Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Lose Kevin Hayes to Lower-Body Injury

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Rangers Lose Kevin Hayes to Lower-Body Injury

So, the Rangers will probably be without Kevin Hayes for a little while.

Early in the first half of the first period, Hayes was slow to get up after Vegas Golden Knights defenseman Nate Schmidt rode him hard into the boards:

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Not to high jack this thread before we even know the extent of Hayes' injury, but the GDT put this in my head and I don't want it to get lost in the GDT...

Lot of talk last week about trading people, rebuilding, etc. I took the hard stance of saying the team wasn't going to start trading people for draft picks while in a playoff position. Now that's pretty much just a fact, the team won't do that. No team will. But that's not to say I'm against trading people, to cash in for the future. Here's the thing, if you want the team to rebuild, trade people for picks, and try to refresh the roster with new talent the team needs to lose. Its oxymoronic to want to demand the team win AND trade Nash. I get it. We're all emotional fans. We want to have our cake and eat it to. Gorton is paid to be the GM to act without emotion. If the team is in the playoffs hunt, we're not trading people. If we're out of it, he'll sell. That's how it works. No team wants to be a seller at the deadline, it just works out that way sometimes.

So let's bring this back around to Hayes' status. First and foremost I hope he and Kreider both fully recover, can play again, and their injuries don't hinder their quality of life beyond hockey. That said, if Hayes misses a month+, it will be painful to watch (as emotional fans), but if you can put on you GM glasses you'll see the rebuild you've been asking for.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The supposed 2nd line center has 8 assists this year...
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 01-08-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The supposed 2nd line center has 8 assists this year...
    While more assists would be nice, he is, since last year, used in a defensive roll. Starts 59% of his 5 on 5 shifts in the D zone. Taken by far the most D zone faceoffs. Top PK minutes on the team for forwards. If you think Hayes won't be missed because you're only looking at 8 assists you're sorely mistaken. As bad as they are defensively, they'll be even worse without Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    While more assists would be nice, he is, since last year, used in a defensive roll. Starts 59% of his 5 on 5 shifts in the D zone. Taken by far the most D zone faceoffs. Top PK minutes on the team for forwards. If you think Hayes won't be missed because you're only looking at 8 assists you're sorely mistaken. As bad as they are defensively, they'll be even worse without Hayes.
    Of course he'll be missed. There's no one to fill his role - maybe Nieves can? There's no center to call up. They'll probably have to shift Miller back to center.

I'm just saying if people are wondering why the Rangers are mediocre - that's a stat to look at. Our 2nd line center has 17 points on the season. Defensive role or not, you need at lease SOME offense from that position.

Bigger point to me is that Vesey, Hayes and Miller are all the same player - Miller being the most well rounded - do we need all three?
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Midget Division
    Hayes is one of the best 3rd line shutdown C's in the entire league, who will also contribute on O, cause turnovers and slow the game down. That is how he should be perceived and looked at by mgmt. Afterall, that is the position they placed him. He is more valuable when surrounded by fast players and when the team has fast 200' centers in the 1,2,and 4 slot.

We are severely lacking that skating competitive 2C. Looks like we'll be missing our 3C now, too. Combined with losing Kreider, our problems are now compounded.

Moderator Junior Division
    Of course he'll be missed. There's no one to fill his role - maybe Nieves can? There's no center to call up. They'll probably have to shift Miller back to center.

I'm just saying if people are wondering why the Rangers are mediocre - that's a stat to look at. Our 2nd line center has 17 points on the season. Defensive role or not, you need at lease SOME offense from that position.

Bigger point to me is that Vesey, Hayes and Miller are all the same player - Miller being the most well rounded - do we need all three?
    He's not a second-line center, people need to stop looking at him that way. He's used as a defensive, matchup center who doesn't get PP time. He might be #2 on the depth chart, but in practice he's not.

Senior Member Midget Division

31, the problem is that our 2C is not on the roster. Unless you think that is Z. In which case, we have a bigger void to fill at 1C. Either way we need a top-6 C.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    31, the problem is that our 2C is not on the roster. Unless you think that is Z. In which case, we have a bigger void to fill at 1C. Either way we need a top-6 C.
    I don't disagree with this at all. You want to call Hayes a 3rd line center, I can live with that, but that means we have a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th? We're rehashing old problems that go back to September - this is not a new issue - but now with Hayes out it's pretty much just Zib who can do anything offensively.
    GORTON 2020

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    His dZS has actually slightly regressed. He was playing the same role in this sense last year, too. But he's improved at the dot, and his possession metrics are much better, too. But the points are down. He's on pace for 34 points. That's not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He's not a second-line center, people need to stop looking at him that way. He's used as a defensive, matchup center who doesn't get PP time. He might be #2 on the depth chart, but in practice he's not.
    Why not? He puts up better numbers than Anisimov (who plays with Partick Kane) and plays better defensive hockey than him, too.

Hayes is more of a 2nd line center than Zibanejad is a first line center.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    His dZS has actually slightly regressed. He was playing the same role in this sense last year, too. But he's improved at the dot, and his possession metrics are much better, too. But the points are down. He's on pace for 34 points. That's not very good.

He'd be putting up points if he was playing with Miller and Grabner, like he did last year. The handful of games they played together this year, they were dynamic. I think splitting up those three is a bigger mistake by AV than tinkering with the KZB line.

He'd be putting up points if he was playing with Miller and Grabner, like he did last year. The handful of games they played together this year, they were dynamic. I think splitting up those three is a bigger mistake by AV than tinkering with the KZB line.
    Agreed.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Same old problem. Hayes is a fantastic 3. Zib is a fantastic 2.

It's the Peter Principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

Pre-injury, Zib was pacing 80 points or something. I think he's a legit #1, more than Stepan, anyways.

Problem solved. Just need a cheap 3rd Pair LHD.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Pre-injury, Zib was pacing 80 points or something. I think he's a legit #1, more than Stepan, anyways.
    Yeah, he's looked like a 1C for a single month in the past 5 years. That's the problem.

22 points in 24 games. Post-concussion, two points in nine games.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, he's looked like a 1C for a single month in the past 5 years. That's the problem.
    He's grown into the role. His year-over-year P/GP has improved marginally every season since 2013-14. He's still pacing 0.73 P/GP this year.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    22 points in 24 games. Post-concussion, two points in nine games.
    or it took 6 games to his flow back and now he has 2 points in his last 3...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast