• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kovalchuk's Eyes on New York?

Fatfrancesa

27. One of the Olympic hockey subplots will be Ilya Kovalchuk. Unlike last summer, when New Jersey held his rights, he is unrestricted this time. And, if he comes back to the NHL, it is believed his eyes are on New York.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-trying-remedy-nhls-goalie-interference-controversy/

--

I would think he would be an adequate fit for replacing Nash if Nash doesn’t come back. Of course not the two way player but probably still a better offensive player. And best of all costs nothing in terms of the rebuild other than some money and a roster spot

Hell naw. We are calling for a rebuild here. He's 34 now, plus I don't see him seeing for cheap.

Focus on more important things like a center and defense men.

:+1:

Future, you were saying that one roster with JT would be cap strapped. So, why add Kovy $ for a 34 y/o. Come back over from the dark side.

:+1:

Future, you were saying that one roster with JT would be cap strapped. So, why add Kovy $ for a 34 y/o. Come back over from the dark side.

Huh? I don't want Kovy, but the only way you do try to make that happen is if you're buying for next season.

IF, Nash and Grabner are not resigned; IF there is some cap space left after signing RFAs and #27; IF whatever young assets we soon acquire are not NHL ready, leaving roster space; IF he will sign for a modest sum for no more than two years: then and only then am I not violently opposed to this. After all, his potential for NHL success at this point could even be greater than Guy LaFleur's was in 1988...

not everyone wants to sell the season.

And its a rebuild on the fly. They arent tanking for a decade.

what is a "rebuild on the fly?"

I know that's what was said, but what is it if it's not a veiled re-phrasing of rebuild? They're selling for picks. They're considering moving Mac and Zucc. If that's true, there's no denying what this is.

Archived