• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Victims of Head Shots, Staal & Vesey Join Rangers' Injury Parade

Victims to two headshots—the one on Jimmy Vesey being especially viscious—the New York Rangers will likely be without the services of Marc Staal or Vesey for a while. What, you thought things couldn't possibly get any worse?

Staal, who has a worrisome history of head injuries, was the first victim, taking a high hit to the head from Predators defenseman Alexei Emelin midway through the second period:

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/959974498119421952

Vesey, just minutes later, swallowed a vicious elbow from Filip Forsberg:

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/959975879421120513

Given neither returned to the contest, Staal and Vesey will presumably be joining their fellow teammates Chris Kreider, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Pavel Buchnevich on Injured Reserve, further diluting an already poorly performing Blueshirts roster with just 23 days to go before the NHL's trading deadline.

Sellers or not, they're officially a skeleton crew.

Read more

Didn’t see the game but Vesey’s didn’t look like a headshot to me. Head down obliteration for sure but pick your damn head up kid!

Staal on the other hand makes me sad. He’s had a bus load of head issues. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was done for the season.

Didn’t see the game but Vesey’s didn’t look like a headshot to me. Head down obliteration for sure but pick your damn head up kid!

Staal on the other hand makes me sad. He’s had a bus load of head issues. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was done for the season.

I'm excited to see Kampfer the rest of the season now instead of Graves or Pionk.

Forsberg knew it was Vesey, knew he had gotten rid of the puck and knew he had him lined him up with no where to go from behind the net. He did it for Nashville, Vesey was a markerd man. The league should hit him with a suspension. Clear and deliberate elbow/shoulder area shot to the head.

Screw you guys who think he should not be suspended because he 'had his head down'. Hate that fuckin logic. Get rid of the head shots. At least with Staal, his head was 3 feet off the ground. No excuse with Vesey, he was upright.

Forsberg knew it was Vesey, knew he had gotten rid of the puck and knew he had him lined him up with no where to go from behind the net. He did it for Nashville, Vesey was a markerd man. The league should hit him with a suspension. Clear and deliberate elbow/shoulder area shot to the head.

Screw you guys who think he should not be suspended because he 'had his head down'. Hate that fuckin logic. Get rid of the head shots. At least with Staal, his head was 3 feet off the ground. No excuse with Vesey, he was upright.

So since Vesey didn't sign two years ago, the Nashville players talk about and go out of their way to try to injure him. Now that is a conspiracy theory.

They were in the finals last year and are one of the top teams in the West again. I doubt they have any fucks to give about a kid that chose not to sign there years ago.

I don't believe you believe this.

Vesey did have his head down, but that's simply not an acceptable excuse for head checking a player. This is not 2000-2003 anymore. Too much is known of the damage concussions cause?the threat they pose to a player's career?to hide behind the "he should have know better" logic anymore. As if that same line of logic doesn't also apply to the aggresor.

I believe, given there was an injury on the play (the CBA mandates this be taken into account), Forsberg will be suspended. But I don't believe he has any history, so my guess is something like four games.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He should be suspended, but this idea that it was premeditated or some sort of revenge for not signing is a big reach.

So since Vesey didn't sign two years ago, the Nashville players talk about and go out of their way to try to injure him. Now that is a conspiracy theory.

They were in the finals last year and are one of the top teams in the West again. I doubt they have any fucks to give about a kid that chose not to sign there years ago.

[if I said it this way would it still have annoyed you.]

The crowd was really giving it to jimmy last night. And when a perfect opportunity presented itself to level the kid, Forsberg took it. Forsberg is not a dirty player, think there was some extra motivation to violently elbow him to the face after he was long rid off the puck?

Is that less of a conspiracy theory? And let's not make it out that it was some distant piece of trivia. The hype and work to get Vesey in Nashville and the the wining and dining during the off season by others, made him a hated player outside of NY. If you believe to the press, TV and other sources.

A thought about getting head shots out of the league.

Take away draft picks for all suspensions.

1 game team lose a 7th

2 game a 6th

3 game a 5th

4 game a 4th

5 game a 3rd

6 game a 2nd

7 or more a 1st

If a team doesn’t own their pick because of prior trade or whatever they lose next years

:tweet: @mikefisher1212

This is a joke

A response from Mr. Carrie Underwood on the suspension.

The responses on twitter to him is kind of baffling, apparently their is a bias against Nashville, it was one of the cleaner hits in the game, why no suspension for McLeods hit on Watson, nothing for Forsberg to do since Vesey has the puck .5 seconds before, league is grooming Vesey to be the new Crosby :rofl:, Rangers "fans" are crying about staal lowering his head and vessey taking hip to hip contact

After the hit on Staal, I was wondering why AV was taking this Buddha posture behind the bench instead of banging a stick against the boards and getting himself suspended. Larry Brooks later tweeted the same question. I appreciate AV has a different way of getting his points across and I don't want any second coming of Torts, but a player may just have suffered a career ending concussion on an obvious match penalty that wasn't called anything. Leaving your feet is a bright line rule, and it's not hard to see. It's not like some holding the stick penalty where you don't know who's holding and who's hooking. Boy, I'm glad we had McCloud to jump the offender on his next shift. I think enforcer is an outmoded position and I don't even want one, but if you've got one taking up a roster spot, if you're not going to use him after two blatant head shots, what are you doing with him?

Archived