• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Top Dmen are an Issue

The Dude

No offense has been coming from these guys.

McD has ZERO goals on the season.

Shattenkirk hasn't had one in 28 games.

How is this not brought up by the media? These guys aren't playing good enough, yet Smith is constantly sat?

This is atrocious. What the hell happened here? Do we blame Ruff? Is he first to get the axe? The underperforming is most obvious with these two, while Smith comes in third and the rest are playing above expectations. WTF?

No offense has been coming from these guys.

McD has ZERO goals on the season.

Shattenkirk hasn't had one in 28 games.

How is this not brought up by the media? These guys aren't playing good enough, yet Smith is constantly sat?

This is atrocious. What the hell happened here? Do we blame Ruff? Is he first to get the axe? The underperforming is most obvious with these two, while Smith comes in third and the rest are playing above expectations. WTF?

Why would we blame Ruff? Av is the fucking coach of this team. For so long it's been "my way or the highway" with the Rangers. When was the last time they had a player (other than the goalie) perform up to expectations? Why are the skilled players asked to play the same style as the 4th liners? Why are the D always looking for the stretch or rarely joining the offensive zone play? Nick Holden of all people (a guy I despise) is the only Dman I can think of that doesn't look like he has a bungie cord tethered to his back.

The Dmen have all underperformed except Staal, but his expectations were that he might be in the 6/7 role, so big deal. Regardless of what you think about AV, is there anything positive you can point to that Ruff has done? This D looks worse then ever. I have to go way back (pre Torts?) to think of a shitty D like this.

If it makes you feel better, w/o Boychuk and De Haan the Isles D is worse.

Why would we blame Ruff? Av is the fucking coach of this team. For so long it's been "my way or the highway" with the Rangers. When was the last time they had a player (other than the goalie) perform up to expectations? Why are the skilled players asked to play the same style as the 4th liners? Why are the D always looking for the stretch or rarely joining the offensive zone play? Nick Holden of all people (a guy I despise) is the only Dman I can think of that doesn't look like he has a bungie cord tethered to his back.

I've suggested AV has an issue with puck carrying Dmen in the past. I was shot down. I seriously don't get how guys like Yandle, Boyle and now Shattenkirk, come in as guys who accel at carrying the puck in deep, then turn into these guys who "make a great first pass" , but no longer carry the puck. How does this happen? I was told no coach would restrict their players to do so... But this is three in a row along with McD, whom started out as above average at bringing the puck in deep or to the net, but no longer dies anything of the sort. Instead like the others he shuffles the puck along the boards or across to his point partner who does the same.

I've suggested AV has an issue with puck carrying Dmen in the past. I was shot down. I seriously don't get how guys like Yandle, Boyle and now Shattenkirk, come in as guys who accel at carrying the puck in deep, then turn into these guys who "make a great first pass" , but no longer carry the puck. How does this happen? I was told no coach would restrict their players to do so... But this is three in a row along with McD, whom started out as above average at bringing the puck in deep or to the net, but no longer dies anything of the sort. Instead like the others he shuffles the puck along the boards or across to his point partner who does the same.

This is exactly right. I get that Shattenkirk isn't a great defensive player. That was never in dispute. The idea was that his offense would outweigh his defensive mistakes and early in the year, it did. The PP was awesome and he was involved on almost every offensive rush. Now? Now he doesn't do shit with the puck. AV says he's a work in progress and he's completely useless. That was not the case in the first month of the season. Not at all.

AV definitely doesn't like puck-carrying defensemen. His whole system is predicated on defensemen getting rid of the puck lol

I get that, but when these puck carriers are brought in, they usually start off hot, carry the puck a lot and the offense looks great. Then they settle in and it's a pass fest and safe exits.

Why bring these guys in? Might as well have a team of Holden. Fuck spending money on offensive Dmen. They all wind up underwhelming in this system.

Archived