• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

An Alternative, Youthful, Trade Deadline Approach

With poor play over the last few weeks and a brutal West Coast trip before the All-Star break, the Rangers are trending towards deadline seller territory. It’s too early to definitively say that, especially in a weak Metropolitan division, but it’s getting harder to see Alain Vigneault’s squad buying at the deadline. But regardless of this season’s aspirations, moving to get younger and more talented without giving up premium assets should be a goal.

Fortunately for General Manager Jeff Gorton, there may be a few young guys needing a change of scenery, so to speak, who could contribute to his “rebuild on the fly” mantra without costing premium picks. Around the league, there are a handful of guys, like Anthony Duclair, who are young but either haven’t reached their potential or may be expendable to their current organizations who could contribute to the Rangers immediately while providing more building blocks for the future.

We’ve seen New York capitalize on players, specifically Michael Grabner, who weren’t quite working elsewhere, and they’d be wise to take that approach with youngsters this year at the deadline. There’s a sweet spot somewhere in between the Ethan Werek-for-Oscar Lindberg and Derick Brassard-for-Mika Zibanejad trades where the Rangers may find real value. While they’ll have to pass a risk/reward analysis, these players have high ceilings that warrant a bit of risk.

Sam Reinhart

Now 22, Sam Reinhart hasn’t come close to being the top center the Buffalo Sabres hoped for when they drafted him third overall. Though he had back-to-back seasons of more than 40 points at ages 20 and 21, Reinhart has struggled to show much star power, let alone any proclivity to perform as a top-six center. In some sense, that can be blamed on the fact that the talent he hasn’t played with many talents, to be generous. But there are questions about his game—notably his lack of physicality and compete level—that have disappointed regardless of point production.

At this point, given that he’s moved full-time to the wing and doesn’t seem to be clicking anywhere in the lineup as Buffalo head coach Phil Housley has moved him around, it might be time for the Sabres to cut their losses. For a Rangers squad that depends on intelligence and precision more than force, Reinhart could be a nice fit.

Sam Bennett

Despite probably being the most costly of this group, Sam Bennett has had a disappointing third campaign with Calgary. Entrenched as the Flames’ third center, the soon-to-be 22-year-old hasn’t been dynamic enough offensively to take any of the scoring responsibilities from Sean Monahan, nor good enough defensively to prevent Mikael Backlund from leading all Flames’ forwards in ice time. As sort of an odd man out, Bennett could be dangled as trade bait.

As Joey Alfieri noted for NBC Sports, “According to TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie, Bennett’s slow start has prompted other general managers to pick up the phone and check in on his availability. On the most recent Insider Trading segment, McKenzie stated that the Flames don’t want to part ways with Bennett, but they also aren’t hanging up when other teams call about him.”

Other potential targets explored in the article include Josh Ho-Sang, Dylan Strome, Andreas Athanasiou, and others.

Read more

I like the idea of trading for younger players and picks. The question is, who do you move for these players? Especially players on teams that suck (buffalo/Az).

I think Buffalo has a shitload of talent. I'd scour their roster and see what's available. I think Phil Housley is a bad coach who just isn't getting anything out of his players. Reinhart would be exciting... but... who/what would they want in return?

Awesome, was waiting for this all day.

Bennett, Strome and to a much lesser extent Reinhart stick out for me.

Anyone familiar with Ho Sang in junior shouldn't be surprised by the current turn of events in his regard.

I'd be shocked if Calgary could turn down JT Miller for Bennett foundation to a deal.

On Reinhart, I'd offer DeAngelo straight up. He'd immediately step onto their blue line, and given Housley is their coach, he might be excited to try to work with him.

Call me crazy, but I really like DeAngelo -- small sample size and all. I think the edge he plays with is refreshing. I'd rather move Vesey, Miller, or Hayes.

With DeAngelo, I think it remains to be seen how much he has to sell out on defense to remain in lineups, and how much that deletes from his offense.

We've seen this with other guys who put up massive numbers at other levels. Ryan Ellis is a prime example.

With DeAngelo, I think it remains to be seen how much he has to sell out on defense to remain in lineups, and how much that deletes from his offense.

We've seen this with other guys who put up massive numbers at other levels. Ryan Ellis is a prime example.

Similar to the Shattenkirk discussion, I think AV smashing DeAngelo into his box of ideal defensemen (safe, never takes risks, never scores, see: McDonagh) is a mistake. If DeAngelo is allowed to skate a make mistakes, he can grow. If he's forced into a role he's never played, he'll be useless.

Similar to the Shattenkirk discussion, I think AV smashing DeAngelo into his box of ideal defensemen (safe, never takes risks, never scores, see: McDonagh) is a mistake. If DeAngelo is allowed to skate a make mistakes, he can grow. If he's forced into a role he's never played, he'll be useless.

hes not doing any of that to Deangelo ... he's trying to make him NHL-usable. Its not like this is anything new with Tony.

I'm of the opinion that highly touted high draft picks who aren't clicking in the NHL by the end of about their second full season are probably not going to pan out. Yes, there are exceptions, but I believe most of the players listed are simply going to turn out to be disappointments. Grabner is not an example in favor of trading for any of these guys. Mind you, he previously had a 30 goal year in the NHL, so what we are seeing is not totally new. That a 31 year old has turned it around does not promote the idea that a 21 year old who has been a disappointment will do so. The rest of the league pretty much subscribes to my "two year rule" described above. That's why Anthony Duclair commanded a high price as a rookie and after roughly two years of NHL action was recently traded for a used puck bag.

hes not doing any of that to Deangelo ... he's trying to make him NHL-usable. Its not like this is anything new with Tony.

I know he's not doing that. DeAngelo has been let loose, free to play his game to this point. I think that's obvious. Can't get pissed at him when he makes a bad read or fucks up. The guy is 22. He looks good. Hope they continue to let him play his game.

I'd rather not trade Hayes or Vesey. The Rangers have done rather well in the sub-category of UFA's that just graduated college but haven't signed with the team that drafted them. If we start trading those players that elected to come to the Rangers then that may be a deterrent for similar UFA's to pick the Rangers in the future.

What about Puljujarvi, Ryan Stome and/or Caleb Jones from Edmonton

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They can be lumped in with the group mentioned. Just not sure Edmonton will pull the trigger being outside a playoff spot. It gives them another season to evaluate talent before trading them away for a deep playoff run.

I'd rather not trade Hayes or Vesey. The Rangers have done rather well in the sub-category of UFA's that just graduated college but haven't signed with the team that drafted them. If we start trading those players that elected to come to the Rangers then that may be a deterrent for similar UFA's to pick the Rangers in the future.

I mean... should they really worry about that? You could say that for any UFA too, right? Hayes and Vesey are not impressive players. If they go, they go.

I mean... should they really worry about that? You could say that for any UFA too, right? Hayes and Vesey are not impressive players. If they go, they go.

sure, but everyone wants a little stability in their job. If everyone is lasting 2-3 seasons, at most, it will result in a drop of interest in signing with the organization.

sure, but everyone wants a little stability in their job. If everyone is lasting 2-3 seasons, at most, it will result in a drop of interest in signing with the organization.

If you don't want to be traded, perform. It really is that simple. Hank has been here for damn near an eternity. Same with Staal and Mac. If you play well, you stay. If you don't, you go. Rangers can't worry about keeping trash players. This is NY. People will always want to play here.

Yeah, I'm with ThirtyONE here. I'm not sure any lasting damage can really be done by the Rangers' dealings. Not for free agency. They may lose one or two guys who they make offers to, but generally speaking, the market sells itself.

Mike, I like the idea of finding a young talented reclamation project or slow maturer. However, many of those names are fraught with a bit too much risk. I think we all want to think Sam Bennett is going to eventually live up to his draft status, one day it will click. Yet, everytime I see him he can't seem to control or keep the puck long enough to make a play. It seems like the offense will never come to him. Calgary will likely hold him than take the peanuts he's worth.

Unlike most, I think Reinhart has the best chance to turn it around. He is soft like Bennett, but he can still control the puck and looks to make plays. Feels more like a skilled possession player than Bennett. Maybe he will be the slow maturer and find his game over time. At least he had a nice rookie year.

Strome and Ho Sang are disasters for different reasons. Isn't Ho Sang an attitude problem? Strome is a failure, what a shit trade, we best not make that mistake.

Milano would be a fun kid to work into the lineup, but Columbus would want a legit asset in return. How could we make this work? We need Milano for a 3rd or something and Columbus isn't doing that.

Athanasiou is the man and does not belong in this group, as you mentioned. I think we should target him in the offseason, maybe during draft day. Too much bad blood, not enough cap in Detroit. Besides gamebreakers, we need more of this kind of player, young, fast, upside, who can slot up and down the lineup. If you liked Hags or Grabs, hello Athanasiou.

Athanasiou is the man and does not belong in this group, as you mentioned. I think we should target him in the offseason, maybe during draft day. Too much bad blood, not enough cap in Detroit. Besides gamebreakers, we need more of this kind of player, young, fast, upside, who can slot up and down the lineup. If you liked Hags or Grabs, hello Athanasiou.

Plus, like Mike pointed out on AA, he might be an ideal replacement if and when Grabner signs a bigger deal elsewhere.

Archived