Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AV! His Seat Getting Hot?

Senior Member Squirt Division Ozzy's Avatar
    I think it's a combination of all facets, Josh. The players ultimately are the ones to carry the out the strategy and make the plays. BUT...I still believe that the philosophy of this team is flawed in the way it approaches games and most definitely playoff games. This team is and has been WAY too soft. They lack intensity, discipline and they also lack any type of fire from the drop of the puck. They were not prepared all season long for whatever opponent we've played against and against Ottawa last year we looked very poor in some of those games.

I get your point and I agree with the efforts and mistakes of some of the players, but the "system" that's in place is seriously dog shit. I don't think a team is going to win a cup with solely a "fast break offense, with no puck support, no hitting, no toughness, no centers, a coach that cannot matchup players and just rolls 4 lines".

In my opinion, 50% falls on Mr. Softy here too.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 01-31-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    wanted to give this thread a bump.

While I really like AV as a coach and understand the boards frustration with some of his short falls, I can see this type of nose dive can cost him his job.

That being said, if he goes who would be a good intense young coach that can command the room and has a track record of developing youth. I dont have faith in Ruff for this going on the record.

who do you think would be a good candidate ?

Deleted Midget Division
    Sather/Gorton basically said he's staying the rest of the season, today.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    He stays until the end of the year. If a good candidate or two (say Keefe and/or Queneville) is available, fire him and immediately interview. Worst case, he stays to start next season and if things look bleak, he's canned mid-season.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

AV's system is great for the regular season...but stretch passes and space are extremely limited in playoffs. That's why he'll never win a cup as a head coach, he doesn't adjust.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He stays until the end of the year. If a good candidate or two (say Keefe and/or Queneville) is available, fire him and immediately interview. Worst case, he stays to start next season and if things look bleak, he's canned mid-season.
    Was just talking to a friend of mine who's a Hawks fan. Told him that we were going to switch coaches next season.
    LGR!

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    Was just talking to a friend of mine who's a Hawks fan. Told him that we were going to switch coaches next season.
    So would.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    im still mad we went with AV instead of Laviolette when we did.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    AV is gone at season end, it's time. Can't see how they start a new season with him. The best options are hired in the off season. The players we keep need a new voice and fresh outlook and clean slate.

Keefe and Queneville will have jobs till the end of the year anyway. If anybody mgmt likes becomes available sooner, then they'll reach out to him. I would hope. I hope they are already building a list of candidates.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    im still mad we went with AV instead of Laviolette when we did.
    He was still working on getting fired in Philly, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He was still working on getting fired in Philly, I believe.
    My memory may be fuzzy but I believe they were both available at the same time.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    I could be wrong.

I thought Lavs got fired 8 games into the season

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I could be wrong.

I thought Lavs got fired 8 games into the season
    No, you are indeed correct. Probably just remembered wishing we had waited and signed Lavs instead then.

Last nights game was the first time all year, where I felt like it’s not going to get turned around. It seems like AV has completely lost the team and his time here has run its course. It feels like a divorce is imminent and if that’s right, I wish it would happen sooner then later. I know most fans are thinking big picture and hoping for total tear down and rebuild. I personally would like to see us make a coaching change today and see if we can’t spark something. One last ditch effort to save something before a fire sale.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers845 View Post
    Last nights game was the first time all year, where I felt like it’s not going to get turned around. It seems like AV has completely lost the team and his time here has run its course. It feels like a divorce is imminent and if that’s right, I wish it would happen sooner then later. I know most fans are thinking big picture and hoping for total tear down and rebuild. I personally would like to see us make a coaching change today and see if we can’t spark something. One last ditch effort to save something before a fire sale.
    I would have liked to see a small trade earlier in the season when they struggled, and make a coaching move a few weeks ago, if things didnt improve.

Unfortunately, it's to the point in the season where you have to finish off the season with what you got.
    Changing the coaching staff now just creates more uncertainty, confusion and unrest for the young players on the team.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    F that. Keep him here and let them keep losing. We should stop worrying about qualifying for a playoff spot and focus on qualifying for a lottery pick haha.

Senior Member Squirt Division Ozzy's Avatar
    For the guys that are advocates of AV, what is it about this coach that you guys like? I never asked and I'm actually curious.

I rip him to pieces, and have for years, but I want to try to get a grasp on what it is that some people see in him that's good for this team. Maybe I'm missing something.

i know dale hunter has it going really well with his team in ontario but wonder if he'd be worth a call.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    For the guys that are advocates of AV, what is it about this coach that you guys like? I never asked and I'm actually curious.

I rip him to pieces, and have for years, but I want to try to get a grasp on what it is that some people see in him that's good for this team. Maybe I'm missing something.
    I like his system.. when the guys actually play it.
    Its fast, up-tempo, generate scoring opportunities, counter-punching system

We've been one of the top scoring teams in the league.

The last thing I want to see is the "hockey" Renney brought, or what Torts "5 in the box" defense-only systems.

His system doesn't win cups though...I agree that it's a ton of fun to watch when everyone buys in. But come playoff time they never adjust. That's why they lost to Ottawa..the sens sat back and plugged the zone, the Rangers kept trying to force everything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast