• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lessons To Be Learned From Rangers? 2004 Fire Sale

Niko

Interest article when you see all of the pieces and their ultimate fate clearly laid out. I didn?t realize how some of those deals were still relevant to our roster 14 years later. I think Gorton will be a better in terms of drafting juxtaposed to his predecessor, but that?s speculative on my part. Who knows, but I feel like we?ll get more back this time around as our scouting is better and we?re trading guys with lots of life left instead of aging stars.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/2/7/16975852/new-york-rangers-cant-afford-repeat-of-2004-fire-sale-failure-leetch-trade-deadline-sather-gorton

Interest article when you see all of the pieces and their ultimate fate clearly laid out. I didn’t realize how some of those deals were still relevant to our roster 14 years later. I think Gorton will be a better in terms of drafting juxtaposed to his predecessor, but that’s speculative on my part. Who knows, but I feel like we’ll get more back this time around as our scouting is better and we’re trading guys with lots of life left instead of aging stars.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/2/7/16975852/new-york-rangers-cant-afford-repeat-of-2004-fire-sale-failure-leetch-trade-deadline-sather-gorton

Immonen only played 20 games? Wow... those were the longest games ever.

The 2004 firesale was a complete disaster. Out of all that, what'd they get, Staal, Dubinsky and Sauer?

This is why you don't commit to being a seller in December.

This is just conjecture, but I believe if Sauer didn't have his career ended and Staal didn't have horrendous injury luck, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Dubinsky performed well for the Rangers, and ultimately netted them Nash, who will now net them a king's ransom! Win!

This is just conjecture, but I believe if Sauer didn't have his career ended and Staal didn't have horrendous injury luck, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Dubinsky performed well for the Rangers, and ultimately netted them Nash, who will now net them a king's ransom! Win!

That's true in some sense. But guys get hurt, shit happens. There's a million reasons why prospects don't pan out.

I gotta admit, I'm really looking forward to see what and how Gorton does with this situation. This whole charade has been really an eye sore to watch this season, and quite frankly, is anyone finding this palatable??? The games, especially of recent have basically been a shit show!

Of course, but we're looking back in hindsight. I'm not saying it turned out well, but the outcome wasn't totally a mismanagement of assets. Sauer, Staal, and Dubinsky were good gets.

Yea, I'm not really saying it was a mismanagement. The picks weren't great, but my point is that, even if you manage assets correctly, you can still end up with a shitty return.

Sauer, Staal, and Dubinsky were good gets.

Given that Staal was acquired with a 16th pick not attributable to the sell off plus a pick acquired in the sell off to move up to 12, I really wouldn't attribute Staal to the sell off. The sell off is a cautionary tale, and it is more the rule than the exception in this sort of thing.

They would have missed the playoffs for another seven years after that if they hadn't lucked out with Lundquist as a 7th round pick per Don Maloney.

Given that Staal was acquired with a 16th pick not attributable to the sell off plus a pick acquired in the sell off to move up to 12, I really wouldn't attribute Staal to the sell off. The sell off is a cautionary tale, and it is more the rule than the exception in this sort of thing.

They would have missed the playoffs for another seven years after that if they hadn't lucked out with Lundquist as a 7th round pick per Don Maloney.

exactly.

Every team goes through a changing of the guard. Obviously the good teams make better decisions and have some good luck. It all comes down to drafting period. You make good decisions on draft day and you will build a good hockey team. Of course some luck helps, whether it be a lottery ball or just finding a guy like hank in the 7th. Regardless there is no guaranteed way to avoid the pitfalls that could occur. You can always do nothing and hope that what you have is good enough.

Archived