• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TBL F Ryan "Grit and Moxie" Callahan Out Indefinitely with an Upper-Body Injury

Abe Froman

"Tampa Bay Lightning right wing Ryan Callahan is out indefinitely after taking a nasty spill into the boards in Thursday night's 4-1 win over the Arizona Coyotes, the team announced Friday."

"Callahan, whose right arm was in a sling after the game, will be re-evaluated in three to four weeks with what the Lightning are calling an upper-body injury."

"The veteran forward raced for a loose puck deep in the Arizona zone in the third period Thursday and got tied up with the Coyotes' Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He crashed into the boards and was clearly in pain as he left the game for the locker room."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21778994/ryan-callahan-tampa-bay-lightning-indefinitely

He did, but what grinder types can the same not be said of by the time they reach free agency? It's just what happens to those types of players.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Players ain't built like they used to be. Previously, these guys lasted the longest.

Hell, Doan was solid until he turned 48 a few years ago.

Players ain't built like they used to be. Previously, these guys lasted the longest.

Hell, Doan was solid until he turned 48 a few years ago.

Well the league phases them out faster now, yes, but on average I'd imagine the injuries started pulling up from 30 on for most of these types since the mid-90s. Franzen, Morrow, Holmstrom, Draper, Tikkannen, Tocchet, whomever.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nobody played like this 20-30 years back... with all the shot blocking stuff. Sure, they took the body more, and more often, but the pads were less bulky and hits were ‘within human limits’ unlike today’s suits of armor. Guys are fearless now.

You could actually feel hits back then, though.

The overtly physical guys all burn out quickly. They may carry on in the league but the dynamism that made them so popular and fun disappears quickly.

Lucic

Phaneuf

Marchand

Burrows

Ferland

And on and on and on.

That's a young man's role for those with a chip on their shoulder and doesn't seem even remotely sustainable.

The overtly physical guys all burn out quickly. They may carry on in the league but the dynamism that made them so popular and fun disappears quickly.

Lucic

Phaneuf

Marchand

Burrows

Ferland

And on and on and on.

That's a young man's role for those with a chip on their shoulder and doesn't seem even remotely sustainable.

Well Marchand might be the worst example ever since he's pacing 100 points lol, but I agree overall.

The ones that last are the ones who can evolve to play a full 2-way game. Brandon Dubinsky - say what you will about him - is a pretty good example of that I think. He's still an agitator to some extent, but he's effective more now by being a good two-way player instead of being an agitator and going 100 mph all the time.

Lucic

Phaneuf

Marchand

Burrows

Ferland

And on and on and on.

The modern equipment protects them too much.

Growing up, you knew to avoid some hits, skate with your head up, play smart hockey for you and your teammates health.

Now, these guys cant feel a thing. Chara crush Zucc in the corner, and nothing. All those pads absorb everything. Problem is, the body is still breaking down with off of these hits.

The "breaking down" of these players is much more recent. You can look even to the 90s and earlier, and it was usually these types of players that had longer careers, as they can still muck it up when playmakers are aged out.

Just compare the shoulder pads of Shanahan and Callahan. It makes you think the game instead of running around with your head down.

It's funny, I'm only 34 and in junior everybody fought over the 40 year old shoulder pads that looked like they protected as much as a T-shirt.

Everybody had to have the best of everything else, but shoulder pads? Nah, I want the Cyclone Taylors.

It's funny, I'm only 34 and in junior everybody fought over the 40 year old shoulder pads that looked like they protected as much as a T-shirt.

Everybody had to have the best of everything else, but shoulder pads? Nah, I want the Cyclone Taylors.

So true

The modern equipment protects them too much.

Growing up, you knew to avoid some hits, skate with your head up, play smart hockey for you and your teammates health.

Now, these guys cant feel a thing. Chara crush Zucc in the corner, and nothing. All those pads absorb everything. Problem is, the body is still breaking down with off of these hits.

The "breaking down" of these players is much more recent. You can look even to the 90s and earlier, and it was usually these types of players that had longer careers, as they can still muck it up when playmakers are aged out.

Just compare the shoulder pads of Shanahan and Callahan. It makes you think the game instead of running around with your head down.

Agreed. Unless you're the recipient of a hospital pass, you should be able to absorb the hit without needing a stretcher to leave the ice.

Shanny wore the same shoulder pads his whole career. I saw them. Looked like 5 paper towels stapled together.

Archived