Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 160

Thread: Does Islanders News Open Door on Tavares?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    14

    Does Islanders News Open Door on Tavares?

    So the Islanders are going to split their next three seasons between Barclays and the Nassau Veterans Memorial Mausoleum. They will be assured of the lowest attendance in the league for three years. Is their ownership going to maintain a cap maxed roster during this poor revenue period, especially with the down payment for the new building due? Tavares makes nice noises, but he would be nuts to spend the next three years, the prime of his prime, on this project before the new building is done. I think this development increases the chances of him going UFA. How does being an Islander for the next three years look in comparison to perhaps being the savior of Canada's team (Leafs) which is stocked with good young players? How would it compare to being on the best team in the NHL (Tampa), a well run team in a no tax state, if they would sell off some assets to come within the cap? And how would it compare with NOT uprooting his family and moving over to the Rangers, who rate as a middling team now and would be a contender with him?
    Last edited by Sod16; 01-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,645
    Rep Power
    135
    I think this pretty much closes the door on his tenure with the Islanders.

    Have to think they'd move him at the deadline though, would be a colossal failure on their part if they hold him, though they could still probably get a decent package for his rights before the draft.

  3. #3
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,943
    Rep Power
    82
    Rights on an expiring contract always make me so nervous. There's no guarantee that the team picking up his rights will come to an agreement with the player, right?
    Do rights for UFAs get traded that often?
    I'd imagine RFAs rights are more valuable.

    If he's moved at the deadline, let's speculate...where does he go?
    LGR!

  4. #4
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Lt. Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    12,211
    Rep Power
    121
    I think it does. He wants to play for a team doing everything it can to win.

    https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tavares...to-win~1313626

  5. #5
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,645
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    Rights on an expiring contract always make me so nervous. There's no guarantee that the team picking up his rights will come to an agreement with the player, right?
    Do rights for UFAs get traded that often?
    I'd imagine RFAs rights are more valuable.

    If he's moved at the deadline, let's speculate...where does he go?
    The Rangers traded the rights to Hagelin and Yandle was, I think, a 4th and 6th.

    Yes, there is some risk, but I think with a player like Tavares, there'd be some sort of indicator that he'd sign there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,128
    Rep Power
    39
    Makes you wonder if we are sellers at the deadline to go all in on Tavares and Carlson.

    Not sure i buy in to Toronto. You read there boards up there and they are getting everybody.

    My buddy (Isles fan) damn near reached through the phone and choked me when i told him i thought the rangers were going to sign him.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    14
    At the time the Islanders announced the new building, I thought their chances of signing him were 60%. I'd say it's down to 40%. Note that originally they were saying Belmont would be ready for 2020-21. Now it's 2021-22. I'm sure that weighs in Tavares's thinking.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,642
    Rep Power
    96
    Not sure how anyone wanting the rangers to sell in a few weeks would also want tavares. Should be interesting to see where he goes.
    GORTON 2020

  9. #9
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,152
    Rep Power
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Not sure how anyone wanting the rangers to sell in a few weeks would also want tavares. Should be interesting to see where he goes.
    Rebuild on the fly.
    Any trade should be a Brassard trade, or similar.

    Hard to deny that adding Tavares to current roster isnt a huge upgrade.
    He gives an immediate boost to a team built to compete for years to come.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jjweimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    24
    Tavares makes the Rangers a contender, Buch and Miller would strive with him, and Vesey as well

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,152
    Rep Power
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by jjweimar View Post
    Tavares makes the Rangers a contender, Buch and Miller would strive with him, and Vesey as well

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Zuccarello... like, genius

    Miller Tavares Zuccarello
    Kreider Zib Buchnevich
    Letteiri Hayes Fast

    Thats fun to watch... hopefully
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  12. #12
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,642
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Rebuild on the fly.
    Any trade should be a Brassard trade, or similar.

    Hard to deny that adding Tavares to current roster isnt a huge upgrade.
    He gives an immediate boost to a team built to compete for years to come.
    He'll be looking for a massive deal and 28 years old at the start of next season. With the way things are going in the new NHL, what's that? Three good seasons left?

    It's the Rick Nash thing all over again. They need to rethink their strategy of just signing the biggest name. They need to get younger.

    Taking the face of someone else's franchise and making it yours has never worked unless you're Wayne Gretzky.
    GORTON 2020

  13. #13
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,152
    Rep Power
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    He'll be looking for a massive deal and 28 years old at the start of next season. With the way things are going in the new NHL, what's that? Three good seasons left?

    It's the Rick Nash thing all over again. They need to rethink their strategy of just signing the biggest name. They need to get younger.

    Taking the face of someone else's franchise and making it yours has never worked unless you're Wayne Gretzky.
    I dont think its fair to say the Rangers go after the biggest name, anymore. I also dont think you can stay away from a guy like Tavares because of what happened in the past.

    As for a "Rick Nash thing again", I'd gladly take that. We saw an extremely competitive team that was a contender for several seasons. Isnt that the goal?
    And as long as we dont deplete our current squad, and add a few building blocks, they could be competitive for years to come.

    As for 3 more competitive years - perfect, thats what we're built for! Lundqvist, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk all come off the books in 4 seasons.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #14
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I think it does. He wants to play for a team doing everything it can to win.

    https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tavares...to-win~1313626
    I don't think he leaves the Islanders especially now that they at least have a plan. I certainly don't think he would seriously consider coming here simply based on his desire to win. This team is in the fast lane headed in the opposite direction. While I'm not a huge fan of AV I don't hate the guy. Imo there's too many underperforming guys mixed in with dead wood and we're talking about dealing away two or three guys that can play at a high level for picks? I don't think a new coach magically gets those underperforming to all do an about face. I don't see Grabner as a guy I wouldn't want to keep around at a fair deal. Get what they can for Nash although I think the biggest issue is the expectations based on the cap hit, which goes away after this season. At a much lower cap hit he's not a bad guy to have around on a 2-3 year deal for somebody.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,642
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I dont think its fair to say the Rangers go after the biggest name, anymore. I also dont think you can stay away from a guy like Tavares because of what happened in the past.

    As for a "Rick Nash thing again", I'd gladly take that. We saw an extremely competitive team that was a contender for several seasons. Isnt that the goal?
    And as long as we dont deplete our current squad, and add a few building blocks, they could be competitive for years to come.

    As for 3 more competitive years - perfect, thats what we're built for! Lundqvist, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk all come off the books in 4 seasons.
    This is a team that's currently out of the playoffs. They're potentially trading Nash and Grabner while at least considering trading Zucc and McDonaugh. The addition of Tavares does not make them competitive or more competitive than they already are, which simply isn't the goal (or as least shouldn't be).
    GORTON 2020

  16. #16
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,161
    Rep Power
    70
    Depends on if they deal McD. Do the Rangers need Tavares, Zib, Nylander /Marner, Hayes down the middle? Then again, Zib played a lot of wing with the Sens, and Nylander is currently playing wing quite well.

    I really want to dump McD... Just not into giving him that next contract.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,266
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Depends on if they deal McD. Do the Rangers need Tavares, Zib, Nylander /Marner, Hayes down the middle? Then again, Zib played a lot of wing with the Sens, and Nylander is currently playing wing quite well.

    I really want to dump McD... Just not into giving him that next contract.
    I know. I've been saying this all season. This team needs to look ahead. McD can give someone at least 2 playoffs and time to resign him. Now is the time we can get max value and add a dynamic top liner.

    His contract is going to be an anchor, preventing a ton of flexibility. We can turn McD into quality youth. Even if he doesn't have more than the typical injuries, a big long contract seems risky. He may ask for 7 years 8.5 million. That could be a hometown discount cause he might get 8 years at 9 mil in the open market. We can't do it. See the future Gorton. Have some balls and find us a great young forward in return.

  18. #18
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,152
    Rep Power
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    This is a team that's currently out of the playoffs. They're potentially trading Nash and Grabner while at least considering trading Zucc and McDonaugh. The addition of Tavares does not make them competitive or more competitive than they already are, which simply isn't the goal (or as least shouldn't be).
    You dont think adding a top 5 NHL center (at minimum) is going to boost the team?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #19
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Lt. Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    12,211
    Rep Power
    121
    If the Rangers can't land Tavares or aren't going after him, they still need to find a legit 1st line center. Zib ain't it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,642
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You dont think adding a top 5 NHL center (at minimum) is going to boost the team?
    Sure. Swap Nash and Grabner for Tavaras. Where does that put them? 8th? Is that the goal? If the Rangers are going to rebuild, rebuild. This stop gap shit has been a problem since 2014.
    GORTON 2020

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •