Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: Halfway There Report Card 2017-18: Coach's Edition

  1. #61
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rumors that Joel Quinnville might be in trouble in Chicago.
    Forgot about this thread, missed this post. Missed a conversation about the great Gilbert Perreault who'd combine skating, stick-handling and passing the way Scorcese edited the Godfather.

    After the Hawks and Rangers miss the playoffs Joey Q comes here as the best available experienced coach. I like the more progressive Keefe as an option, Phil suggested.

    Keenan sucks. Little known fact. We were lucky Keenan did not get his way with Neil Smith on trading Zubov for some Keenan goon. Forget who, at the moment. He threw a shit fit in Neil's office, when Smith drew the line. Keenan also wanted Kovalev traded, which caused issues. He also forced Smith to trade Amonte for Noonan and Matteau. Neil mentioned that he hated that he was forced to make that trade. Left to his own devices, Keenan could kill a team quick.

  2. #62
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    243
    Kovalev was an idiot. I've heard him described as, and I quote: "The dumbest man I've ever seen in or out of hockey"

    I also heard some great stories about Healey and Keenan, mostly how Healey didn't give a shit and just laid in to Keenan.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,375
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Forgot about this thread, missed this post. Missed a conversation about the great Gilbert Perreault who'd combine skating, stick-handling and passing the way Scorcese edited the Godfather.

    After the Hawks and Rangers miss the playoffs Joey Q comes here as the best available experienced coach. I like the more progressive Keefe as an option, Phil suggested.

    Keenan sucks. Little known fact. We were lucky Keenan did not get his way with Neil Smith on trading Zubov for some Keenan goon. Forget who, at the moment. He threw a shit fit in Neil's office, when Smith drew the line. Keenan also wanted Kovalev traded, which caused issues. He also forced Smith to trade Amonte for Noonan and Matteau. Neil mentioned that he hated that he was forced to make that trade. Left to his own devices, Keenan could kill a team quick.
    Or his own career
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  4. #64
    Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,835
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Forgot about this thread, missed this post. Missed a conversation about the great Gilbert Perreault who'd combine skating, stick-handling and passing the way Scorcese edited the Godfather.

    After the Hawks and Rangers miss the playoffs Joey Q comes here as the best available experienced coach. I like the more progressive Keefe as an option, Phil suggested.

    Keenan sucks. Little known fact. We were lucky Keenan did not get his way with Neil Smith on trading Zubov for some Keenan goon. Forget who, at the moment. He threw a shit fit in Neil's office, when Smith drew the line. Keenan also wanted Kovalev traded, which caused issues. He also forced Smith to trade Amonte for Noonan and Matteau. Neil mentioned that he hated that he was forced to make that trade. Left to his own devices, Keenan could kill a team quick.
    so did i,we gave those young players away,fucking rangers system,i know we won the cup,we would of won no matter what ,but we gambled and gave up the future, and sucked for quite a few years, thats just the rangers way
    Last edited by lefty9; 01-26-2018 at 11:27 PM.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    so did i,we gave those young players away,fucking rangers system,i know we won the cup,we would of won no matter what ,but we gambled and gave up the future, and sucked for quite a few years, thats just the rangers way
    Yeah, the trades that started in the 90s that jettisoned the talent Craig Patrick drafted for big name older players were disgusting. I also believe we would have won the Cup (maybe more than 1) had we valued our own talent, self-scouted better and were flat-out smarter.

    The idiocy started with trading Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato for partyboy Bernie Nichols. We all came to live with that trade once the team realized what they did and shipped Bernie out for Messier. Unfortunately Messier was coming to NY, regardless.

    Yet, in 93 asset madness kicked-in, starting with trading Kevin Miller for no damn reason. Then using Doug Weight to get Esa, when Edmonton would have taken less. Next was Beezer! Then Patrick and Turcotte. Capped off by the Amonte trade, which also saw Todd Marchant and Gartner (likely a Messier influenced deal) traded the same day in other massive overpays. Let's not forget that offseason, Zubov, one of the key pieces to winning the Cup, was sent to the Pens.

    For those too young, it'd sorta be the equivalent of Winnipeg trading Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele, Morrissey and Trouba for Marleau, Thornton, Boumeister, Hartnell and Sharp. No cap implications back then, but still it's a jumbo mortgage.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    66
    BTW, I recognize a few of the pieces we got back played an important role in winning that awesome year. However, in the rush to either get rid of players Keenan did not like or often bring in a vet we were obsessed with, the other team raked us over the coals. Also, had we not made some of the trades earlier, guys like Miller, Mullen and Turcotte may have been the assets used to acquire MacTavish or Esa.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Yeah, the trades that started in the 90s that jettisoned the talent Craig Patrick drafted for big name older players were disgusting. I also believe we would have won the Cup (maybe more than 1) had we valued our own talent, self-scouted better and were flat-out smarter.

    The idiocy started with trading Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato for partyboy Bernie Nichols. We all came to live with that trade once the team realized what they did and shipped Bernie out for Messier. Unfortunately Messier was coming to NY, regardless.

    Yet, in 93 asset madness kicked-in, starting with trading Kevin Miller for no damn reason. Then using Doug Weight to get Esa, when Edmonton would have taken less. Next was Beezer! Then Patrick and Turcotte. Capped off by the Amonte trade, which also saw Todd Marchant and Gartner (likely a Messier influenced deal) traded the same day in other massive overpays. Let's not forget that offseason, Zubov, one of the key pieces to winning the Cup, was sent to the Pens.

    For those too young, it'd sorta be the equivalent of Winnipeg trading Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele, Morrissey and Trouba for Marleau, Thornton, Boumeister, Hartnell and Sharp. No cap implications back then, but still it's a jumbo mortgage.
    The Zubov trade was idiocy. Guy had a great career.

    Gartner and Messier apparently hated each other back to Messier's 1st season in the WHA and that never changed. Got worse under Nielsen here, where Messier's line played one balls to the wall style and the rest of the team played Nielsen's defense first style. But for some injuries the 1991/92 team would have won it all. That and Richter giving up a garbage goal on a dump pass.

    https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1992.html
    Last edited by Bugg; 01-28-2018 at 08:53 PM.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    That and Richter giving up a garbage goal on a dump pass.

    https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1992.html
    I still see that play when I close my eyes.... to this day!!!

  9. #69
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    739
    Rep Power
    19
    Not really a dump in. Slap shot from 100ft. Awful goal but for people that didn’t see it, calling it a dump in doesn’t describe it

  10. #70
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    18
    Ron Francis!

    5 Hole!

  11. #71
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Not really a dump in. Slap shot from 100ft. Awful goal but for people that didn’t see it, calling it a dump in doesn’t describe it
    Was sitting in next to last row of MSG; it may have been a slapper, but wasn't moving 100mph and wasn't like he was even much trying to put it on goal. Arguably worst goal given up in a playoff game, ever.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Forgot about this thread, missed this post. Missed a conversation about the great Gilbert Perreault who'd combine skating, stick-handling and passing the way Scorcese edited the Godfather.

    After the Hawks and Rangers miss the playoffs Joey Q comes here as the best available experienced coach. I like the more progressive Keefe as an option, Phil suggested.
    Yeah Giac, I miss those days of the big lines:

    The French Connection,
    The Triple Crown
    The GAG Line...and so on =)

    I wonder if Joel would be a decent fit here as well. I'd really like to see a different type approach; maybe an unproven coach or one that's been on the sideline a while that wants to return in a big way, like a Crawford-type. I just haven't followed it as closely of late to know who's available or who's out there looking. I think we're going to have to "dance with the chick we brought to the party" so to speak for the rest of this season though.

    It's even hard to get mad at him because he's a nice guy and he's so good with the media. Hell, he's even good on those MSG Rangers shows! But he is a "Situational Spaz" when it comes to being behind the bench to me.

    I hope they give him a job in the front office doing PR or something. He's probably a good dude, but just keep him away from Lettieri, the other kids and JT Miller!! =)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •