• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There is Interest in Rangers' Defenseman and Pending UFA Nick Holden

ThirtyONE

Darren Dreger, on TSN 1050, said that there is reportedly some interest in Rangers defenseman and pending UFA Nick Holden. Holden has 3 goals and 6 assists this season with 101 hits, 61 blocked shots, 20 takeaways, 33 giveaways and an average of 18:59. Last season he had 11 goals and 23 assists for the Rangers and played 20:37 per game. The Rangers acquired Holden at the draft in 2016 from Colorado for a 4th pick pick in 2017.

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/there-is-reportedly-some-interest-in-nick-holden/265958214

BE GONE!

I'll pack his bags if it'll get him out of here quicker.

Cheap 3rd pairing defenseman that's affordable?? Yup! I'm sure there's going to be a team needing some depth come playoff time. Holden fits pretty much anywhere.

I don't really blame him for a lot of his troubles on defense though; Seriously....

The guy's a 3rd pairing defenseman and he's finding himself paired/matched against top lines a lot...even before the injuries....and AT HOME (where we get the last change)! That's not on him.

You know I was definitely one of those fans who was on the Holden hate train for a while but the dude grew on me.

What I don?t get is people getting mad at the guy being on the first pair. It?s not his fault Smith and Shattenkirk blew ass trying to play with McDonagh. Here?s there by default.

But anyways, they should get at least a 3rd for him considering what he?s done here. Fuck a 4th

IMO this is the first offseason Gorton really has a chance to stamp his name on this team. Hopefully he’s able to make some big moves because this might be his only shot. Last year he was careful. This year he has nothing to lose. The team can’t get much worse.

IMO this is the first offseason Gorton really has a chance to stamp his name on this team. Hopefully he?s able to make some big moves because this might be his only shot. Last year he was careful. This year he has nothing to lose. The team can?t get much worse.

I thought the same thing in the late 90?s/early 2000?s and it still seemed like each year got worse

Why wouldnt there be interest? Cheap, versatile, playing on the top pair on the opposite side.

We'll be begging for a Holden next season.

No, we won't. But I agree there should be interest based on price, age, and versatility. We disagree highly, I'd imagine, on just how versatile he is, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just looking at his play on the season, if his name was Pionk instead, he'd be a fan favorite.

Not sure how you can say that. Holden was AWFUL last post season and that has carried over to this season in the fans eyes. He’s not good. Yes, maybe a decent 6/7 but if Pionk is a 6/7 who handles the puck in his own zone like a live granade, he won’t be liked either.

Not sure where this idea of blind faith in young players stigma comes from. There was a large group of fans that’s hated Zuccarello when he first broke into the lineup. It takes time to gain fans trust no matter who it is. NY fans seem to assume you suck until you proven otherwise.

In Holden’s case, he’s never proven otherwise. He’s had periods of mediocrity with bits of dreadful play mixed in.

Just looking at his play on the season, if his name was Pionk instead, he'd be a fan favorite.[/quote

Pionk's total number of goals with Hartford equals his number of great preseason goals with the Rangers -- one. But it's true, if Holden was a young guy like Pionk people would be happy with him. Next year when Pionk, Graves and DeAngelo are not proving NHL worthy and we're some prospect or draft pick d-men that we get at the deadline are not ready yeat, we will be resorting to the Kampfer du jour, and we would be glad to have Holden instead.

With injuries always decimating defenses in the playoffs, some contender will gladly part with a third round pick for Holden as insurance.

Doubtful. If Pionk were routinely played over his head against the other teams best forwards who embarrass him every night, he'd rightfully be criticized.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Shattenkirk is given a pass, and he's supposed to be a top defender. And is paid like one, too.

I don't recall anyone saying Holden is a good top pair defender.

With injuries always decimating defenses in the playoffs, some contender will gladly part with a third round pick for Holden as insurance.

He's been good enough to command a 3rd since he's a Dman. He also plays both sides, though I won't tell the acquiring team that AV is foolish to play him on the right against top lines.

Not really worried about missing him since he is a UFA anyway. I'd rather have Jon Moore or Calvin de Haan (UFAs) anyway, even if they cost double of Holden's current price.

Pionk isn’t much of a prospect. Ranger fans think so but reality is he’s not close to a top 100 guy league wide. Doesn’t mean he has no chance but those penciling him in for anything nhl wise should probably do some homework.

I won’t miss Holden one bit. If I have to play a below average in every facet defenseman it might as well be somebody with an edge. Holden maybe the most nondescript player I’ve ever seen. How can you describe him?

Is he

Physical. No

Skate well. No

Good transition. No

Shut down guy. No

Ok what does he do well? I can’t explain av’s love for him. Oh and remember Patrick Roy called av and told him he’s a hall of fame defenseman. I’m so fucking sick of hearing that story and if true it explains why Roy is out of coaching

He leads the team in hits

Again, he's not great, but he's been a solid 6/7. Unfortunately, he's been given much more responsibility, and he hasn't been worse than those he replaced, regardless of where he's been in the lineup.

I hope we can get a decent pick and Or prospect for him.

Archived