Thread: Five Ties in Seven Games

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar

Five Ties in Seven Games

Five regulation ties in our last seven games. This league seriously needs to stop promoting the third period truce! I'm a traditionalist and would just like to get rid of OT and SO altogether, but it gets to the point where I'd consider 3-2-1. I'm afraid that given that two points is two thirds of three while one point is only half of two, the incentive to settle for the regulation tie would be greater under 3-2-1 than it was with one point for a tie and no OT.

//reported Junior Division

Five Ties in Seven Games

Yes. The points system is stupid.
    LGR!

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    The standings are already a mess and hard to understand for newcomers. This only complicates it even more.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    I hear you on the ties....

I love the fact we're getting points in the win column, but I would really love to see us finish better around the net. We have a bunch of stone-handed players that just can't seem to bury one to put us in that "out of reach" on the scoreboard position. Grabner had a chance to make it 3-0 and failed on the break away.

Nash tipped a "gimme" right into Lehner's pads in the first....

...and the beat goes on for Hayes who played tremendously and made a great play to Grabner to score, but good fucking Christ dude, shoot the damn thing on a 2 on 1 for a change!!!! This kid would be fabulous if he just shot the puck more often. I love his game...Just fucking shoot it, will ya!!

Need to finish to get away from these ties!
    ..oh and maybe a PP goal or 2???

Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar
    Some people even want to go back to zero points for an OT loss, but I have a real problem with that when 3-on-3 is the format.

I think they should go back to the original:

2 pts for a win
    1 point for a tie WITH NO OT in Regular season
    0 points for a loss

Keep it simple and traditional....that's just me, and I'm most likely in the minority, but I LOVE Playoff hockey and I think OT is best reserved for the playoffs.

Aside from that though, this team needs to cash in on their opportunities a lot better.

Hank has seemingly returned to WORLD CLASS form and he's basically saving our asses like it was yesteryear all over again. Not for nothing but Pavelec has been super in his outings as well. That being said, The Rangers still have to get past their Achilles heel; TURNOVERS!

Good God!! We turn it over at our blue line more than ever. I counted 11 in the first period yesterday!!!

The Neutral zone Turnovers are almost as abundant but we've been able to stave off a lot of those. The TO's in our zone are going to come back to bite us, more sooner than later. This team is way too prone to it though, and Holden has basically been Santa with those gifts more often than the rest.

Brendan Smith isn't very far behind, but I still think he's going to be a big factor for this team if they make the post season.

Scarily enough, I don't see Staal making very many...and I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Moderator's Note:

LONG TIME FAN and Rangers4Life, please put one another on your ignore lists.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDozen View Post
    Some people even want to go back to zero points for an OT loss, but I have a real problem with that when 3-on-3 is the format.
    Yes. No one was really upset about ties in 1983 when they started all of this. So many permutations have been tried since then, it's about time to accept there isn't something better than the original.

Three on three OT is fun to watch, but it bears no relationship to actual game and is an arbitrary way to decided things. The Kings missed the playoffs because of a poor OT and SO record a few years ago. You might just as well kept them out of the playoffs due to a poor record shooting craps. The Sabres are 2-8 in OT. If they were a better team, that would be keeping them out of the playoffs.

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    I think they need to look at the point system... but anything but a 3point system. Thats nails on a chalkboard x1000. As I mentioned, it will create more confusion.

I'd love to see a W-L record. Boom. easy to see, easy to understand. Are there any other pro sports that use a points system besides the NHL and NASCAR? EPL uses a 3w 1D 0L points format, but no chance NHL goes from rewarding those that tie as much as they reward current losers.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Yes. No one was really upset about ties in 1983 when they started all of this. So many permutations have been tried since then, it's about time to accept there isn't something better than the original.

Three on three OT is fun to watch, but it bears no relationship to actual game and is an arbitrary way to decided things. The Kings missed the playoffs because of a poor OT and SO record a few years ago. You might just as well kept them out of the playoffs due to a poor record shooting craps. The Sabres are 2-8 in OT. If they were a better team, that would be keeping them out of the playoffs.
    If they were a better team they wouldn't be 2-8 in OT.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I would prefer to return to 3 points for win, 0 for loss, 1 for tie. I think overtime is exciting, but when there's no incentive not to win in regulation for a majority of the games then that results in far too much OT, imo.

//reported Junior Division
    That’s the first time I’ve read 3-1-0.
    Really interesting.
    LGR!