Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could John Tavares Land On Broadway In 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I have such a hard time seeing Belmont actually come to fruition. MSG is newly renovated, Barclays is still in its infancy, Prudential is not much older. Not to mention the new lips on the pig called the Coliseum. Do we really need another arena in the area?
    You are right on all accounts. There is no need for the arena. But it is going to happen for one reason: Dolan wants the MSG network on all cable and other systems on Long Island. If the Islanders were to move, he'd lose that. Why else would Dolan step in and throw money into a new arena that can only take business from his existing arena? I think Dolan is being foolish. This is why there is a ban on an individual owning a piece of more than one NHL team. What he is doing is not in the Rangers interests, but he can do it because the ban is limited to owning two teams. That ban should be expanded, because building an arena for a team not your own is tantamount to owning a piece of the second team. I don't like the idea of the Rangers having a direct financial interest interest in the Islanders (a team that has lost money almost every year since 1972), and my aversion goes to such a cross investment goes beyond my arbitrary dislike of fish sticks.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    You are right on all accounts. There is no need for the arena. But it is going to happen for one reason: Dolan wants the MSG network on all cable and other systems on Long Island. If the Islanders were to move, he'd lose that. Why else would Dolan step in and throw money into a new arena that can only take business from his existing arena? I think Dolan is being foolish. This is why there is a ban on an individual owning a piece of more than one NHL team. What he is doing is not in the Rangers interests, but he can do it because the ban is limited to owning two teams. That ban should be expanded, because building an arena for a team not your own is tantamount to owning a piece of the second team. I don't like the idea of the Rangers having a direct financial interest interest in the Islanders (a team that has lost money almost every year since 1972), and my aversion goes to such a cross investment goes beyond my arbitrary dislike of fish sticks.
    I'm sorry you lost me here. What does another arena have to do with MSGN? The Islanders were already on MSGN while playing in both the NVMC and Barclays.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Belmont is a perfect spot for the Icelanders.

Plenty of parking spaces filled with new car inventory.

Used for horse racing 1 day a year.

And the rest of May-July and Sept-Oct visited by Icelander sized "crowds" of under 2,000 fans.

Senior Member Midget Division
    i think the main point to the fact that he hasn't re-upped with the Isles is due to the fact that he's not sold on whether they can ever field a winner.

He'd be stupid not to go into UFA at this point just to have a sniff as to whats out there, regardless of the Isles chances or the idea of a new arena.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Belmont is a perfect spot for the Icelanders.

Plenty of parking spaces filled with new car inventory.

Used for horse racing 1 day a year.

And the rest of May-July and Sept-Oct visited by Icelander sized "crowds" of under 2,000 fans.
    funny post. belmont gets some really nice crowds in the spring time. i highly recommend hanging in the back yard on friday's when they have twilight racing. probably 8-12,000 people out there mostly nypd and fdny.

I'm sorry you lost me here. What does another arena have to do with MSGN? The Islanders were already on MSGN while playing in both the NVMC and Barclays.
    If there's no new arena, the Islanders probably move from the NY area, because everyone recognizes that Barclays is not viable in the long term. If the Islander's move from the New York area, the MSGN takes a hit because it loses the Islanders and a lot of subscribers on Long Island and also viewership across the metro (we're all more likely to watch an Islanders game on a night the Rangers are not playing than whatever non-hockey fare would otherwise being playing).

This arena is dumb. One team only arenas are only profitable if they are getting a lot of other choice events, and there are already so many other options in the area for non-sports events. I hear the Dolans are going to tie getting an MSG concert date to taking a Belmont arena date. This, again, seems foolish. What about: (1) groups whose draw only supports one arena date in the area?; and (2) groups that say screw the extra cost of moving the stage set, we'll take two dates at Barclays instead. Note that historically, few groups did both Nassau Coliseum dates and MSG dates back to back. Zeppelin did it once (1972) (ok, spare me other examples, I'm just saying it isn't the norm).

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieNextel305 View Post
    Good to see you around again.

That part in the article where it said
    Why it could work
    The Rangers have enough cap space to sign two John Tavareses next summer.
    got my attention. If it's true, which would surprise me, that would take away the usual stumbling blocks.
    I think Tavares has enough durable talents to make him valuable year to come. It's one FA signing I would not be against -- at our area of greatest need to.
    I just wonder if he's not too died in the wool Islander to cross the Rubicon.
    Good think he's made New York his home; that could work in our favor ultimately, if the Isles are not willing to pay up.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    I don't understand that statemtn on the Rangers having enough cap space next year since Tavares will be getting a substantial raise and max term.

A quick glance at Capfriendly and the these are the players up for new contracts next year:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

Rick Nash - UFA

J.T. Miller - RFA

Kevin Hayes - RFA

Jimmy Vesey - RFA

Brady Skjei - RFA

Michael Grabner - UFA

Nick Holden - UFA

There's a few more to list but you guys get the point. So unless they don't plan on resigning some of those guys, where is the cap space coming from even if Nash's cap hit comes off the books? I'm no math wiz and cap crunching makes me dizzy so maybe someone can chime in and explain?

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Breakfast at Belmont is also a popular attraction. A new arena there is years down the road, if ever.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I don't understand that statemtn on the Rangers having enough cap space next year since Tavares will be getting a substantial raise and max term.

A quick glance at Capfriendly and the these are the players up for new contracts next year:

Rick Nash - UFA

J.T. Miller - RFA

Kevin Hayes - RFA

Jimmy Vesey - RFA

Brady Skjei - RFA

Michael Grabner - UFA

Nick Holden - UFA

There's a few more to list but you guys get the point. So unless they don't plan on resigning some of those guys, where is the cap space coming from even if Nash's cap hit comes off the books? I'm no math wiz and cap crunching makes me dizzy so maybe someone can chime in and explain?
    Yeah, I've been discussing their lack of cap space since the summer.

They'll have to make space for his entire cap hit... all UFA money will be used to up the RFA. But, isn't he the kinda guy you make space for?

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post

Rick Nash - UFA

J.T. Miller - RFA

Kevin Hayes - RFA

Jimmy Vesey - RFA

Brady Skjei - RFA

Michael Grabner - UFA

Nick Holden - UFA

One of three things happen with Nash:
    1) He gets moved at the TDL
    2) We keep him at the TDL and he doesn't re-sign with us.
    3) He signs for like 3.8m

Miller and Hayes are both going to get raises. If you pick up Tavares, one of them is expendable...and do you really want to pay your third line center 4+ million?

Vesey will get a small raise, nothing major methinks.

Grabner and Holden are kinda in the same boat as Nash. You don't have to re-sign them. A year to develop the guys in the A and what you'd hope are replacements for these vets nets you enough money to sign JT, perhaps twice (not gonna do the calcs either).

For those of you who know the depth chart and understand contracts better than I do, how'd I do?
    LGR!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yeah, I've been discussing their lack of cap space since the summer.

They'll have to make space for his entire cap hit... all UFA money will be used to up the RFA. But, isn't he the kinda guy you make space for?
    Absolutely. I just canít work the cap/salaries well enough to show how the numbers can work. Im also curious as to what the team decides to do personnel wise if Tavares actually becomes a possibility.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post

Miller and Hayes are both going to get raises. If you pick up Tavares, one of them is expendable...and do you really want to pay your third line center 4+ million?

Grabner and Holden are kinda in the same boat as Nash. You don't have to re-sign them. A year to develop the guys in the A and what you'd hope are replacements for these vets nets you enough money to sign JT, perhaps twice (not gonna do the calcs either).

For those of you who know the depth chart and understand contracts better than I do, how'd I do?

Senior Member Squirt Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Tavares is unrealistic

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    If there's no new arena, the Islanders probably move from the NY area, because everyone recognizes that Barclays is not viable in the long term. If the Islander's move from the New York area, the MSGN takes a hit because it loses the Islanders and a lot of subscribers on Long Island and also viewership across the metro (we're all more likely to watch an Islanders game on a night the Rangers are not playing than whatever non-hockey fare would otherwise being playing).

This arena is dumb. One team only arenas are only profitable if they are getting a lot of other choice events, and there are already so many other options in the area for non-sports events. I hear the Dolans are going to tie getting an MSG concert date to taking a Belmont arena date. This, again, seems foolish. What about: (1) groups whose draw only supports one arena date in the area?; and (2) groups that say screw the extra cost of moving the stage set, we'll take two dates at Barclays instead. Note that historically, few groups did both Nassau Coliseum dates and MSG dates back to back. Zeppelin did it once (1972) (ok, spare me other examples, I'm just saying it isn't the norm).
    Ooooohhhhh ok I get what you mean now. Not about adding them but keeping them. Idk why I didn't grasp that the first time.

Senior Member Bantam Division

If we sign Tavares, Hayes gets traded to make room for Chytil a 3C...

Ugh I hope this happens.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Well, if the rumors about a $80m cap next season are accurate, that can only help

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    If we sign Tavares, Hayes gets traded to make room for Chytil a 3C...
    Yeah, exactly. That's what I was getting at with this comment, "Miller and Hayes are both going to get raises. If you pick up Tavares, one of them is expendable...and do you really want to pay your third line center 4+ million?"

JT > Zib > Chytil > Nieves

Ugh I hope this happens.
    I wouldn't start salivating yet.
    LGR!

Moderator Junior Division
    Yeah, exactly. That's what I was getting at with this comment, "Miller and Hayes are both going to get raises. If you pick up Tavares, one of them is expendable...and do you really want to pay your third line center 4+ million?"

JT > Zib > Chytil > Nieves

I wouldn't start salivating yet.
    I think we could see Chytil on the wing if Andersson is ready to make the jump next year. Could play a game very similar to Zucc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast