• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Inching Close To Signing Ty Ronning

ClearedForContact

Rick Dhaliwal of Sportsnet 650 in Vancouver reported on Friday that the Rangers are having "good positive talks" with Vancouver Giants forward Ty Ronning.

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/status/959485466058752000

The 20 year-old Ronning, a 7th round pick in 2016, currently has 44 goals in 50 games in with the Giants in the WHL. When his Giants season ended last year, he signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Hartford Wolf Pack. He netted two goals and three assists in his 12 games with the Pack.

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/hockeystatminer/status/959490712889905153

Read more

Ronning has been a man on fire, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried about the time frame they are under to get this done. Him walking as a free agent would suck. Given his size, I can't help but draw a parallel between he and Marchessault. Best not to make that mistake twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not too concerned as I still don't think this is a serious NHL prospect.

I would prefer he was signed and given a full chance at the next level but I'm not sold and still view him as a lottery ticket.

Fuck that, he's got pedigree, fire and desire. He knows hockey, he gonna make it to the NHL. Sign him.

He reminds me a lot of Christian Thomas. (Pedigree, undersized, lots of junior goals)

He should be signed and moved to the next level but this isn't a guy we should have penciled in for anything two years from now.

Oh, you mean Olympian Christian Thomas? Sign me up lol

Tons to discuss, he'll be a UFA in 4 months and can sign anywhere he wants if he doesn't see a fit with the Rangers.

Well yea, but that means there's no discussion to have. He either wants to be a Ranger, or wants to go UFA. I don't think there's a whole big discussion to be had about terms of his contract and all that.

What can the discussion even be?

This. Wouldn't it just be an entry level deal? Not much to discuss there.

Price and bonus structures.

I believe minimum is still $575K per and maximum is $925K per, but there's the entire business of Schedule A and Schedule B bonuses.

I'm not too concerned as I still don't think this is a serious NHL prospect.

I would prefer he was signed and given a full chance at the next level but I'm not sold and still view him as a lottery ticket.

Inclined to agree with this. I know people get up in arms about prior comparables, since you're always talking about two different players with different skillsets playing at different times in different systems, but it's a sobering reminder for me at least that 05'09" Nigel Dawes had 47 goals and 23 assists in in 56 games and 50 goals and 26 assists in 63 games in his last two seasons with the Kootenay Ice in the WHL, respectively. He then followed it up with 35 goals and 32 assists in 77 games in his first full season with the Wolfpack. Ronning hasn't even shown us he can succeed at the professional level yet. He's got a long way to go before I'm sold, but he's also come a long way since his draft.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived