Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash for Picks in the 2018 Draft?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rip the band-aid off and let it bleed...

So what? Why are we so afraid to suck? Why would you possibly desire a 7th or 8th place finish and another playoff whimper instead of a 1st rounder (or a slew of prospects) and a hope for the future?

Stepan is gone, Girardi is gone, Hank is 35, times are changing. That team from 2014 is dead. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can all move on. The Rangers need to stop living in "Hank's Window" and take a look around at reality. The longer they kick the can, the further down the black hole we go. The Dark Ages were not built by last place teams. They were built by teams that barely missed the playoffs. Learn from history. See the writing on the wall. Get something for Nash/Grabner because they are over 30 and the most valuable pieces available.

And fuck, I'll put this here to. Draft picks don't guarantee shit.

Like winning the cup is so easy? Rebuilding is a guaranteed cup?

Of the last 9 cups, Pitt and Chicago account for 6.

Chicago first won in 2009-2010. Prior to that, from 1997 to 2008 (12 years) they absolutely sucked. Record of 343 - 414 - 145. 7th fewest wins in the league. Between 1997 and 2005, they had 8 top 15 draft picks and they still sucked enough to draft Toews #3 in 2006 and Kane #1 in 2007. Is that what you want the Rangers to do? Suck miserably until they luck into drafting a Toews and a Kane?

Pittsburgh first won in 2008-2009. Prior to that, from 2001 to 2006 they had the FEWEST wins in the NHL. 100 - 178 - 50. During those 5 years they drafted #5, #1, #2, #1, #2. They were lucky enough to draft two players better than Toews and Kane in Malkin and Crosby. They got lucky that there was generational talent available to coincide with the beginning of their suckiness.

See Edmonton for what 8 straight top 10 picks will do without generational talent, Buffalo has had 5 straight. Arizona has had 8 picks in the top 8 (including the #7 they traded to us) in the past 13 drafts.

Let's see...Washington had 12 first round picks between 2002 and 2007, to include a #1, #4, and #5. They haven't won a cup or as many playoff games as the Rangers.

What else...The Trashers/Jets are finally having a good year. Since their inception in 1998 - 1999 to 2015 - 2016 they went 518 - 593 - 167. That's second worst in the league for 17 years. They had 2 #1 picks; 3 #2 picks; 1 each #3, #4, #7, and #10; 2 each #8 and #9. That's 13 top ten picks with an overall playoff record of 0 - 8. Fan-fucking-tastic to have to live through that if your a fan of theirs.

Fuck rebuilding, I'd rather watch playoff hockey.
    Last edited by Long live the King; 01-05-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    And fuck, I'll put this here to. Draft picks don't guarantee shit.

Like winning the cup is so easy? Rebuilding is a guaranteed cup?

Of the last 9 cups, Pitt and Chicago account for 6.

Chicago first won in 2009-2010. Prior to that, from 1997 to 2008 (12 years) they absolutely sucked. Record of 343 - 414 - 145. 7th fewest wins in the league. Between 1997 and 2005, they had 8 top 15 draft picks and they still sucked enough to draft Toews #3 in 2006 and Kane #1 in 2007. Is that what you want the Rangers to do? Suck miserably until they luck into drafting a Toews and a Kane?

Pittsburgh first won in 2008-2009. Prior to that, from 2001 to 2006 they had the FEWEST wins in the NHL. 100 - 178 - 50. During those 5 years they drafted #5, #1, #2, #1, #2. They were lucky enough to draft two players better than Toews and Kane in Malkin and Crosby. They got lucky that there was generational talent available to coincide with the beginning of their suckiness.

See Edmonton for what 8 straight top 10 picks will do without generational talent, Buffalo has had 5 straight. Arizona has had 8 picks in the top 8 (including the #7 they traded to us) in the past 13 drafts.

Let's see...Washington had 12 first round picks between 2002 and 2007, to include a #1, #4, and #5. They haven't won a cup or as many playoff games as the Rangers.

What else...The Trashers/Jets are finally having a good year. Since their inception in 1998 - 1999 to 2015 - 2016 they went 518 - 593 - 167. That's second worst in the league for 17 years. They had 2 #1 picks; 3 #2 picks; 1 each #3, #4, #7, and #10; 2 each #8 and #9. That's 13 top ten picks with an overall playoff record of 0 - 8. Fan-fucking-tastic to have to live through that if your a fan of theirs.

Fuck rebuilding, I'd rather watch playoff hockey.
    You have become my favorite poster lately. Agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed.

This team can not she'd Lundqvist, and they will not rebuild and suck until he is gone. Shit, it probably won't happen then either. Im not convinced that they have to.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Answer to the original question - a resounding YES! And do it sooner rather than later.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    So he can cheer from the press box?
    Yup.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Sure, lets do more of the same. Because that's gotten us...how many Cups exactly in the past 75 years? But yeah, screw trying to rebuild, because what we're doing obviously works. The team is mediocre, with several glaring deficiencies, no assets to trade (so good luck pulling Joe Thornton at the deadline, unless you're going to send Miller and Skjei the other way, and by the sound of it some people would love that move), no blue-chip prospects to speak of, and a starting goalie pushing 35. Future's bright people. Real bright. I'm sure we're only one piece away this year too. Who's the next Nash/Yandle/Eric Staal/MSL to put this team over the top finally?

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Nash more than likely won't be on this roster come next season.
    Grabner i'd say has a 50/50 chance. Unless something drastic happens, I'd probably look at moving Nash before the deadline.

He's currently 12th on this team in scoring.
    He is no longer a key part of this teams success, factor in his typical playoff performance, I doubt he makes much difference post season compared to slotting someone else up/in.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    How about everyone can keep looking for green grass, and come let me know when you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Sure, lets do more of the same. Because that's gotten us...how many Cups exactly in the past 75 years? But yeah, screw trying to rebuild, because what we're doing obviously works. The team is mediocre, with several glaring deficiencies, no assets to trade (so good luck pulling Joe Thornton at the deadline, unless you're going to send Miller and Skjei the other way, and by the sound of it some people would love that move), no blue-chip prospects to speak of, and a starting goalie pushing 35. Future's bright people. Real bright. I'm sure we're only one piece away this year too. Who's the next Nash/Yandle/Eric Staal/MSL to put this team over the top finally?
    First, the 1 cup in 75 years argument is annoying. Its pointless. We're still mad about the 40's, 50's, and 60's? It was Montreal and Toronto then everyone else. Get over it. Its ancient history. The Isles and Oilers dominated the 80's. I mean people act like every team but the rangers has won the cup recently. Only 10 teams have won a cup since 94. That means 2/3's of the league is worse off than the Rangers. You think Toronto cares about all those cups in the O6 right now? Its been 49 years.

Second, our starting goalie pushing 35, despite the several glaring deficiencies, is 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA, and 5th in SV% since the start of November so I don't really think we need to beat the Hank sucks now dead horse any longer.

Third, the future is bright. Gorton is making the right moves. How anyone looks at trading Stepan for a pick and a prospect and thinks we're doing the same old shit is beyond me. No team in any sport is ever going to trade their way out of the playoffs. You wanna talk about trading McD, Zucc, or Hayes this summer let's do it, but as long as they are in the playoffs they aren't trading a roster player for futures.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Guaranteed first-round pick from a contender. Anything less and they sold for seventy cents on the dollar.
    Yes, if he's traded before the deadline.

If as the OP suggests, he is traded at the draft I think he brings a lot less, as teams could say, "why trade the farm, when we can wait for free agency?"
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    First, the 1 cup in 75 years argument is annoying. Its pointless. We're still mad about the 40's, 50's, and 60's? It was Montreal and Toronto then everyone else. Get over it. Its ancient history. The Isles and Oilers dominated the 80's. I mean people act like every team but the rangers has won the cup recently. Only 10 teams have won a cup since 94. That means 2/3's of the league is worse off than the Rangers. You think Toronto cares about all those cups in the O6 right now? Its been 49 years.

Second, our starting goalie pushing 35, despite the several glaring deficiencies, is 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA, and 5th in SV% since the start of November so I don't really think we need to beat the Hank sucks now dead horse any longer.

Third, the future is bright. Gorton is making the right moves. How anyone looks at trading Stepan for a pick and a prospect and thinks we're doing the same old shit is beyond me. No team in any sport is ever going to trade their way out of the playoffs. You wanna talk about trading McD, Zucc, or Hayes this summer let's do it, but as long as they are in the playoffs they aren't trading a roster player for futures.
    Once again, we are talking about Nash. Heís giving us very little right now. As far as your 94 reference, it doesnít equate. I could easily say 1 championship in 70 years ?
    Calculate same equation since 95, or 85, or 75.
    No matter what, only a few teams have been less successful on winning championships than the Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Once again, we are talking about Nash. He’s giving us very little right now. As far as your 94 reference, it doesn’t equate. I could easily say 1 championship in 70 years ?
    Calculate same equation since 95, or 85, or 75.
    No matter what, only a few teams have been less successful on winning championships than the Rangers.

Only a few teams? 12 teams have have NEVER won a cup and 8 of those started before 94.

STL in 49 years
    BUF and VAN in 46 years
    WSH in 42 years
    WIN/ARI in 41 years
    SJS in 25 years
    OTT in 24 years
    FLA in 23 years

Only 7 teams have more than 4 cups. Only 3 teams have more than 6. Montreal and Toronto dominated the original 6 with Detroit sneaking in now and then. Let the 40's 50's and 60's die.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Dudes on fire today.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Only a few teams? 12 teams have have NEVER won a cup and 8 of those started before 94.

STL in 49 years
    BUF and VAN in 46 years
    WSH in 42 years
    WIN/ARI in 41 years
    SJS in 25 years
    OTT in 24 years
    FLA in 23 years

Only 7 teams have more than 4 cups. Only 3 teams have more than 6. Montreal and Toronto dominated the original 6 with Detroit sneaking in now and then. Let the 40's 50's and 60's die.
    Once again
    We have zero cups in the last 22 years.
    One cup in the last 70 years?

Of those teams you mentioned, 1/2 were expansion franchises when we last won a cup.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    But more importantly, i think you should let the 90ís die.

Once again
    We have zero cups in the last 22 years.
    One cup in the last 70 years?

Of those teams you mentioned, 1/2 were expansion franchises when we last won a cup.

Yeah one cup in 70 years. You said that. So in the last 70 years Toronto has 7 cups. That makes their 49 year drought okay? Who cares about a bunch of wins in the 40's and 60's? It was a completely different game. Cup or no cup the Rangers are in the top 5 best franchises over the last 10 years.

But more importantly, i think you should let the 90’s die.

I wasn't aware I was hung up on the 90's. Again, cup or no cup the Rangers are in the top 5 best franchises over the last 10 years.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Yeah one cup in 70 years. You said that. So in the last 70 years Toronto has 7 cups. That makes their 49 year drought okay? Who cares about a bunch of wins in the 40's and 60's? It was a completely different game. Cup or no cup the Rangers are in the top 5 best franchises over the last 10 years.
    By last 10 years hours are referencing regular season wins? Because zero championships puts us outside of the top 5 of anything

By last 10 years hours are referencing regular season wins? Because zero championships puts us outside of the top 5 of anything

Does it? So you wanna say 6th? Only 4 teams share the last 9 cups with this year's cup still up for grabs. In that time only 3 teams have won more playoff games then the Rangers.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Does it? So you wanna say 6th? Only 4 teams share the last 9 cups with this year's cup still up for grabs. In that time only 3 teams have won more playoff games then the Rangers.
    I accept that premise. I donít agree that the reference point of a franchise is NOT winning a championship?
    But if your idea of success last 10 years is wins without a cup, Iíll respect that

I accept that premise. I don’t agree that the reference point of a franchise is NOT winning a championship?
    But if your idea of success last 10 years is wins without a cup, I’ll respect that
    And there in lies the whole argument! Winning the cup is hard. Only 4 teams have won one of the last 9 cups. People say "What we're doing isn't working". Well its working better than the other 25 teams who haven't won shit. We are more likely to get over the hump by continuing what Gorton is doing than by trading our way out of the playoffs and rebuilding.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast