Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Set for Nash and Grabner

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Nash's son isn't the only kid who's going to take the trade hard. I watched warmups near the glass last night in MN next to what what was obviously Nash's brother and niece. She had a #61 jersey and a big home made Rangers sign that looked like an involved project. Her dad is the same size as #61 and looks more like Rick than Rick does. Perhaps we could sign him for a lot less than Rick.
    I think fans tend to forget about how difficult getting traded can be on kids and families.

It's part of the business, so to speak, but I fully get why players want NTCs.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    I wish that everyone on the board who discusses trades could see Rick's niece's sign.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think fans tend to forget about how difficult getting traded can be on kids and families.

It's part of the business, so to speak, but I fully get why players want NTCs.
    100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Ya know, I just don't feel that sorry for them.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Do you know what it's like for a 3 year old to change babysitters?!?

"Kinda sucks" - sure

They get paid enough, and work a few months a year. Not a huge issue in 2018.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

//reported Junior Division
    They make enough money to keep a babysitter on deck at all times.
    LGR!

It's not about feeling sorry for them. Just understanding that they're more than chess pieces on a board.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    They make enough money to keep a babysitter on deck at all times.
    Spoken like someone who definitely doesn't have kids. They're not dogs. It's not an issue of "coverage". You're talking about life-altering disruption. Pulling them out of school, yanking them away from their friends and everything they know for reasons they can barely understand, let alone rationalize.

Again, I'm not suggesting not to trade a guy because his kid is gonna take it hard, but that's definitely a factor to at least be cognizant of if you're a human GM.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Agreed Phil, hopefully we can persuade Nash to take a hometown discount.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Spoken like someone who definitely doesn't have kids. They're not dogs. It's not an issue of "coverage". You're talking about life-altering disruption. Pulling them out of school, yanking them away from their friends and everything they know for reasons they can barely understand, let alone rationalize.

Again, I'm not suggesting not to trade a guy because his kid is gonna take it hard, but that's definitely a factor to at least be cognizant of if you're a human GM.
    Spoken like someone who’s not a professional athlete.
    LGR!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

Why do they have to do any of those things? Daddy's going on a max 6 month business trip. See you on face-time.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, welcome to my life. For a penny on their dollar.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Why do they have to do any of those things? Daddy's going on a max 6 month business trip. See you on face-time.
    Exactly this

They also don’t seem to have a problem picking up and moving their families when they become a UFA and go to the highest bidder.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I just have a feeling no matter what Gorton gets for these guys, I'm gonna think he could have done better. I'll be shocked and pleasantly surprised if he can do anything that's going to make me happy with the trade deadline results from whatever decision they make this year.

Short Version: I'm not setting my hopes very high with this team...in any way, shape or form....it just leads to disappointment.

You're talking about a rental. In general, guys can be traded with years on their contract. Marian Gaborik just got traded from LA to fucking Ottawa with three years left. If he had kids, they'd have to be uprooted and moved to a different country.

People don't need to be insensitive on purpose in this context. It sucks for the players and the families when guys get traded. Less as rentals, but it still sucks.

You're talking about a rental. In general, guys can be traded with years on their contract. Marian Gaborik just got traded from LA to fucking Ottawa with three years left. If he had kids, they'd have to be uprooted and moved to a different country.

People don't need to be insensitive on purpose in this context. It sucks for the players and the families when guys get traded. Less as rentals, but it still sucks.
    Insensitive on purpose? If Gaborik had kids in school he'd have the luxury to afford leaving his kids in LA with their mom, in their house, at their school until the year is over. Then they can move during the summer. People move all the time. Kids change schools mid year.

Insensitive on purpose? If Gaborik had kids in school he'd have the luxury to afford leaving his kids in LA with their mom, in their house, at their school until the year is over. Then they can move during the summer. People move all the time. Kids change schools mid year.
    How is it a luxury to just leave your kids? That's hard on kids and I'd imagine hard on a father.

It sucks for kids who change schools in the middle of the year too.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yeah, welcome to my life. For a penny on their dollar.
    Yeah, makes you feel bad for Nash for about a minute, then you see the parents of students lost or injured in Florida. BTW, there is a lot to be said about being very present in your kids lives. If I had to be an absentee parent now, I'd choose a different career.

Speaking of Nash just getting refocussed on the thread topic...

One factor not mentioned is for teams strapped for cap like St Louis. They may need the extra time so that more of the Nash's $ is attached to the Rangers. From the time of asking for Nash's list to the deadline, about another million would be the Ranger's responsibility.

And we shouldn't forget the two top prospects St Louis owns, even though they have no first.

How is it a luxury to just leave your kids? That's hard on kids and I'd imagine hard on a father.

It sucks for kids who change schools in the middle of the year too.
    Because the average person wouldn't have the choice

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    a.) understand you make a lot of money, that will help your kids in the future, during this temporary situation
    b.) have kids when you retire
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast