• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Islanders News Open Door on Tavares?

Sod16

So the Islanders are going to split their next three seasons between Barclays and the Nassau Veterans Memorial Mausoleum. They will be assured of the lowest attendance in the league for three years. Is their ownership going to maintain a cap maxed roster during this poor revenue period, especially with the down payment for the new building due? Tavares makes nice noises, but he would be nuts to spend the next three years, the prime of his prime, on this project before the new building is done. I think this development increases the chances of him going UFA. How does being an Islander for the next three years look in comparison to perhaps being the savior of Canada's team (Leafs) which is stocked with good young players? How would it compare to being on the best team in the NHL (Tampa), a well run team in a no tax state, if they would sell off some assets to come within the cap? And how would it compare with NOT uprooting his family and moving over to the Rangers, who rate as a middling team now and would be a contender with him?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this pretty much closes the door on his tenure with the Islanders.

Have to think they'd move him at the deadline though, would be a colossal failure on their part if they hold him, though they could still probably get a decent package for his rights before the draft.

Rights on an expiring contract always make me so nervous. There's no guarantee that the team picking up his rights will come to an agreement with the player, right?

Do rights for UFAs get traded that often?

I'd imagine RFAs rights are more valuable.

If he's moved at the deadline, let's speculate...where does he go?

Rights on an expiring contract always make me so nervous. There's no guarantee that the team picking up his rights will come to an agreement with the player, right?

Do rights for UFAs get traded that often?

I'd imagine RFAs rights are more valuable.

If he's moved at the deadline, let's speculate...where does he go?

The Rangers traded the rights to Hagelin and Yandle was, I think, a 4th and 6th.

Yes, there is some risk, but I think with a player like Tavares, there'd be some sort of indicator that he'd sign there.

Makes you wonder if we are sellers at the deadline to go all in on Tavares and Carlson.

Not sure i buy in to Toronto. You read there boards up there and they are getting everybody.

My buddy (Isles fan) damn near reached through the phone and choked me when i told him i thought the rangers were going to sign him.

At the time the Islanders announced the new building, I thought their chances of signing him were 60%. I'd say it's down to 40%. Note that originally they were saying Belmont would be ready for 2020-21. Now it's 2021-22. I'm sure that weighs in Tavares's thinking.

Not sure how anyone wanting the rangers to sell in a few weeks would also want tavares. Should be interesting to see where he goes.

Rebuild on the fly.

Any trade should be a Brassard trade, or similar.

Hard to deny that adding Tavares to current roster isnt a huge upgrade.

He gives an immediate boost to a team built to compete for years to come.

Tavares makes the Rangers a contender, Buch and Miller would strive with him, and Vesey as well

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Zuccarello... like, genius

Miller Tavares Zuccarello

Kreider Zib Buchnevich

Letteiri Hayes Fast

Thats fun to watch... hopefully

Rebuild on the fly.

Any trade should be a Brassard trade, or similar.

Hard to deny that adding Tavares to current roster isnt a huge upgrade.

He gives an immediate boost to a team built to compete for years to come.

He'll be looking for a massive deal and 28 years old at the start of next season. With the way things are going in the new NHL, what's that? Three good seasons left?

It's the Rick Nash thing all over again. They need to rethink their strategy of just signing the biggest name. They need to get younger.

Taking the face of someone else's franchise and making it yours has never worked unless you're Wayne Gretzky.

He'll be looking for a massive deal and 28 years old at the start of next season. With the way things are going in the new NHL, what's that? Three good seasons left?

It's the Rick Nash thing all over again. They need to rethink their strategy of just signing the biggest name. They need to get younger.

Taking the face of someone else's franchise and making it yours has never worked unless you're Wayne Gretzky.

I dont think its fair to say the Rangers go after the biggest name, anymore. I also dont think you can stay away from a guy like Tavares because of what happened in the past.

As for a "Rick Nash thing again", I'd gladly take that. We saw an extremely competitive team that was a contender for several seasons. Isnt that the goal?

And as long as we dont deplete our current squad, and add a few building blocks, they could be competitive for years to come.

As for 3 more competitive years - perfect, thats what we're built for! Lundqvist, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk all come off the books in 4 seasons.

I think it does. He wants to play for a team doing everything it can to win.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tavares-i-want-to-play-for-a-team-that-s-doing-everything-it-can-to-win~1313626

I don't think he leaves the Islanders especially now that they at least have a plan. I certainly don't think he would seriously consider coming here simply based on his desire to win. This team is in the fast lane headed in the opposite direction. While I'm not a huge fan of AV I don't hate the guy. Imo there's too many underperforming guys mixed in with dead wood and we're talking about dealing away two or three guys that can play at a high level for picks? I don't think a new coach magically gets those underperforming to all do an about face. I don't see Grabner as a guy I wouldn't want to keep around at a fair deal. Get what they can for Nash although I think the biggest issue is the expectations based on the cap hit, which goes away after this season. At a much lower cap hit he's not a bad guy to have around on a 2-3 year deal for somebody.

I dont think its fair to say the Rangers go after the biggest name, anymore. I also dont think you can stay away from a guy like Tavares because of what happened in the past.

As for a "Rick Nash thing again", I'd gladly take that. We saw an extremely competitive team that was a contender for several seasons. Isnt that the goal?

And as long as we dont deplete our current squad, and add a few building blocks, they could be competitive for years to come.

As for 3 more competitive years - perfect, thats what we're built for! Lundqvist, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk all come off the books in 4 seasons.

This is a team that's currently out of the playoffs. They're potentially trading Nash and Grabner while at least considering trading Zucc and McDonaugh. The addition of Tavares does not make them competitive or more competitive than they already are, which simply isn't the goal (or as least shouldn't be).

Depends on if they deal McD. Do the Rangers need Tavares, Zib, Nylander /Marner, Hayes down the middle? Then again, Zib played a lot of wing with the Sens, and Nylander is currently playing wing quite well.

I really want to dump McD... Just not into giving him that next contract.

Depends on if they deal McD. Do the Rangers need Tavares, Zib, Nylander /Marner, Hayes down the middle? Then again, Zib played a lot of wing with the Sens, and Nylander is currently playing wing quite well.

I really want to dump McD... Just not into giving him that next contract.

I know. I've been saying this all season. This team needs to look ahead. McD can give someone at least 2 playoffs and time to resign him. Now is the time we can get max value and add a dynamic top liner.

His contract is going to be an anchor, preventing a ton of flexibility. We can turn McD into quality youth. Even if he doesn't have more than the typical injuries, a big long contract seems risky. He may ask for 7 years 8.5 million. That could be a hometown discount cause he might get 8 years at 9 mil in the open market. We can't do it. See the future Gorton. Have some balls and find us a great young forward in return.

This is a team that's currently out of the playoffs. They're potentially trading Nash and Grabner while at least considering trading Zucc and McDonaugh. The addition of Tavares does not make them competitive or more competitive than they already are, which simply isn't the goal (or as least shouldn't be).

You dont think adding a top 5 NHL center (at minimum) is going to boost the team?

You dont think adding a top 5 NHL center (at minimum) is going to boost the team?

Sure. Swap Nash and Grabner for Tavaras. Where does that put them? 8th? Is that the goal? If the Rangers are going to rebuild, rebuild. This stop gap shit has been a problem since 2014.

If the Rangers can't land Tavares or aren't going after him, they still need to find a legit 1st line center. Zib ain't it.

Trade McD for a kid who projects as a top liner, + something else of value to us. Seems the only way to get a top C is to offer a top Dman to a team that needs one. No McD and no Tavares saves almost 20 million a year for the next 8 years and gives the Rangers a future.

Especially if we also add a bunch of picks for our UFAs, which become valuable in moving up or in other ways. This is a strong draft and good players throughout the 1st round will be found.

Sure. Swap Nash and Grabner for Tavaras. Where does that put them? 8th? Is that the goal? If the Rangers are going to rebuild, rebuild. This stop gap shit has been a problem since 2014.

You will never get close to that with your rebuild.

What team has won the Cup recently without an absolute STUD 1C ??? We need someone like Tavares to take this team to the next level. Players like him are very rarely available, we need to do whatever to get him IMO. You need a superstar forward to win Championships in this league, get it done.

All of those top centerman who won cups were surrounded by excellent rosters. Having a true 1C is only one part of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Players like Tavares and Karlson rarely become available. When one does, you try to get him, irrespective of whether you are in contender mode, rebuild mode, or something else. I suspect Tavares does not want to deal with all the bruhaha that would surround his signing with the Rangers, but I don't know the man, so maybe he wouldn't really care if it worked for him otherwise.

Archived