Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Gorton, Glen Sather Pen Message to Fans Ahead of Deadline

Senior Member Junior Division
    so i shouldn't also get his name and number tattooed on my back?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    so i shouldn't also get his name and number tattooed on my back?
    Finally covering up the Mara tat?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

you must have me confused with someone else. I had the Fedetenko that I got lasered off for the Klein

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Oh god, what? Fast? Who cares? No one is untouchable.

I will say, however, if Hank is traded, I'll be shocked and a little sad. They need change for sure but that would make me sad.
    As would I. He is my favorite Ranger, ever. But keeping him for sentimental reasons doesn't help this team or him. Might as well get any random goalie to get beat down the next 2-3 seasons while this team rebuilds.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshirts1926 View Post
    Trading Zuc is a bad idea considering the last 3 of 4 years he lead this team in scoring. He would be valuable to the young guys.

Need to go: Nash, Smith, Holden, Pavelic and Grabner, Staal, Fast, Desharnais, Carey, Kampfer, need to go.

Next to stay: Zuc, Hank ( mentor to the young backup) Vesey, Shatternkirk, Skjei, Krieder (on short leash), Zibanejad, MIller, Hayes, Buchnevich, Holden ???, DeAngelo (will be better). The rest gets filled in to make the team youth and FA's.

Even of you tank the rest pf the season they will not get Dahlin. He is going to Arizona or Bujffalo. Best they could get is 5,6,7
    So Fast a player hardly taking up cap space and can fill in anywhere in the lineup especially during a rebuild has to go? Lol. for what a 6th rounder? But Zucc stay who can be dealt to obtain a 1st rounder and high rated NHL ready prospect? We would have to give up assets to rid of Staals contract so essentially your telling me our rebuild should consist of trading away assets and obtaining late round picks?

Senior Member Squirt Division Blueshirts1926's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Not getting too much for those guys. Other names are being floated because they will return significant assets that may help the team, long-term

Adding to my above post keep Zucc extend him a few years to work with the young guys and give him the official C instead of McD because he will be gone.

The press conference for Gortin sounds like a few years then why even keep Hank as a 39 yr old Goalie going for the cup, NOPE!

Adding to my above post keep Zucc extend him a few years to work with the young guys and give him the official C instead of McD because he will be gone.

The press conference for Gortin sounds like a few years then why even keep Hank as a 39 yr old Goalie going for the cup, NOPE!
    Hank signed a full NMC. So... it's up to Hank who sounds like he still wants to be here. If he changes his mind at any point, I'm sure he'll be moved too.
    GORTON 2020

We will get more from 48 year old Henrik playing in net than we would get in a trade.

Trading him at this point will not yield a good return, nothing close to his worth, and would be a "trade just to make a trade". That will only happen when Lundqvist wants it to happen, and he's done enough for the organization where he can make those decisions.

Also, this is still a rebuild on the fly, regardless of how people want to interpret the "dont get mad when we trade Zucc" letter. Nothing turns around a rebuild quicker than solid goaltending. And we got that Russian kid waiting in the wings. At worst, Henrik is a great stop-gap.

Senior Member Squirt Division Blueshirts1926's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Hank signed a full NMC. So... it's up to Hank who sounds like he still wants to be here. If he changes his mind at any point, I'm sure he'll be moved too.
    This is was really bugs me or pisses me off about Gortin and Sather. As bas as this team has been playing ( really bad) yet only 3 pts out of the playoffs. So why wave the white flag for the future THAT MAY OR MAY NOT pan out. Last year Nashville was basically the 16th team based on record correct but still made the cup final. Anything can happen and I was taught never to give up and quit which is was these 2 bums are doing. So if they are waving the white flag ( they being Gorting and Sather) we can not be pissed ot AV ( I don't like him or his system)

This is was really bugs me or pisses me off about Gortin and Sather. As bas as this team has been playing ( really bad) yet only 3 pts out of the playoffs. So why wave the white flag for the future THAT MAY OR MAY NOT pan out. Last year Nashville was basically the 16th team based on record correct but still made the cup final. Anything can happen and I was taught never to give up and quit which is was these 2 bums are doing. So if they are waving the white flag ( they being Gorting and Sather) we can not be pissed ot AV ( I don't like him or his system)
    I agree with most of this...

but the guys arent playing. Coach, system, goalie, injuries - all irrelevant at this point. These guys are going out of their way to not play hockey on a regular basis.

Youre at a point where you go scorched earth. Not that I agree with it, but a little tinkering isnt going to change.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    The letter should be meaningless as far as sending any message league wide other than we are open for business so let's hear what you have to offer. What would turn this into a joke is if they accept any bad deals. They aren't forced into making any deals if the make a bad one or more it's on them and has nothing to do with this letter.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Seedings mean nothing. Just because Nashville made the final doesnít mean a damn thing about this ranger team. If you watch this team play you know, or at lest should know, that this team isnít winning four rounds of playoff hockey. Thatís why. Not every 16 seed enters the tourney the same. The seeding is irrelevant.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I mean, form wise, they're the worst team in the NHL atm. Injuries have a part in that but they're really awful.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Gullible me, I took this as mgmt acknowledging we are going to be sellers, for the first time in ages, They are getting out front of the shit show they are about to ice for us. And even with that we already have fans calling them quitters.

This note says it was a nice run but it is time to look at the future. UFAs will be traded. They will seek "youth, skill, speed and character".

They may want to trade others like McD or Zuc, but it will depend upon the right return. They may still wait till the offseason or hold either into next season. They may try to trade Staal, but only if they can find a taker. Maybe they are open to Miller or your least favorite Ranger, but it is just as likely that he is back next year. Let's see.

We are open for business and I'm sure mgmt is already having discussions. But this isn't a liquidation sale, where the goal is to just move inventory. Given the potential volume of trades, I highly doubt we are going to be rushing to jettison every player who did not live up to your expectations for 75cents on the dollar..

You guys are amazing. First things first. A few weeks ago it was hard to get the board to dig in and discuss all of this. Today everyone comes out of the woodwork and some of you seem shocked, while others think we are trading 10 players.

The clock is ticking. We need to secure the best returns for our UFAs. We need to get a high-end player or haul for McD, because we can't invest in his next contract, due to age, injuries and our situation. We need to be creative, combine assets if beneficial, involve 3 teams in a deal, if needed, whatever it takes to get younger, faster and more.explosive.

Fatty Brooks was way late to the party, we were talking about trading McD in October. The discussion about Freidman was if he "heard" or just "thought" the Rangers might trade McD. That doesn't really matter. Honestly, the best Ranger info comes from various websites, XM hockey interviews, watching games and using your noggin. We know Brooks goes to various websites and he occasional will catch a game.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 02-08-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They dont do this for Nash, Grabner, maybe Holden, or Pavelec. Not even for Miller... this is them telling the fans Zuccarello is a goner... he's the only player fans care about that might fit that description.
    Fuck that's gonna be a sad day...

On the positive side, I may get a team to cheer for during this rebuild.

Nashville underachieved the entire season last year, dealt with injuries, and everyone came back and turned it on in the playoffs. Nashville was actually predicted to be one of the top teams in the league last year so it really shouldnt have been a surprise that they made the Stanley Cup Final. The Rangers are no where near what Nashville was last year.

Moderator Junior Division
    This was true at the beginning of January - and I argued it as much as anyone. But the players have packed it in completely, the season was over with the TOR loss. Gorton and Sather have no choice.

As bad as the East is, a decimated lineup playing well still could, theoretically, get into the playoffs, but their goose is cooked.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    The way I look at it is its going to take a miracle to get in at this point and the miracle is probably just as likely to occur with a new mix than with this mix so have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The way I look at it is its going to take a miracle to get in at this point and the miracle is probably just as likely to occur with a new mix than with this mix so have at it.
    I disagree with everything you say politically but on hockey, you're spot on here! lol

A team full of guys battling for a future in the NHL has a better shot of nabbing an 8th seed than a team full of veterans who've given up

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rmc51's Avatar
    After thinking about it, I think the main reason they sent out that letter to the fans is because Zuccarello is a goner. He's going to be 32 after next season where he will be a free agent. They would either have to sign him to a 5-6 year deal (not worth) to carry him through age 37-38 or watch him walk. Love Zuccarello but he's not quite as good as the fans have made him out to be. A 20 goal scorer one time...and concerned about his game really regressing the next couple of seasons to want to commit long term money. Again, love Zuccarello and his attitude and chippiness he brings to the ice, but he won't be worth the long term deal he'll get at his age summer 2019.

Ryan McDonagh is the only other one (besides Hank who is not getting traded) who would give them reason to write that letter, but I don't think they will trade him because even if we rebuild over the next few years, he would still only be 31-32 and most likely still good with plenty of hockey left. He's way better than Marc Staal or Dan Girardi ever were, so personally I don't see that argument as legitimate hesitation to signing him to a 5 or 6 year deal at 30 years old next offseason. He has a lot of value as captain, leader of the team, and a mentor to younger defensemen being brought up.

The plan I could see them pursuing is trading Nash, Grabner, Zuccarello, and Holden:

- Nash for 1st rounder + NHL ready prospect (more than one team will offer a first, it will be who offers more)

- Grabner for 1st rounder + 3rd rounder or middle tier prospect (same as above)

- Zuccarello for 1st rounder + prospect + young NHL roster player (roughly)

- Holden for 2nd-3rd rounder (2nd might be high, but it seems other teams like him - regardless, anything we get for Holden is just gravy)

In the off-season they would try to re-sign Nash and Grabner. They would have essentially the same roster minus Zuccarello, but would have gained a ton of picks/prospects from the trades. It accomplishes both goals of remaining competitive during a rebuild. Call it a 80% full rebuild effort. Potential lineup next season:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
    JT Miller - Chytil? - Nash
    Vesey - Hayes - Grabner
    ? - Lettieri? Andersson? - Fast

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
    Skjei - ?
    Staal? - DeAngelo?

The holes may also be filled from the picks, prospects, or players received from the trades.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast