• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eugene Melnyk Talks Moving Senators: ?If it becomes a disaster, yes?

Phil

OTTAWA ? On the eve of the grandest celebration in modern Ottawa Senators history ? what Eugene Melnyk predicted would be ?the greatest outdoor game to date? ? the owner of the National Hockey League team brought up the idea of moving his franchise.

?I?m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team. It?s not gonna happen,? Melnyk said at Parliament Hill, prior to puck drop on the Senators alumni game.

?The bigger question is whether I?m prepared to blow all that money I made over many years in a different industry in a different country.

?How long can you underwrite a team??

Melnyk vehemently denied rumours that he is looking for a buyers or equity investors in his team, which is struggling financially and, so far this season, on the ice.

Would Melnyk, who now resides in the Barbados, actually consider moving the Senators?

?If it becomes a disaster, yes. If you start not seeing crowds showing up, yes,? he said. ?But, for now, we are on the cusp of doing OK.?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ottawa-owner-talks-moving-senators-becomes-disaster-yes/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The outdoor rink they built is a political fiasco as well. I'm almost positive it was 7 million taxpayer dollars for two months of rink.

We just built the best small town facility I've ever seen for 6 million. It'll last 40 more years. About half of it was paid through fundraising and liscening agreements.

I know a lot of towns that need a new rink, but hey its Ottawa.

Archived