Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Oprah?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

President Oprah?

Amid churning speculation about whether or not Oprah Winfrey will throw her name into the running for the 2020 presidential campaign, the mogul's closest friend, Gayle King, has waded into the conversation. Speaking on her show, CBS This Morning, on Tuesday, the cohost said while Winfrey's official position hasn't changed, she isn't ruling it out just yet.

"I absolutely don't think that her position has changed," said King when pressed about the developing news story, which was sparked by Winfrey's rousing Golden Globes speech (above) Sunday. "I was up talking to her very late last night. I do think this though, guys: I do think she's intrigued by the idea, I do think that. I also know that after years of watching the Oprah show, you always have the right to change your mind."

King went on to say that she doesn't think Winfrey is "actually considering" it at this point, but that "there are people who said they want to be her campaign manager, who want to quit their jobs and campaign for her." Adding of her close pal, "She loves this country and would like to be of service in some way, but I don't think she's actively considering it at this time."

King also clarified the headline-making response Winfrey's longtime partner Stedman Graham had given on Golden Globes night, which fanned the flames. He told the L.A. Times: “It’s up to the people. She would absolutely do it," but King said he was responding to the question, "Would she make a good president?" — not, "Will she run?"
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...sident-1073239

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I'd prefer her over Killery. Not gonna lie though, this is exactly the shit that worried me when Trump won. Now Celebrities are going to start running and will probably have a fair shot at winning because this country is too fucking caught up in pop culture. Hey, Reagan did it, Trump did it, why not "me too"?

President Oprah?

Is it wrong that my gut reaction to this was disgust, especially with how much the media fawned over the idea? She's not Trump, in that she's actually fairly intelligent, well-spoken, and seems to genuinely care about the people, but the goal for 2020 should be to rebound, not sink farther into celeb-ritics. Her getting the nomination over vastly more qualified and credentialed candidates like Gillibrand, Harris, or Warren just feels wrong. If anything, she should be using her influence to get behind one of them. Not in front of them.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Is it wrong that my gut reaction to this was disgust, especially with how much the media fawned over the idea? She's not Trump, in that she's actually fairly intelligent, well-spoken, and seems to genuinely care about the people, but the goal for 2020 should be to rebound, not sink farther into celeb-ritics. Her getting the nomination over vastly more qualified and credentialed candidates like Gillibrand, Harris, or Warren. If anything, she should be using her influence to get behind one of them. Not in front of them.

Agreed. I fucking love Dwayne Johnson, when I read something about him running I just shook my head. I'm so over pop culture bullshit. Who am I kidding though, its not as if these politicians aren't mostly corrupt douchebags either. I've already decided I am writing in Tom Kirkman in 2020.

Yes, many politicians are corrupt. That's not a reason to lower our collective standards for the highest office in the land.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yes, many politicians are corrupt. That's not a reason to lower our collective standards for the highest office in the land.

Oh I never said we should. I think its stupid. I was obviously just being funny with the Tom Kirkman statement.

Moderator Junior Division
    The whole giving away free cars and then nobody who got them could afford the taxes on them is probably exactly how her political campaign would go.

I also don't believe that she cares about people any more than anybody else. She doesn't do anything that isn't a PR move.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The whole giving away free cars and then nobody who got them could afford the taxes on them is probably exactly how her political campaign would go.

I also don't believe that she cares about people any more than anybody else. She doesn't do anything that isn't a PR move.
    "...seems to genuinely care about the people"

In direct comparison to Trump, who I think it's fair to say almost certainly does not.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    "...seems to genuinely care about the people"

In direct comparison to Trump, who I think it's fair to say almost certainly does not.
    Well what they seem to be is irrelevant.

I just don't think that anybody who builds a career around getting famous for the sake of getting famous - media, politicians, actors, talk show hosts - care about what anybody else wants. They covet attention. I think the only group of people I can think of who would run for office that I believe would do it for the good of other people are team sport athletes, and even then that group is thinning. I'd vote for Steve Kerr tomorrow, no questions asked.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Agreed. I fucking love Dwayne Johnson, when I read something about him running I just shook my head. I'm so over pop culture bullshit. Who am I kidding though, its not as if these politicians aren't mostly corrupt douchebags either. I've already decided I am writing in Tom Kirkman in 2020.
    Fuck it, write in David Palmer

But for real, I'm pretty much with you on this. There's more to being president than being well-spoken and fairly intelligent, which Oprah and dozens of celebrities definitely are. I hate the idea that the celebrity culture in this country is now permeating so heavily into politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    But for real, I'm pretty much with you on this. There's more to being president than being well-spoken and fairly intelligent, which Oprah and dozens of celebrities definitely are. I hate the idea that the celebrity culture in this country is now permeating so heavily into politics.
    Me too. The sheep will flock.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    complain that theres a "reality star" in the oval office.

nominates a talk show host.

#merica
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post

I like that this bring awareness to politics in the US.

Unfortunately, Americans are too fucking stupid and just eat up any piece of bullshit information they read in a tweet and pass it along as facts. Just follow politicians on twitter and watch the reaction when they tweet. Its usually involves celebrity chiming in with irrelevant and inaccurate facts, and it gets like 4 million times.

Additionally, I "like" the focus on corruption in the govt... but again, our politicians are too fucking stupid, and corrupt the process of investigating corrupt politics. THEYRE ALL CORRUPT.

Another issue with a celebrity being in office - they really arent "in" politics - and politicians dont like it. Trump is hated by the Democrats because he was elected as a Republicans, and hes an outsider to Washington. Republicans dont like him because he's a democrat, and an outsider in Washington.

Only bills getting through/attention are the mass-hysteria bills... not the shit that will actually better our lives.

I'm pretty sure Americans just vote based on which candidate they'd rather hear read a book-on-tape

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    complain that theres a "reality star" in the oval office.

nominates a talk show host.

#merica
    Yeah, and the cognitive dissonance would be ringing so loud that the vast majority of Americans wouldn't even understand why this is problematic.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I like that this bring awareness to politics in the US.

Unfortunately, Americans are too fucking stupid and just eat up any piece of bullshit information they read in a tweet and pass it along as facts. Just follow politicians on twitter and watch the reaction when they tweet. Its usually involves celebrity chiming in with irrelevant and inaccurate facts, and it gets like 4 million times.

Additionally, I "like" the focus on corruption in the govt... but again, our politicians are too fucking stupid, and corrupt the process of investigating corrupt politics. THEYRE ALL CORRUPT.
    So, do nothing? I mean, if everyone is corrupt, then the process of free elections is just an exercise in futility. As is the prospect of discussing the values of anyone in politics or attempting to enter them.

I'd much rather do away with the purity test entirely, as no one will ever pass it. Talk about a rigged system...

Instead, I'd much rather focus on a potential candidate's values, and whether or not they help more than they hurt, and whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. Trying to determine value by pointing to mistakes and/or negative traits as evidence of why someone ought to be disqualified from the candidate field would leave you empty handed every single time.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Here's a thought: How about limiting the power of central government so you don't really have to worry about who's in it.

More power to State (Provincial in my case) , County and Municipal government actually allows locals to set laws to how they want to live.

Central Government is almost exclusively terrible. I don't want to live like you, you don't want to live like me. Seems pretty obvious that de-centralization is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Here's a thought: How about limiting the power of central government so you don't really have to worry about who's in it.

More power to State (Provincial in my case) , County and Municipal government actually allows locals to set laws to how they want to live.

Central Government is almost exclusively terrible. I don't want to live like you, you don't want to live like me. Seems pretty obvious that de-centralization is the answer.
    That would sound great, where do I sign up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast