Thread: Quick Hits: A Good Loser is Still a Loser

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Quick Hits: A Good Loser is Still a Loser

If You're Not First, You're Last

My initial reaction to Lias Andersson throwing his silver medal into the crowd after Sweden lost to Canada in the World Junior Championship was “wow, that's awesome”. Hours later, nothing has changed. If anything, I've grown even fonder of his attitude after reading he told a Swedish reporter who told him they got his medal back that he didn't want it. “I don't want a medal for losing”, he said. Fuck, that's great!

Say what you will about sportsmanship, but the fact Andersson could be this bothered by losing a tournament like this speaks volumes about his passion for the game, and his passion for winning.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Good collection of morsels there.

While I think Olympic silver or bronze in just about any event is a huge accomplishment, not appreciated enough.
    Olympic and WJC hockey is another thing, I have no problem with Andersson tossing his silver medal away. Even if it is symbolic, the kind of competitive play and spirit Andersson has built his early reputation on — well before the medal toss — is exactly what NYR need an injection of. Glad he's already a leader, because the team needs some more of that too.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Gimme this kid!! All day...and give him a coach that can get it out of him.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Or more specifically a coach who won't break that spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Anyone who bitches about what Andersson did is either an internet crusader or just plain ole has a stick up their ass. We ask for more personality in hockey and yet any time something happens, hockey twitter goes berserk. I'd love a little passion on the roster now.

As far as Nash goes a mid 2nd and a 3rd isn't enough. I'm front and center on the "trade nash" front but he should command more than that.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Nine goals or not, if I'm the Rangers, it's a conditional first round pick. There's no reason they should take a penny less than Carolina did for miserable Eric Staal.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Nine goals or not, if I'm the Rangers, it's a conditional first round pick. There's no reason they should take a penny less than Carolina did for miserable Eric Staal.

Exactly. He's 10x the player Staal is/was at the time.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Yup. Production is down, for sure, but he's a positive influence everywhere else. If you get him on a deep roster where he can play behind the stars (sup Dallas/Hitchcock?), he would probably be a huge addition. I can already see him finding a ton of success with Martin Hanzal.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yup. Production is down, for sure, but he's a positive influence everywhere else. If you get him on a deep roster where he can play behind the stars (sup Dallas/Hitchcock?), he would probably be a huge addition. I can already see him finding a ton of success with Martin Hanzal.

Exactly, on a team with some Star players he can be that Marian Hossa type. Hell, he'd look good on the Hawks if they climb the standings. On a team where he's "the guy" it's not a good idea but as a second/third liner - he'd be a great addition for someone. My entire "trade Nash" routine is assuming he'd fetch a 1st. He should.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Exactly, on a team with some Star players he can be that Marian Hossa type. Hell, he'd look good on the Hawks if they climb the standings. On a team where he's "the guy" it's not a good idea but as a second/third liner - he'd be a great addition for someone. My entire "trade Nash" routine is assuming he'd fetch a 1st. He should.
    Completely agree. Nash has an incredible amount of deep playoff experience, is an elite penalty killer and can slot in anywhere on any line-up. He must be approaching Shattenkirk value and there should be plenty of suitors to drive the price up. 2nd and 3rd round picks are not really interesting for the Rangers, so they should stand firm on a 2018 first rounder as a base for the deal.

I have been a big advocate of Nash since he got here and I agree with you guys. Now is the time to move him. He's had shitty numbers, yes. But the game he plays will definitely be a benefit to whatever team we move him to.

I'll even go out on a limb here and say this:

If Nash gets traded: (and only if Nash gets traded.....)

I'm gonna say whatever team he gets traded to, goes to the Cup Finals.
    On top of that I'm going to say that he's also going to be in the top 5 scorers for this years Playoffs.

Quote it!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I'm not one to shed tears about sports or losing, but hey he is a kid. Having said that, I like him even more now... that was a great how he reluctantly let the medal be put around his neck and then took it off like it had cooties and flung it into the crowd.

Brooks is a freakin quack and knows shit. You want to tell me Anaheim or LA or maybe others like Nashville or St Louis won't give their late first for Nash? Does he even think Gorton would move a top 6 guy off a team in a playoff run for less than a 1st? No he does not, he is just stirring the shit.

If we even consider trading him, it would be because he commands at least a #1. Mgmt would have to be pretty pessimistic about our chances and very tempted by the return.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 01-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.

I hope they move Nash too, Giaco....but they won't.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    Bye Bye Tricky Ricky Ca$h. It hasn't been nice seeing you kill penalties @ $8 mil. per. Can't be soon enuff.

He'll get to the Finals wherever he goes...watch!