• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

As Sellers, Rangers Must be Patient and Embrace the Rebuild

Through April, assuming their Unrestricted Free Agents (UFAs), at the least, are traded off, this is a tank roster, and that should, ultimately, be the goal for the rest of the year. If that?s the case, then Jeff Gorton & Co. must understand that there won?t be an immediate return and embrace a full rebuild next year as well. Tearing it down means not contending until at least 2020, as no return of picks and prospects will immediately bring back the influx of NHL-ready talent this team needs.

?

Regardless of the return, especially since it will be geared towards the future, the Rangers? defense-corps will be too thin to seriously contend next year. There is a world where Brady Skjei embraces the lead role, Anthony DeAngelo becomes reliable, Kevin Shattenkirk leads a top power play unit, Brendan Smith regains the form he showcased last season to earn his new contract, and where one of Neal Pionk, Ryan Graves, or Alexei Bereglazov turns into a legitimate NHL player to fill out the top six. But, boy, that?s a lot of what-ifs.

The smart bet is to embrace a rebuild next season and add another top pick to the cupboard. There?s a dangerous precedent of teams who think they?re closer than the really are and end up costing themselves in the long run. Short-term thinking can hinder long-term results, and the Blueshirts? Winter Classic opponent?the Buffalo Sabres?are a prime example.

After tanking 2014-15 and drafting Jack Eichel?who, as an aside, is wildly underrated outside of Upstate New York?Buffalo management also made blockbuster moves to acquire Evander Kane and Ryan O?Reilly. While both are good players, their acquisitions are the embodiment of the ?rebuild on the fly? term that Gorton used when Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta were shipped out of New York. To be blunt, it has been an unequivocal failure, and the Sabres are just as far from playoff contention as they were in 2014.

Without getting into too many specifics in the assets the Sabres cost themselves with these acquisitions, let?s ask, simply, how much better would they be right now with Tyler Myers, Nikita Zadorov, J.T. Compher, and another first- and second-round pick in their lineup? Plus, as they were marginally better in their first year with Eichel complimented by O?Reilly and Kane, Buffalo missed out on the Auston Matthews sweepstakes.

A one-two combination of Eichel and Matthews at center could have given Buffalo the most dynamic tandem in the league and, even if forced to take a consolation prize, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi, Clayton Keller and Matthew Tkachuk could all have been quality running mates. A top-six in 2018 that features Jason Pominville and Benoit Pouliot is laughable, but Buffalo pushed themselves there by rushing to contention.

Read more

I’ve been patiently waiting for this. Should have started two years ago.

Because the best time to rebuild is following consecutive SCF and ECF appearances.

Again, this isnt a rebuild. This is an under-performing team that might trade off a few players at the deadline. I dont know why anyone is under the impression they wont try to be successful next season.

Meanwhile, there's a post with supporters regarding Ilya Kovalchuk to NY.

Look at the good teams. The perennial contenders. They've got at least TWO go-to forwards. Rangers currently have none. This year they may have the chance to finally draft one. Next year would be a good time to draft another.

Lots still to come. No telling how high or low the rangers will draft. If I know the Rangers, they'll go on a winning streak to end the season and finish 17th in the league. First thing is first: sell the pieces we have and SELL HIGH. Rick Nash is easily the best player available -- get a king's ransom for him. Get a first for Grabner. Go into the draft with three 1st round picks -- trade up for Brady. Then reassess.

Because the best time to rebuild is following consecutive SCF and ECF appearances.

Again, this isnt a rebuild. This is an under-performing team that might trade off a few players at the deadline. I dont know why anyone is under the impression they wont try to be successful next season.

right. no such thing as a rebuild in rangerland. couple of UFA signings in the off season and we're in business

Meanwhile how did that work out?

Of course they'll try to be successful. Just like they did this season. But they didn't try very hard this season. They went into the season with two centers. No #1C. And a clusterfuck of mediocre players who they hoped would over perform.

I actually don't think they underperformed at all. Who on this roster underperformed? They all hit their averages or there about.

McKenzie says otherwise.

Meanwhile, there's a post with supporters regarding Ilya Kovalchuk to NY.

Lots still to come. No telling how high or low the rangers will draft. If I know the Rangers, they'll go on a winning streak to end the season and finish 17th in the league. First thing is first: sell the pieces we have and SELL HIGH. Rick Nash is easily the best player available -- get a king's ransom for him. Get a first for Grabner. Go into the draft with three 1st round picks -- trade up for Brady. Then reassess.

All of this^^^ but double pump to first things first.

First let's acquire as many valuable assets for all our UFAs and field offers for McD and possibly Zuc.

Maybe Nash to the Preds gets you a 1st and Fabbro.

Accumulate as many high picks and high end prospects you can. Forget 2nd rounders, especially from playoff teams, forget lottery tickets we can trade Holden for those later picks. Why not three 1sts and a top prospect, we don't get to do this often.

Forget the semantics rebuild, retool, the fly, the grasshopper, tha fuck. It really gets in the way. First things first. We need to see some of the plan unfold ebfore we can assess the next moves, free agents, etc. Between now and the draft we need to find young talent and 1st round picks in this strong draft.

Blame AV or blame injuries but I certainly expected more from Vesey, Buch, Miller, Smith and Shattenkirk. Zibanejad hasn't shown much if any improvement either. Mix that in with the dead wood and roster wise I think there's a ton of gaps to fill. Now if we want to buy into the fact that rolling in a new coach will magically unleash all these guys from what they've shown so far I guess the glass is half full. I just don't see it. Not saying a new coach would hurt but I also don't see it fixing most of what's wrong here. Again just my opinion.

Before his injury Kreider was underwhelming especially for his 5th year in the league too. We seem to keep waiting for some of these guys to break out and at some point they are what they are and that in some cases isn't good enough

I think they also thought they were going to get something from Chytil and Andersson.

Before his injury Kreider was underwhelming especially for his 5th year in the league too. We seem to keep waiting for some of these guys to break out and at some point they are what they are and that in some cases isn't good enough

I think they also thought they were going to get something from Chytil and Andersson.

Don't get me started on a Kreider rant. The guy is a self-thought prima donna and should probably be dealt -- he'd fetch a strong return I bet. On the other hand, Chytil and Anderssson need to grow a bit more fur before these pups are unleashed in the NHL. There are some truly big dogs out there just waiting to run young ones into the back of parked cars.

Don't get me started on a Kreider rant. The guy is a self-thought prima donna and should probably be dealt -- he'd fetch a strong return I bet. On the other hand, Chytil s Anderssson need to grow a bit more fur before these pups are unleashed in the NHL. There are some truly big dogs out there just waiting to run young ones into the back of parked cars.

Thanks I thought I was the only one who thought Kreider was over rated/under achiever

we are at fault for that,for overrating him(whishing for Kreider to be an allstar player,because we a hungry for one,we know this team lacks top end talent)just like we are overrating the rangers players who are on the bubble to be traded this season ,thinking we are getting back top prospects and first rounders,when the return isnt as good a we thought ,we will be killing management,

we are at fault for that,for overrating him(whishing for Kreider to be an allstar player,because we a hungry for one,we know this team lacks top end talent)just like we are overrating the rangers players who are on the bubble to be traded this season ,thinking we are getting back top prospects and first rounders,when the return isnt as good a we thought ,we will be killing management,

There's some truth in this. Look at this game. None of these guys are good.

Archived