Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brendan Smith Placed on Waivers; Clears; Assigned to HFD

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Smith placed on waivers by Rangers
    Defenseman has eight points in 44 games after signing four-year, $17.4 million contract with New York

"Everybody that's followed him since he's been here, there's no doubt that he has played better for us in the past and this year got off to a slow start," coach Alain Vigneault said. "We worked with him a number of different ways.

"At the end of the day this might be a little bit drastic here, but management and the coaches felt that this was the way to go for our team right now."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-pl...rs/c-295741638

Money says there's more to this than meets the eye, notwithstanding the coach's comments.
    Ugghh. I agree with you.

I don't feel good.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    There is an inclination to let our imagination create a rationale. Reading AV's statement and note from mgmt, maybe this is simply part of a rebuild/retool/whateverthefuckyawannacallit.

The clue is in the first word, "Money"

My money says this is about the money (and rebuild). Now if a team wants to pick up the contract, put in a claim. The Rangers will use that money (3 years worth) to bring back Grabs instead. Or whatever their plan is for the cap space.

If he is not claimed he goes to the Pack and tries to improve. He/everybody gets the message. Either way it frees up a slot for a youngster to get some burn and mgmt to evaluate guys who should be near ready.
    OK. Time will tell.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Cleared.

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account
    @FriedgeHNIC
    Follow Follow @FriedgeHNIC
    More
    Smith, Kruger and Jooris all clear

9:01 AM - 9 Feb 2018

He's officially cleared. I guess we'll see if he gets sent down or not?

Maybe teams aren't willing to take him straight up but would take him for a contract they can dump and/or retaining some of his salary?

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account
    @FriedgeHNIC
    Follow Follow @FriedgeHNIC
    More
    Smith, Kruger and Jooris all clear

9:01 AM - 9 Feb 2018

He's officially cleared. I guess we'll see if he gets sent down or not?

Maybe teams aren't willing to take him straight up but would take him for a contract they can dump and/or retaining some of his salary?
    Really no surprise on this and yes is he staying up or going down. Sending him down would be a kick in the balls
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Bantam Division
    @SteveZipay: As anticipated, Brendan Smith has cleared waivers and will be assigned to Hartford...

@SteveZipay: Smith clearing waivers allows NYR to bury $1.025 million of his cap charge in the minors. And certainly makes a trade a possibility at some point.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Extra 1m for us to acquire someone at the deadline!

we'll need to call him back up to get to the cap floor when we're done tearing down this barn!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    we'll need to call him back up to get to the cap floor when we're done tearing down this barn!
    I think I'll be okay with this. I'm not sure I'm ready to write him totally off yet. Maybe this is the wake-up call that he desperately needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I think I'll be okay with this. I'm not sure I'm ready to write him totally off yet. Maybe this is the wake-up call that he desperately needs?
    I was really happy with the contract when we re-signed him. He must've been too happy with the contract though cuz it seems like he said 'Fuck it I'm paid'

liked watching him fight Shaw last playoffs and thought he was a solid addition at the time. But he's regressed. Hopefully just a down year.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Really no surprise on this and yes is he staying up or going down. Sending him down would be a kick in the balls
    The reality check is no one claimed him, thus going down to Hartford to fix his game is the only way he gets back up.

Obviously coming into Camp out of shape was a huge mistake. Beyond that, the only credible rumors I heard about Smith in the locker room was that he spoke out about the coach discouraging fighting. However the coaches have also been preaching to him about dumb penalties and dumb decisions and bluntly don't feel he has improved those things. Besides the penalties the dumb defensive decsions like not knowing when to NOT go deep offensively, puck decisions and positioning in our zone and defending entry.

He has a bunch of things to improve. Might as well join the Pack, they'll need the help. Until we hear more, it seems the staff wasn't seeing the improvement requested and once the rebuild was determined the possibility of his contract getting picked-up and the chance to evaluate a younger player likely sealed his fate.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 02-09-2018 at 02:43 PM.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    That remark about fighting is likely true. Brooks mentioned it as well:

Plus, there must be an inspection of whether Vigneault’s undying belief in whistle-to-whistle, turn-the-other-cheek hockey has created a passive mentality among the Rangers. When Chris Kreider stood up for McDonagh after the captain was run from behind by Steven Stamkos in Tampa Bay in Game 6 of the 2015 conference finals, No. 20 was rebuked by the coach for picking up an additional two minutes. When Brendan Smith stood up for Tony DeAngelo in an imbroglio in L.A. with Trevor Lewis on Jan. 21, he was chastised for picking up a bad penalty.
    https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/the-pr...ain-vigneault/
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

Filed under the "No Shit" column.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

This just fucking boils my blood. I was at the LA game. That was the most excitement I've seen at a Rangers game in three years. Of course the Rangers folded like a cheap lawn chair after that. You need to play with fucking emotion to win games. You just do.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yea itís time for Vigs to go as well at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123