Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Rangers Should Look at Options on UFAs, May Be Willing to Listen on Zucc, McD

Senior Member Mite Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    All good points. Glad you agree that we should hold till near the deadline, before pulling the trigger. Agree on the pragmatic attitude that if we sign a guy, then no asset mgmt issue.

If Grab's price or term is too high after serious discussions and he doesn't value not having to worry about an injury affect his family's security, then we may have to move in another direction. If he wants to gamble (ala Steve Smith, NY Giants) and leave a place he said is the best fit he could possibly imagine for a few extra $, so be it.
    And I guess what I’m saying is that a resign will determining factor for me. If they can’t get it done then I want to move him rather than taking a remote shot at the cup. His value as a rental will be sky high there is no way to justify not trading him unless he’s resigned before the deadline. Gorton should give his agent a hard date at which a contract needs to be agreed upon and signed. When that deadline hits and it should be st least a week before the deadline then Gorton can do what he has to.

On a side note and a player who is reportedly on the block is athanasiou. I would love to see the rangers look into him even if it meant trading some picks or prospects. He’s still very young and be the fastest guy in the league. He’s a center and he could be a useful speed replacement for grabs. Of course if grabs stays good. You can never have enough guys who skate like the wind

Nash does have a full ntc

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Nash does have a full ntc
    Sign me up for Athanasiou, many here are not high on him, but I am. The more you watch him the better you think he is. Plus he has more upside and would fit here.

Looked it up and seeing Nash has a modified clause. Dreger claims there is a list of 12 teams, where he can be traded.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Sign me up for Athanasiou, many here are not high on him, but I am. The more you watch him the better you think he is. Plus he has more upside and would fit here.

Looked it up and seeing Nash has a modified clause. Dreger claims there is a list of 12 teams, where he can be traded.
    I completely disagree about athanasiou. He's more frustrating everytime I watch him. I love speed. Love it. But this guy is a 1 trick pony. Cant pass, cant shoot, cant play d, terrible position, cant win a draw to save his life, puts up under .5 ppg with a ton of playing time. He's an Etem.
    He'll show up on nhl replays twice a season, but most of the time he'll be on there getting burned, or staring at a play.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    He's brutal. Diamond hands. Sounds good, but harder than stone.

It's just Rico Fata in the "new" NHL.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    People are enamored with speed, which is fine until you actually watch them play hockey. I know a kid that I'd bet on from goal line to goal line against kids 2-3 years older than him in junior. Throw a puck out there and watch what happens. Kid should just burn his gear and go the speed skating route.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Guess you guys didn't see any of the Detroit game last night, sweet goal. Or the game prior against Chicago. Of the action I saw, the kid was the best player on the ice. 4 points in 2 games.

He is just 23. His first year he was called up for the last 34 games . He potted 10G and 11A. Last year was his first full year. He played 64 and scored 18 goals. He missed camp this year and has 9 goals in 37, but his play is picking up. And his D is solid. I'd love to give him a shot here and understand you guys aren't keen to the idea. Let's see how he progresses this year and next, wherever he winds up.

Couldn’t imagine it costing much to get him. The guy gets chances like Grabner does. If he ever learns to finish he’ll score 30. Please reread i said if.

The rangers supposed identity is speed and transition. Not sure how a player like that doesn’t fit the bill more than half the forwards currently residing here.

He’s a flawed player much like Grabner was when he came to ny. If he wasn’t he’d be untouchable. He has tons of upside and it’s the exact type move that may cost you a mid level prospect or a second round pick, maybe even Vesey straight up. Point is the guy has home run potential in what he could become. He could also never develop more than what he is now which at the very least is s high energy, great forechecking forward that backs off the opponent. His speed doesn’t take nights off either nor does the threat of it

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Guess you guys didn't see any of the Detroit game last night, sweet goal. Or the game prior against Chicago. Of the action I saw, the kid was the best player on the ice. 4 points in 2 games.

He is just 23. His first year he was called up for the last 34 games . He potted 10G and 11A. Last year was his first full year. He played 64 and scored 18 goals. He missed camp this year and has 9 goals in 37, but his play is picking up. And his D is solid. I'd love to give him a shot here and understand you guys aren't keen to the idea. Let's see how he progresses this year and next, wherever he winds up.
    I'm more against giving up much of anything for him. And its unrealistic to expect him to be a consistent contributor, offensively, or earn top-6 playing minutes, as he's getting now.
    So, for my bottom 6, I'd much rather have Fast, Grabner, Boo, Andersson, and someone with some grit&leadership. more along the lines of prototypical bottom 6 guys. Depending on the direction of the team this summer, might even need a spot or 2 for some rookies 'developing'

Senior Member Junior Division

Why would Detroit trade him when they are looking to dump their high priced vets and continue with a rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Why would Detroit trade him when they are looking to dump their high priced vets and continue with a rebuild?
    Situation regarding his contract got very bad this off season. The team and the player were both unhappy how the situation was handled.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Situation regarding his contract got very bad this off season. The team and the player were both unhappy how the situation was handled.
    But Nash doesnt fit in with a Red Wings rebuild, and therefore Nash probably wouldnt even want to go be part of a rebuild.

Moderator Junior Division
    Russ Cohen on nhl channel Sirius just said he doesn’t believe Nash would waive wis ntc for a move at the deadline anyway. He also says that while the rangers would be a preferred team to resign with that he thinks he would play the market with the leafs being a very possible destination. He says Babcock still loves him and Toronto would have no problem signing him to a short term deal.
    Ken Hitchcock loves him too. Nash has to submit a 12-team list of teams he'll accept a trade to, and I'd bet both would be on his list. Location will be largely irrelevant, since he won't uproot his family and make a full move after the deadline, and both teams will likely be in the playoffs.
    But Nash doesnt fit in with a Red Wings rebuild, and therefore Nash probably wouldnt even want to go be part of a rebuild.
    Right. A Nash for AA trade doesn't make any sense, but I could see them moving him just b/c, if they can't get rid of a contract, they won't be able to sign him anyways.

I'd flip them a 3rd for him in a heartbeat. But, as dangerous as AA is, he'll never get off the 4th line under AV, way to erratic and inconsistent. He and Grabner in the bottom-6 would be a ton of fun to watch though.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Ken Hitchcock loves him too. Nash has to submit a 12-team list of teams he'll accept a trade to, and I'd bet both would be on his list. Location will be largely irrelevant, since he won't uproot his family and make a full move after the deadline, and both teams will likely be in the playoffs.

Right. A Nash for AA trade doesn't make any sense, but I could see them moving him just b/c, if they can't get rid of a contract, they won't be able to sign him anyways.

I'd flip them a 3rd for him in a heartbeat. But, as dangerous as AA is, he'll never get off the 4th line under AV, way to erratic and inconsistent. He and Grabner in the bottom-6 would be a ton of fun to watch though.
    Ah crap, I thought he still had full NMC.

12-team list (he accepts trade to)
    Division, always list divisional opponents
    Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Caps, Pittsburgh
    Desired teams: SJ, TB, Bruins, Blues, Nashville, Dallas (11)

Then fill it with teams that wouldnt trade for him at the deadline.

Maybe: BJs (previous team, previous coach... kinda doubt he wants to go there and leave in a few months), Toronto (likes coach, not Canada)

Read my post. I never said Nash for him. Of course Detroit would want nine of that. 2nd or 3rd. Maybe Vesey. Don’t know if I love that trade but I’d have to think about it

Again it comes down to what is your identity? If you want to play fast and be fast he would fit the bill and do it for a couple of years at a cheap rate. You’d have a couple of years to see if he develops and fits.

The guy scored 18 goals last year and will do close to the same this year. That is not nothing for a 23 year old who skates like he does. He will probably always leave you wanting more.

I know it’s not sexy and I know he’s flawed. However he’s 23 and is probably a top 5% skater league wide. He’s the kind of guy you get for cheap, don’t have to pay a ton and has a large upside potential.

It’s pretty low risk. Worse case scenario he’s a third /fourth liner that brings speed in spades. It’s not being in love with him but speed does open the ice up. Teams have to respect it and in some respect back off on their forecheck and at their defensive blue line.

As far as I’ve seen the guy plays with a lot of energy. He plays physical by today’s standards. His hands and head are still trying to catch up with his legs but he does show flashes. Those flashes are things others couldn’t even try to do.

It’s probably not happening but I would certainly be making a phone call to see what the cost is. It couldn’t hurt

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678