Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Rangers Should Look at Options on UFAs, May Be Willing to Listen on Zucc, McD

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    I think the win it all ship has sailed off. They had several GREAT chances and came close. Reminds me the Knicks (with Ewing) in the 90s. Shit happens. Hank is the Rangers Patrick Ewing.

These past 2 seasons have been tough to stomach and I'm ready for changes and promise my own patience.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Perhaps.
    Since this board was created, every single year has been "let's tear it down and sell". With a few more moves, it could have been different

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Perhaps.
    Since this board was created, every single year has been "let's tear it down and sell". With a few more moves, it could have been different
    Personally, up through last year I gave this team a legit chance to make a run in the playoffs and was fine with them adding pieces they thought would work. This is the first time I'm officially against that idea based on what I've seen this season, plus the injuries to Kreider and Shatty. Even with a conferences filled with mediocrity I hate feeling this way, but I do.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Personally, up through last year I gave this team a legit chance to make a run in the playoffs and was fine with them adding pieces they thought would work. This is the first time I'm officially against that idea based on what I've seen this season, plus the injuries to Kreider and Shatty. Even with a conferences filled with mediocrity I hate feeling this way, but I do.
    I know. You haven't , other than this season - understandable.

Just saying... "we've" been demanding a rebuild for 7 seasons, even though it's including conference and cup finals.

NY lotto... hey, you never know.

I'd rather go all in on the team, rather than a draft.

(Mostly regarding past teams, now, we have to wait and see)

Senior Member Squirt Division Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Exactly. I’m more a year past that but after a trip to the finals and a trip to the ecf I understood the need to see if they could flip a switch. Last year and this year I view as opportunities to better position themselves for near future success. Even if the prospects acquired never play here but are used as currency to betterc the team maybe at next years deadline.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Exactly. I’m more a year past that but after a trip to the finals and a trip to the ecf I understood the need to see if they could flip a switch. Last year and this year I view as opportunities to better position themselves for near future success. Even if the prospects acquired never play here but are used as currency to betterc the team maybe at next years deadline.
    To piggyback on that - I just think management has to be smart with moves. Even if you think this window is closing, looking at next year, with the same roster, they'll still be competitive. Progression of Buch, chytil, Lias, skjei... they could be competitive next season. Just need to be cognizant of the current situation, including next few seasons.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Maybe getting some of these guys a bit more playoff experience will be the best way for future playoff success.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Perhaps.
    Somewhat of a blanket statement.
    Every single year huh? Iím guessing every single poster also?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    you said it, sister!

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Maybe I just need a hug

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Maybe I just need a hug
    lol.
    no, i think most of us are "see what happens in the next few weeks to see if we should sell" or "sell regardless"

I just think our current core is way too good to just ignore it and bank on a random draft pick to be better than ~Greztky to fix the organization. drafting for 4 years wont give you a better base than what we currently have.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    lol.
    no, i think most of us are "see what happens in the next few weeks to see if we should sell" or "sell regardless"

I just think our current core is way too good to just ignore it and bank on a random draft pick to be better than ~Greztky to fix the organization. drafting for 4 years wont give you a better base than what we currently have.
    Except that you can't actually say this with certainty, and the odds of probability are not in your favor. Far more teams that draft high consistently, for a period of say 3-5 years, have found success than haven't.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Except that you can't actually say this with certainty, and the odds of probability are not in your favor. Far more teams that draft high consistently, for a period of say 3-5 years, have found success than haven't.
    Phil that's not true. Again I've posted the numbers. Florida, Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Colorado. The list goes on. These teams have been in the top 10 in just about every draft for the last decade. What have they won?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    And we're not even arguing the Rangers having multiple top 10 picks. The argument is getting a couple extra in the 20s.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    The best team in the NHL has only existed for one draft lol

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    lol.

Our current core makes us the San Jose Sharks of the east. Always a bridesmaid...

We're probably three quality pieces from being a true contender, especially with McD playing as he is. Our window is rapidly closing - and if that isn't evident yet, it will be soon. Henrik's the only reason we're not sitting around drooling at highlights of Rasmus Dahlin already, and he can't stand on his head forever.

I think we're better off recognizing that now and offing a few pieces that wouldn't be on our 2020 team. We won't miss the kinds of players we're talking about trading. Nash can come back in FA if he's so inclined. Zucc and McD are value plays - both will command big bucks in the open market, and neither is going to get a big contract from us. If we can't compete today, and we can't compete next year, let someone overpay us for them.

Our 2020 team will be very, very different than this one, but the decisions made now can impact just how competitive it is. I'm willing to take that risk instead of continually trying to force the window open like we did in 98.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Phil that's not true. Again I've posted the numbers. Florida, Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Colorado. The list goes on. These teams have been in the top 10 in just about every draft for the last decade. What have they won?

The Rangers have more playoff series victories in the last decade than all of these teams combined, and it's not even close. They've missed the playoffs once since returning from 04/05 lockout, which might account for more appearances than these teamed combined. Lol.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Our current core makes us the San Jose Sharks of the east. Always a bridesmaid...

We're probably three quality pieces from being a true contender, especially with McD playing as he is. Our window is rapidly closing - and if that isn't evident yet, it will be soon. Henrik's the only reason we're not sitting around drooling at highlights of Rasmus Dahlin already, and he can't stand on his head forever.

I think we're better off recognizing that now and offing a few pieces that wouldn't be on our 2020 team. We won't miss the kinds of players we're talking about trading. Nash can come back in FA if he's so inclined. Zucc and McD are value plays - both will command big bucks in the open market, and neither is going to get a big contract from us. If we can't compete today, and we can't compete next year, let someone overpay us for them.

Our 2020 team will be very, very different than this one, but the decisions made now can impact just how competitive it is. I'm willing to take that risk instead of continually trying to force the window open like we did in 98.
    great post.
    I don't disagree.

But...
    You can't tell me the 2020 team is going to have the equivalent of a Lundqvist, a Nash, a Kreider, a Zuccarello Zib, Miller, McDonagh, Skjei, Buchnevich, resurgent Staal, Shattenkirk, Grabner, Fast, etc etc

Too much on this roster to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post

Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Columbus, Tampa all had a couple absolute shit years, drafted/sold high, and turned things around pretty fast. You can probably add Toronto to the list too, once they got their heads on straight and figured out that jamming a window open isn't as good as creating a new one. Heck, come back to me on the Islanders, Winnipeg, and Colorado at the end of this season; seems like they're all turning their respective corners.

Arizona, Buffalo, Florida, and Edmonton are uniquely bad in part because they're horrendously managed/owned, and in part because they're extremely poor at developing assets.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

great post.
    I don't disagree.

But...
    You can't tell me the 2020 team is going to have the equivalent of a Lundqvist, a Nash, a Kreider, a Zuccarello Zib, Miller, McDonagh, Skjei, Buchnevich, resurgent Staal, Shattenkirk, Grabner, Fast, etc etc

Too much on this roster to waste.
    Can't say it with certainty, but I can say with certainty that we don't have the movable assets to fill three holes for 2018. If we move Andersson or Chytil to do so, it's a poor move.
    Hidden Content

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789