• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens D Fredrik Claesson Suspended Two Games for Head Hit

Phil

:tweet: @SunGarrioch: Fredrik Claesson gets two-game suspension for hit to the head of Boston Noel Acciari #Sens

--

The accompanying video explanation goes into detail on why Claesson deserved two games:

Rather than delivering a full-body hit, Claesson takes an angle of approach that makes Acciari’s head the main point of contact on a hit where such head contact was avoidable.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/12/fredrik-claesson-suspended-two-games.html

Terrible explanation.

not too long ago, these were a "keep your head up, kid" type of hit.

Call it "point of contact" or primary. I dont think he targets the head, specifically, thats just whats there. The follow through with his arm didnt help his case.

No one throws hits like that without their arms coming up above their nipples at some point. It's just reactionary. There's a big difference with the "arms up" views. There's "arms up" as reactionary to protect yourself, and there's an "arms up" where someone is intenionally trying to hurt someone. Again, McAvoy gave him a hospital pass and what made it worse is that he couldn't handle it and stopped to steer towards the puck. These suspensions are given out now just to shut the fans up that cry about every play. The same fans that can't skate.

I didn't say he hit him with his arms up, just the follow through.

The NHL is suspending guys on how something looks, in the moment, in a bubble, and not the entire play.

To the average Joe, he makes head contact, the guy wasn't "ready" for the hit, he got drilled, the arm came up after the hit, the guy goes down, etc etc.

I didn't say he hit him with his arms up, just the follow through.

The NHL is suspending guys on how something looks, in the moment, in a bubble, and not the entire play.

To the average Joe, he makes head contact, the guy wasn't "ready" for the hit, he got drilled, the arm came up after the hit, the guy goes down, etc etc.

Right, that's what I was saying.

Archived