Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analytics and Eyeballs: Marc Staal is Bringing the D

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Doubt the NYR will be signing Tavares.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Any potential trades the Rangers make in season are 100% directly related to the standings. If the Rangers fall out of a playoff spot over the next month they'll become sellers looking to move Nash, Grabs, DD, and Holden. If you can find a taker for Staal as well, even better. At that point adding a "weaker" player to the third pair is actually more beneficial. You call up Graves for the last month or two. Allows you to see Graves at the NHL level. If Graves plays well awesome. If he sucks you learn that about him and while improving you draft position.

You should be worried about Staal. While he may be playing better than last year, it remains highly unlikely he plays out the contract here. If we truly have any shot at signing Taraves we could really use the $2.8M saved by trading Staal 50% retained. Also, retaining 50% of his salary is better cap wise than buying out the last 2 or 3 years of the contract.
    It gets a little more nuanced, cap-wise. Year 1 (18/19) of a Staal buyout this Summer would see a savings of $500K over a 50% retained trade. So if there is a signing target like Tavares where every little bit of cap space will become vital in year 1, then a buyout could be preferable. You can worry about year 2 (19/20) when a Staal buyout would add $500K over a 50% retention when Zucc and McDonagh are UFAs and there could be cap savings there if the team moves on from them.

How you handle this all depends on short-term and long-term objectives and targets. It's all complicated by how many seasons the Rangers "went for it" specifically when the team wasn't really close enough to. That will likely be the case again this deadline.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Doubt the NYR will be signing Tavares.
    What they need to do is know if they want to go that route, understand whether they are in a position to do that or not cap-wise, and if he wants to sign here.

To the cap-wise portion of that program, it's completely doable, although it will take some planning and determinations on who on the roster is expendable to make that happen.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Senior Member Bantam Division
    With the cap projected to go up to somewhere around $80-82M, I don't think that $500k will break the bank. Won't happen but here's my dream team for next year...

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    With the cap projected to go up to somewhere around $80-82M, I don't think that $500k will break the bank. Won't happen but here's my dream team for next year...
    wrong link. thats to the edit the roster page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12