• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Ready to Assume 50% of McD, Nash Contracts; Tampa/Minnesota in the Mix

LindG1000

https://nypost.com/2018/02/03/jaromir-jagr-deserves-an-immediate-hall-of-fame-call/

Know this, however: there is definitely mutual interest in exploring whether a match can be made so that Ryan McDonagh might join Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi with Tampa Bay, whose organization is brimming with young assets, but perhaps none of elite quality.

The Rangers are believed willing to assume up to 50 percent of McDonagh?s $4.7 million cap hit that runs through next year in order to get what the organization believes is a commensurate return for No. 27?s talents.

Minnesota would be a point of interest, as well.

The Blueshirts are also likely to pick up 50 percent of the remainder of premier rental property Rick Nash?s full-season $7.8 million cap hit, with Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, St. Louis, San Jose and perhaps Pittsburgh as relevant parties of the other part.

Interesting that we're willing to put 50% stake up for the right move. McDonagh's already a bargain deal. Brooks, so grain of salt, I guess.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just think they would get a haul for him without taking on 50%. Maybe this means they aren’t looking towards next year as a turnaround either?

I think part of it is that the teams looking to bring him in will actually need the help. Leafs, Stars, Blues, Wild, Lightning - they're all cap-tied teams.

Part of it is that retaining something might be the difference between getting a Julius Honka or a Miro Heiskanen in the deal - and I know which of those two I'd want for Ryan McDonagh.

Right. Yandle times two. So if it's Tampa, it's Sergachev, first, conditional first, prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That deal is dead in the water w/Tampa. It's EXACTLY my ask from them too, but starting with Sergachev is likely a no-go.

I'd much rather do this deal with a team looking to "accelerate their rebuild": think Dallas, Colorado, Calgary. I want a remote shot at a second lottery pick this year.

That deal is dead in the water w/Tampa. It's EXACTLY my ask from them too, but starting with Sergachev is likely a no-go.

I'd much rather do this deal with a team looking to "accelerate their rebuild": think Dallas, Colorado, Calgary. I want a remote shot at a second lottery pick this year.

Then they don't get the player. Simple as that. With McDonagh in the fold (plus next season), Sergachev is expendable. Especially considering he's been a healthy scratch at points this season.

But I'm fine with considering more than one suitor. Whoever is willing to pay the premium gets him.

Then they don't get the player. Simple as that. With McDonagh in the fold (plus next season), Sergachev is expendable. Especially considering he's been a healthy scratch at points this season.

But I'm fine with considering more than one suitor. Whoever is willing to pay the premium gets him.

Oh, yeah, of course. I get to see a lot more of the Bolts than most here, and I'd love Sergachev on this team, but if they won't pay, we go elsewhere.

I was just going to post this. Tampa is really high on Sergachev. No way they let him go but I see Phil?s point as a starter convo.

Absolutely. Anything less is failure.

Weeeelllll.. Gorton has yet to prove himself a trade wizard like Slats.

Right. Yandle times two. So if it's Tampa, it's Sergachev, first, conditional first, prospect.

So if they refuse to let Sergachev go, then its gonna cost Foote, Volkov, Hajek, Katchouck, and one of Howden/Raddysh, plus 2018 1st and conditional 2019 1st.

I was just going to post this. Tampa is really high on Sergachev. No way they let him go but I see Phil’s point as a starter convo.

Weeeelllll.. Gorton has yet to prove himself a trade wizard like Slats.

And I'm really high on Ryan McDonagh, a known commodity and guaranteed first-pairing defenseman.

And I'm really high on Ryan McDonagh, a known commodity and guaranteed first-pairing defenseman.

Exactly. Phil, the idea I brought here in October was not hey we suck, let's trade McD. I came up with the idea because

A) I was inspired by Toronto fans vocal desire for a proven top pair dman to fill a void and lead a young playoff group to the next level.

B) McD is a Babcock kind of player and would fit their cap if they unloaded one of the upcoming big salaries on us.

C) The opportunity to get a dynamic young potential star and big point producer. Particularly, either Marner or Nylander, both whom I've followed and believe will be top-end players.

D) The Rangers would be better off with a young big contract than signing McD to a 7-8 year big money contract in 2020.

I Still feel the same way. This isn't about getting a bunch of OK prospects and very late 1s in a panic to sell now. Do that with Nash or Grabs, our current UFAs. With McD, we want a real chance at a star, not a couple of late first rounders and your 3rd and 5th best prospect.

Come on guys, lets get someone you can't wait to watch every game and see what he turns into. Nik Ehlers, Patrick Laine, Brady Tzachuk, Brayden Point, Pasternak, Marner, Nylander. There are others. Target one that is gettable.

Yes none of these guys except maybe the ones from Toronto are gettable. For Tampa maybe Sergachev, they won't trade Point. If Tampa does not go for Sergachev, fuck em. Why would we want to be ripped-off by Yzerman?

We need to target players.

Exactly. Phil, the idea I brought here in October was not hey we suck, let's trade McD. I came up with the idea because

A) I was inspired by Toronto fans vocal desire for a proven top pair dman to fill a void and lead a young playoff group to the next level.

B) McD is a Babcock kind of player and would fit their cap if they unloaded one of the upcoming big salaries on us.

C) The opportunity to get a dynamic young potential star and big point producer. Particularly, either Marner or Nylander, both whom I've followed and believe will be top-end players.

D) The Rangers would be better off with a young big contract than signing McD to a 7-8 year big money contract in 2020.

I Still feel the same way. This isn't about getting a bunch of OK prospects and very late picks from Tampa in a panic to sell now. Do that with Nash or Grabs, our current UFAs. With McD I want a real chance at a star, not a couple of late first rounders and your 3rd and 5th best prospect. Come on guys. Someone you can't wait to watch every game that we can watch grow. Nik Ehlers, Patrick Laine, Brady Tzachuk, Brayden Point, Pasternak, Marner, Nylander. There are others. Target one that is gettable.

Yes none of these guys except maybe the ones from Toronto are gettable. For Tampa maybe Sergachev, they won't trade Point. If Tampa does not go for Sergachev, fuck em. Why would we want to be ripped-off by Yzerman?

It's not an issue of being ripped off. It's an issue of not getting full value. The Rangers have a Bentley. Selling it for the price of a Civic, even if it's to a friend, is just bad business.

It's not an issue of being ripped off. It's an issue of not getting full value. The Rangers have a Bentley. Selling it for the price of a Civic, even if it's to a friend, is just bad business.

I know, I'm being funny and pointing out that Yzerman makes smart trades for Tampa, be careful. I want to trade with Chirelli.

50% on McDonagh seems like a panic move.

Josh, you running with Brook's garble means you make no sense either.

The main reason salary is retained is the player is overpaid or the acquiring team just does not have the cap space. Two complete different scenarios and consequences. The former causes teams to discount the player, the latter adds even more value.

So here is a hint, McD is not overpaid. He is among the best bargains in the league. And the season is well past 50% over, so he is only due about 2m this year, as it is. Can anyone tell me why Brooks is even talking about retaining salary on McD? I assume it is yellow journalism or shitty 'say-anthing that sounds informed' writing.

Josh, one thing I can assure you is that the Ranger's are not in a panic. And if they were, the last person they'd tell that they are discussing retaining salary on McD is Brooks. If anything I worry the team has no sense of urgency to leverage their assets aggressively.

I Still feel the same way. This isn't about getting a bunch of OK prospects and very late 1s in a panic to sell now. Do that with Nash or Grabs, our current UFAs. With McD, we want a real chance at a star, not a couple of late first rounders and your 3rd and 5th best prospect.

Come on guys, lets get someone you can't wait to watch every game and see what he turns into. Nik Ehlers, Patrick Laine, Brady Tzachuk, Brayden Point, Pasternak, Marner, Nylander. There are others. Target one that is gettable.

Wasn't it Drew A Penalty or Josh that came up with the idea of trading McDonagh?

Archived