Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could John Tavares Land On Broadway In 2018?

Deleted Midget Division
    Tavares won't go West unless backed into a corner. He's got a big Portuguese family here in the Toronto area and they like him close to home. Especially his grandparents.

TB and Toronto are options, moreso TB though. Toronto owes it to Doughty to leave cap space open as he's expressed interest to come home and they're desperately in need of that kind of anchor whereas at C they're perhaps too deep.

TB could make sense, or even resigning

At the end of the day the Rangers *will* make a strong move for the cup. They won't unload / waste Lundqvist, McDonagh, Shatty, and the other pieces they have lined up for the future.

You call it addition via subtraction with Rick Nash. You move Hayes for value and add Tavares.

Suddenly you're a contender.

It essentially hinges on Tabards crossing the line. He likes NYC. He likes being close to home. He likes the time zone. Will he like being a villain/traitor in order to become a savior?

Time will tell.

All I know is that the Rangers will go hard for it.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Yzerman would make it work....their was already rumblings that Johnson would be the first to be traded and that would free up $5 million. If everything stays the same with the $75 million cap, as of now they are at $64 million for next season with Johnson. The following year $10 million is coming off the books just with Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn.
    Beat me to it. They're actually in pretty good shape - but they'd probably have to dump Palat too because Point will get a pretty good raise after next year as well.

Not to mention they can save $3m for the next two years if they buy out Cally.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I think he'll sign with the Islanders in a fashion similar to the way Stamkos signed with Tampa. That said, I don't know why he's awaiting an arena decision. The best case scenario is that they get their new arena and then spend one more year in Brooklyn and then another two in some temporary home. (Barclays will drive a hard bargain for years past 2018-19 as they are leaving to build a competing arena; Dolan would probably take them in at MSG as a last resort, but only over the the probable objections of Slats, who Dolan always listens to; the mothballed Brendan Byrne arena would draw 4,000 per game; Bettman says no Nassau Coliseum). Remember, they won't be breaking ground any time soon after getting state approval. They have to have architects and engineers design the thing beyond the general sketches that probably exist now and procure contractors etc. Memo to John Tavares: New York area is the capital of delays in construction projects! MSG was supposed to be completed two years before it was and Shea was significantly delayed. I don't understand why Tavares would sign when the new home is probably for the fourth season of his contract!

If he signs elsewhere, I don't see him choosing NYR because he just would shy from the controversy and added pressure that would entail. But it would be a more likely place than most. TB seems to be such a popular place to play with a respected organization and no state tax and nice weather. But TB would have to shed needed parts and end up a team with stars but no supporting cast and would not win.
    Maybe he doesnt want to play in Seattle, Quebec, or Houston.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieNextel305 View Post
    I don’t see Tampa as an option. If they sign him, think of all of the $$$ they have tied up in Stamkos, Tavares and Hedman, along with the fact Kucherov is due for a huge raise shortly.
    and while those 4 are under contract Point, Sergachev, and Vasilevsky will all need big raises too...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Yzerman would make it work....their was already rumblings that Johnson would be the first to be traded and that would free up $5 million. If everything stays the same with the $75 million cap, as of now they are at $64 million for next season with Johnson. The following year $10 million is coming off the books just with Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Beat me to it. They're actually in pretty good shape - but they'd probably have to dump Palat too because Point will get a pretty good raise after next year as well.

Not to mention they can save $3m for the next two years if they buy out Cally.
    So who are you replacing those D with? They're going to play 4 d-men on ELC's in order to sign Tavares?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    So who are you replacing those D with? They're going to play 4 d-men on ELC's in order to sign Tavares?
    Well lets say as Future said that they buyout Callahan, they trade Johnson, that frees up $8 million, they were already $11 million under the cap, thats $19 million in available space. Tavares signs for $10 million, their is $9 million left over to sign whatever D/F's they would need. And that is if they just go with those 2 moves in ridding players. Could free up some more space by trading players if they need to.

Not ELCs, but much cheaper than now. Sergachev and Dotchin both figure to be in the top 4. Koekoek sticks and you can round out the rest of the D with the Sjustrs of the world.

They only have one defenseman on the team that matters now as it is.

Not ELCs, but much cheaper than now. Sergachev and Dotchin both figure to be in the top 4. Koekoek sticks and you can round out the rest of the D with the Sjustrs of the world.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    TB will be fine, cap-wise. They have 2-3 guys wanting to gtfo every season.

But they might use that cap space for Nash... seeing as only Rangers FA are willing to sign there.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    All dozen of them? The Isles and their fan base are completely irrelevant in the NHL scene. They're a half-step up from the Yotes. He might decide that he doesn't want to do that, but it's not as if he'd be leaving a good franchise. I think you're overstating "hero" too. He hasn't won shit.

Plus, it's the owners who they should crucify, not him.
    He's a hero to them, is my point, and by all accounts, a commendable leader. He may see that as part of his legacy and simply not want to shit on it by signing with the team that the Islanders fan base—however many dozen of them are left—hate the most.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Can't really answer this until we see where the Isles' arena situation is, either at the deadline or on July 1st. Think if they actually have credible deal for Belmont, he stays. And further the NHL will let them play at the new Coliseum until it's built. But none of that is in place yet.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    But the media presence is still relatively small, regionally speaking. That's why I think you could get away with it. Similar to San José. Expectations from a league level are high, but locally? You can probably fail and walk around that whole summer and never get noticed.
    I'm in Orlando now - the Lightning are HUGE here. People love them. Can't hide anymore here.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I guess not. I agree, the pressure has increased there. I just don't think it's the same kind of pressure he'd face farther north, especially in Canada where the media extends well beyond the newspaper beat. Montréal is another world.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I guess not. I agree, the pressure has increased there. I just don't think it's the same kind of pressure he'd face farther north, especially in Canada where the media extends well beyond the newspaper beat. Montréal is another world.
    Oh god, no, not even close to the media circus that is MTL.

Though, Central Florida loves their Lightning quite a bit. Go to a game at Amalie...it's crazy!
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Very doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'm in Orlando now - the Lightning are HUGE here. People love them. Can't hide anymore here.
    I'll be there tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Oh god, no, not even close to the media circus that is MTL.

Though, Central Florida loves their Lightning quite a bit. Go to a game at Amalie...it's crazy!
    I would guess though that people like UCF a little more than the Lightning.

I'm not really worried about who they d-men are specifically, just the average price.

Segrgachev will get paid and be top pair, he'll make at least as much and probably more than Stralman. So your not saving money there.
    Dotchin, know nothing about him but if he's a top for guy, he'll be making what Girardi makes.
    That still leaves them with a spot in their top 4. They're gonna play 3 Sustr/Holdens?

All I'm saying is the savings they get by losing Stralman, Girardi and Coburn is deceiving because $11.2M for 3 top 4 dmen is a good price.

At the end of the day they could fit Tavares, but they wouldn't be able to keep that team together more than 2 years.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Can't really answer this until we see where the Isles' arena situation is, either at the deadline or on July 1st. Think if they actually have credible deal for Belmont, he stays. And further the NHL will let them play at the new Coliseum until it's built. But none of that is in place yet.
    I have such a hard time seeing Belmont actually come to fruition. MSG is newly renovated, Barclays is still in its infancy, Prudential is not much older. Not to mention the new lips on the pig called the Coliseum. Do we really need another arena in the area? I still think the best play is somehow making the Coliseum work.

I'm also of the ilk that I would love to see JT sign here but I doubt he does it. Even if its just not to shit all over the Islanders fanbase.

I'm not really worried about who they d-men are specifically, just the average price.

Segrgachev will get paid and be top pair, he'll make at least as much and probably more than Stralman. So your not saving money there.
    Dotchin, know nothing about him but if he's a top for guy, he'll be making what Girardi makes.
    That still leaves them with a spot in their top 4. They're gonna play 3 Sustr/Holdens?

All I'm saying is the savings they get by losing Stralman, Girardi and Coburn is deceiving because $11.2M for 3 top 4 dmen is a good price.

At the end of the day they could fit Tavares, but they wouldn't be able to keep that team together more than 2 years.
    Three years from now, yea, they'll probably be paying about the same. But that gives you time to get rid of whoever at forward to clear room for JT. And yea, they'd be fine playing 3 Sustr/Holdens. They aren't that far from that now.

The reality is that any team who signs JT is going to have to sacrifice some of their depth. If that means TBL has slight downgrades from Girardi and Coburn on their second pair, I think that's a pretty easy trade to justify.
    Last edited by Future; 12-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast