• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Formally Request Rick Nash's No-Trade List

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting that Nash could put himself in the driver's seat by naming 12 non-playoff teams and/or divisional rivals and thus create a defacto NMC. Not in his interest to do that, as he would just complete his year with the Rangers, who would never sign him. It should be noted, however, that the market for Nash may be more limited than people think. First, there is the limit to 12 teams, of whom several the Rangers would not deal with for one reason or another. Of the remainder, some are just not interested and others can't take the cap hit, even with the Rangers retaining part. The result may be less of a return than we might hope for. Eric Staal two years ago is the most obvious parallel, and we did not give up a King's ransom for him. He had a full NMC I believe, but I'm sure he would have waived it for more than just the Rangers. I hate the way the trade market has developed under the CBA. Trades only take place at the deadline and immediately before the draft. Players know they are going to get traded months before the deadline, so you've go players on your team who know they are lame ducks, which hardly helps when you are trying to orchestrate a turnaround.

TB seems like the perfect spot for Nash and the Rangers.

What about Vegas as a destination for Nash? At this point Vegas should go all in. Vegas racked up prospects at the expansion/nhl draft, they got a ton of draft picks in trades. Their regular spot in this years draft will be in the 20s.

I think he'll be open to move to a contender, no doubt. I dont think his NTC will be a huge hurdle for management.

I think he tries to go somewhere, win a cup, and hopes to come back and sign a tiny contract to come back to NY. If not, he'll sign within the division, locally.

Interesting that Nash could put himself in the driver's seat by naming 12 non-playoff teams and/or divisional rivals and thus create a defacto NMC. Not in his interest to do that, as he would just complete his year with the Rangers, who would never sign him. It should be noted, however, that the market for Nash may be more limited than people think. First, there is the limit to 12 teams, of whom several the Rangers would not deal with for one reason or another. Of the remainder, some are just not interested and others can't take the cap hit, even with the Rangers retaining part. The result may be less of a return than we might hope for. Eric Staal two years ago is the most obvious parallel, and we did not give up a King's ransom for him. He had a full NMC I believe, but I'm sure he would have waived it for more than just the Rangers. I hate the way the trade market has developed under the CBA. Trades only take place at the deadline and immediately before the draft. Players know they are going to get traded months before the deadline, so you've go players on your team who know they are lame ducks, which hardly helps when you are trying to orchestrate a turnaround.

Sod, I really enjoy what you add here so don't take this wrong, but that would require Nash to be a classless spiteful dick. The good thing is he is the opposite. Sorry to repeat my post in the other thread, but Nash will likely list all the teams he'd like to play for. They are going to be playoff teams. He will play it straight with us. The Rangers have always played it straight with him and the whole team.

Watch him go absolutely light it up in the playoffs and win the Conn Smythe.

I'd be fucking furious.

Agree with the prediction, but I'd hardly be furious. He finally had a pretty good playoff for us last year. This year, other than a real short slump, he and Grabs have been our best (most consistent) forwards. And we need to trade both of them, unfortunately, cause we suck.

Hell he can come back in a few months if he wants to.

He certainly could but I wouldn't want him back for anything more than 4M. Preferably less but I doubt that happens.

I think he'll be open to move to a contender, no doubt. I dont think his NTC will be a huge hurdle for management.

I think he tries to go somewhere, win a cup, and hopes to come back and sign a tiny contract to come back to NY. If not, he'll sign within the division, locally.

He has to wanna go somewhere. Why would he want to dwindle the rest of the season away doing nothing here when he could suck it up for a few months and play to win somewhere else? Even if its somewhere he doesn't wanna be long term that is something he won't have to worry about as he isn't forced to stay.

Watch him go absolutely light it up in the playoffs and win the Conn Smythe.

I'd be fucking furious.

Tell me about it.

TB seems like the perfect spot for Nash and the Rangers.

What about Vegas as a destination for Nash? At this point Vegas should go all in. Vegas racked up prospects at the expansion/nhl draft, they got a ton of draft picks in trades. Their regular spot in this years draft will be in the 20s.

I like your call with Vegas. How about any of their 3 first round choices from this past draft, straight up? I'll take whichever one they choose.

Tampa could have the easiest first round if they can hold-off the Bruins. Feel like their pick will be in the 30's. If it is Nash to Nashville, I could see them going to the Finals again. So we need to be Jet fans and Dallas, etc. Glad the Central division looks loaded, whoever makes it out of there will have earned it.

If it is Nash for a 1st, where is best for the Rangers?

Toronto looks like a first or second round exit possibility. Likely facing the Bruins then Tampa.

I don't get the point to that. I mean I do, but, its not like he still has another year left on his contract and is stuck there. If going and playing with TOR or WPG for a few months gives you a decent shot at playing for the Cup then go do it. Leave when your contract is up in July. This is something that would be well suited for someone in Mac's place where still has to stick around another year.

I'm reading that his list includes ALL Canadian teams. LOL. Nobody with a choice wants to live here. Wonder why?

Damn how did that leak out so fast. I don't get why he wouldn't do Toronto for a year, maybe he wants to go where he might stay, long term.

Let's take him at his word. No Canada. Jets, Leafs out. Calgary doesn't have a first anyway. Neither does St Louis, so their out. SJ says no rentals this year. LA is in our position and needs to hold their pick. Vegas may not sell anything, but doubt they trade their first for a rental. That leaves Anaheim, Dallas, Nashville, Minn or Colorado in the west. Add Boston and Tampa from our conference. That is where he's going. Seven teams.

Damn how did that leak out so fast. I don't get why he wouldn't do Toronto for a year, maybe he wants to go where he might stay, long term.

Let's take him at his word. No Canada. Jets, Leafs out. Calgary doesn't have a first anyway. Neither does St Louis, so their out. SJ says no rentals this year. LA is in our position and needs to hold their pick. Vegas may not sell anything, but doubt they trade their first for a rental. That leaves Anaheim, Dallas, Nashville, Minn or Colorado in the west. Add Boston and Tampa from our conference. That is where he's going.

Its not even a year. Its 3.5 months tops, if he's lucky enough to land on a team that will go that far.

I'm reading that his list includes ALL Canadian teams. LOL. Nobody with a choice wants to live here. Wonder why?

Seriously?

I thought he might waive for Toronto... but they can always come back and ask.

I can understand why he wouldnt want to move the entire family, but for a few months, a shot at a cup - why not?

BTW, we'd have to eat salary for a couple of those teams. With the Wild, we'd have to take back someone.

Also, just because Toronto is not on the list, would Nash turn them down if mgmt came to him and said they really want him and can convince him they are ready to challenge for a Cup? Just try it for a few months, says Shanny and Lou.

Seriously?

I thought he might waive for Toronto... but they can always come back and ask.

I can understand why he wouldnt want to move the entire family, but for a few months, a shot at a cup - why not?

Whoops, beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing.

Well, let's do some thinking. Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Montreal are all not making the playoffs. Calgary is currently out of a playoff spot. That leaves Winnipeg and Toronto. Winnipeg has a rabid fan-base, is cold as fuck, and has no parks.

And Toronto is just a frenzied media market, with a team with huge expectations. Plus, he's from Ontario, so that just makes matters worse. We know how he does under pressure.

Its not even a year. Its 3.5 months tops, if he's lucky enough to land on a team that will go that far.

He might figure he wants to get the jump on learning the coach, players, system, city. Basically he gets to try out one of his possible destinations and see if it fits.

How much fun will it be if Nash is taking off the bench tonight because he’s traded mid game

I LOVE when they take guys off during the trade deadline. I watch 3 screens during the last week to see it. And the guy that got pulled last year (Cammalerri?) I missed it!

Archived