bottom feeder to a middle of the pack team. Of course his save percentage should go up in this situation. It's also gone up .06 which is nothing too absurd. Let's also not pretend that Arizona ruined him. He was a former Vezina nominee (with Arizona) and also helped backstop the Coyotes all the way to the Conference Finals.

Corey Crawford is tied for third in SV% and fourth in GAA. He's not remotely part of the issue in Chicago. The last thing they need is Lundqvist.

If you want to avoid 2004 embrace the rebuild NOW. If the Rangers tried to prevent themselves from rebuilding they'd hurt themselves even more.

We're probably going to see a lot of these posts and while I sincerely sympathize, we have to accept we just lived through a Golden Age of Ranger hockey, an age where you could actually be proud to be a Ranger fan and an age that immediately proceeded an age of such total futility and ineptitude that it seemed we would never emerge from it.

The goal, for me, is to avoid that same garbage at any cost. If this means taking a year to reset, than it is what it is and I'm 100% behind it.

It's also worth remembering that they have to play the games next year and this team is probably going to have a lot of talent on it, even if it's a little unpolished,so who knows what can happen.

Between this post and Fatty's what else needs to be said. Perfect.

Add Phillyb's post for humor and you three are delivering great therapy.

They?re trying to get younger and faster, clearly the direction the league has been going in, what?s there to be upset about? 2 conference finals, stanley cup final, presidents trophy? Rather than be upset, why not give some props? We should be glad they recognize where they are rather than shoving it down our throats like years past.

This just doesn?t make any sense to me.

The rangers are and will never be Arizona. They won’t be trading for teams long term huge contracts for players who are injured. They will also not be afraid to pursue ufas that make sense to speed up their rebuild. Even more importantly because they are not Arizona those players will want to sign here.

Arizona has youth but nothing else. They have built a culture of losing. The foundation there doesn’t even have the stability of where they will be playing or if their franchise will even be solvent. That is not the baseline here.

The rangers need the youth. They need to construct a new core and although I understand your frustration in trading some of the names you listed. Those are the guys that can net you the assets to build that core. The longer they waited the less valuable those guys become on the market. It is a smart yet painful decision. One if done correctly will limit the pain that was surely coming.

I’m actually excited about the possibilities. I’m not naive enough to think that this will be easy but I’m not naive enough to think what they had was good enough or entertaining either. Big changes have been necessary for awhile. Stating rebuild on the fly this past off season was admission from the FO that they could see the train coming. They gave it a last crack this season. The lack of depth in this organization was troubling for all who cared to notice. Rebuilding that depth and rebuilding our foundation is smart management.

We all love hank. He’s not going to Chicago as they are the most cap strapped team in the league. It sucks seeing his last years be part of a rebuild. When he signed his contract everyone knew that his contract would make him unmovable. That is his burden as it is the rangers. He may want to leave but his contract is a cup chasing death sentence. He’s stuck but he has his money. It’s not worst thing as he’s a great presence for the youth to learn from and there is nothing wrong with being able to appreciate him as the rangers go into this transition.

Better days are ahead. Painful decisions and departures for sure. My love is for the team first and foremost. This team did not short sale this core or fans in pursuit of the cup. Four straight years they ent without a first in their chase. They are always in rightly ot wrongly in trying to win. The bill is past due and it’s time to pay up and get their house in order. Appreciate the run they had but it’s time to move on. What is here now can’t get it done and I appreciate the FO for having larger aspirations than just a playoff entry. I want a cup and I will support this team in rightfully changing direction to chase one.

I cannot agree with you guys more! Well said, fellas!

We'll see. One step at a time.

Do we acquire a near ready top prospect or two? Or is most of the compensation toward draft picks? What years? How high we picking? How opportunistic are we this month? What about around July? We'll see.

Haven't heard or interpretted any time frame to the rebuild lately. Like Dunny said, doubt they have a 5 year plan.

Adjust you expectations accordingly. Let's see what happens this month.

So true. Even though it's a different situation, look at Vegas this year. Nobody expected that on a team of young kids with mostly bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen (at the time) drafted from other rosters. Sometimes the unexpected happens in professional sports. It's a slim possibility, but it's possible a rebuild does not take 3-5 years to field a good team.

As a season ticket holder nothing frustrates me more than the rising ticket prices for a perceived success that never happened. Success is not half measure. They raised prices as if they were a dynasty. Every year they cut the fan appreciation events they had. Coming out of the lockout they went out of their way to care for the season ticket holder. Skate at the garden, meet and greets, fan forums, etc. My tickets cost $25-30 2006. Today $90. Last year $72, the year before $54. That is for the last row in the building. I love the direction they are going in. A change in attitude towards their season ticket holders would be a breath of ffrsh air as well.

Not sure how they sell dynamic pricing during a rebuild though. Are they going to pay me to watch games like the Boston game? Now that would be dynamic.

dolan may get the message if fans stopped buying tickets.

Archived