Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could John Tavares Land On Broadway In 2018?

Senior Member Junior Division

Could John Tavares Land On Broadway In 2018?

Why it could work
    The Rangers have enough cap space to sign two John Tavareses next summer. With Mika Zibanejad coming into his own and blue-chip prospect Filip Chytil on the way, New York would be stacked at center, which is currently a position of need. The Rangers have enough veterans to "win now" and enough young players for the future to remain bright. Tavares would remain in New York, where he has lived for a decade. And we're pretty sure the Rangers will have an arena for him to play in.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...e-agent-market

Enticing. I think he's a guy that will put up points late into his career because of the type of game he plays

Islanders are finally good though... I doubt he bails now

Moderator Junior Division
    He makes as much sense here as anywhere else, but my gut tells me it probably won't happen.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Under why it wont work:
    Tavares would be placing himself under a microscope he has done his best to avoid for years.
    Other teams listed: Canadiens, Leafs
    Canucks - franchise savior and Sedins' replacement. No pressure
    Sharks - a team thats competing, and he'd replace Thornton, Marleau, and expected to be better than both, combined.
    Wings - franchise savior, O-6
    TB - would be expected to be "THE" piece to put them over the edge, and bring a cup.

Not really sure where you can hide in today's NHL. Ottawa?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He makes as much sense here as anywhere else, but my gut tells me it probably won't happen.
    comparing rosters, its hard to think this isnt the best fit.

Detroit, Vancouver, Islanders - not competing anytime soon
    Toronto, TB - top heavy teams with #1Cs

Montreal... but I dont think they are strong as the Rangers current roster, other than maybe their oft-injured goaltender. But I dont think theyre a contender anytime soon. But they could go hard for a JT-JD 1st line combo.

Maybe St Louis or Wild as dark horses?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Same. I think this is like Parise all over again. There's miles more desire to get him than there is for him to come here.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Under why it wont work:

Other teams listed: Canadiens, Leafs
    Canucks - franchise savior and Sedins' replacement. No pressure
    Sharks - a team thats competing, and he'd replace Thornton, Marleau, and expected to be better than both, combined.
    Wings - franchise savior, O-6
    TB - would be expected to be "THE" piece to put them over the edge, and bring a cup.

Not really sure where you can hide in today's NHL. Ottawa?
    You can hide in San José, for sure. Tampa, too.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    You can hide in San José, for sure. Tampa, too.
    I dont think you can hide in TB anymore, that teams been growing, and they have expectations. I heard their name brought up a ton during last seasons playoff push, and then in the offseason for having a bad season. Now, you get THE biggest FA in years... yeah, there will be some expectations, for sure. SJ is pretty much in the same boat. I swear I hear a Sharks story/comment/something everytime they are on the east coast.

This isnt the late 90s anymore. Both teams are expected to compete. And, if either adds JT, there will be pressure.

And that applies to NY, too... but theres a lot more shit going on here than all of the other destinations mentioned. Other places, it will be "OK, he's here, lets win!" In NY, "Ah, they just threw money at the guy."/"We should be rebuilding" crap. Will be about the situation, not him.

But the media presence is still relatively small, regionally speaking. That's why I think you could get away with it. Similar to San José. Expectations from a league level are high, but locally? You can probably fail and walk around that whole summer and never get noticed.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

The deadline is going to be very interesting this year. Especially with the draft that's looming in the off season. Supposedly there are a few players that are pretty "NHL Ready".

As far as Tavares goes, I think it would be great to have that kind of selection between JT, Zban, and Chytil, but this is the Rangers and these things just don't seem to happen for us very often.

I actually see Tavares going to Montreal or possibly Toronto (if they can squeeze him under that cap). I think he's actually from Toronto or somewhere in Ontario and I remember hearing he was looking to go "home" a couple years ago around the deadline. I'm not too sure how accurate that's going to end up being though.

Fact is the guy's a legit top notch center and teams would kill to have him...including the Rangers!

Try this PP out for size:
    Nash
    Tavares
    Zuccharello
    Shattenkirk
    McDonagh

....damn! =)

Same. I think this is like Parise all over again. There's miles more desire to get him than there is for him to come here.
    Could be, I doubt JT hates the Rangers like Parise did though.

For one thing, the Isles always suck and the Rangers, generally speaking, have been good during JT's tenure. That really changes the perception. Plus, JT hasn't played against the Rangers in the playoffs. Idk if you can really hate a team you play in the regular season. Would he turn down, say, CBJ b/c they're a division rival? Rangers vs. Islanders isn't really a thing anymore, at least not like NJD vs. NYR when Parise moved. Remember, he was on the team when the Rangers and Devils had the line brawl to open the game - that was only a few months before he was a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Nash
    Tavares
    Zuccharello
    Shattenkirk
    McDonagh

....damn! =)
    No shooters. PP would still suck lol

Could be, I doubt JT hates the Rangers like Parise did though.

For one thing, the Isles always suck and the Rangers, generally speaking, have been good during JT's tenure. That really changes the perception. Plus, JT hasn't played against the Rangers in the playoffs. Idk if you can really hate a team you play in the regular season. Would he turn down, say, CBJ b/c they're a division rival? Rangers vs. Islanders isn't really a thing anymore, at least not like NJD vs. NYR when Parise moved. Remember, he was on the team when the Rangers and Devils had the line brawl to open the game - that was only a few months before he was a FA.
    Sure, but there's more to rivalry than personal grudge. You have to account for the fan appreciation perspective. Tavares would, in an instant, go from vaulted hero to persona non grata amongst Isles fans. It would be utterly hostile, too.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Sure, but there's more to rivalry than personal grudge. You have to account for the fan appreciation perspective. Tavares would, in an instant, go from vaulted hero to persona non grata amongst Isles fans. It would be utterly hostile, too.
    All dozen of them? The Isles and their fan base are completely irrelevant in the NHL scene. They're a half-step up from the Yotes. He might decide that he doesn't want to do that, but it's not as if he'd be leaving a good franchise. I think you're overstating "hero" too. He hasn't won shit.

Plus, it's the owners who they should crucify, not him.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    But the media presence is still relatively small, regionally speaking. That's why I think you could get away with it. Similar to San José. Expectations from a league level are high, but locally? You can probably fail and walk around that whole summer and never get noticed.
    He'll get noticed... once he grows out one of those stupid fucking beards.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    The deadline is going to be very interesting this year. Especially with the draft that's looming in the off season. Supposedly there are a few players that are pretty "NHL Ready".

As far as Tavares goes, I think it would be great to have that kind of selection between JT, Zban, and Chytil, but this is the Rangers and these things just don't seem to happen for us very often.

I actually see Tavares going to Montreal or possibly Toronto (if they can squeeze him under that cap). I think he's actually from Toronto or somewhere in Ontario and I remember hearing he was looking to go "home" a couple years ago around the deadline. I'm not too sure how accurate that's going to end up being though.

Fact is the guy's a legit top notch center and teams would kill to have him...including the Rangers!

Nash
    Tavares
    Zuccharello
    Shattenkirk
    McDonagh

....damn! =)
    Nash will be gone, and McDonagh is terrible on the PP.
    Probably replaced by Kreider/Miller and Zbad

Deleted Midget Division
    Just remember I said it first

I think he'll sign with the Islanders in a fashion similar to the way Stamkos signed with Tampa. That said, I don't know why he's awaiting an arena decision. The best case scenario is that they get their new arena and then spend one more year in Brooklyn and then another two in some temporary home. (Barclays will drive a hard bargain for years past 2018-19 as they are leaving to build a competing arena; Dolan would probably take them in at MSG as a last resort, but only over the the probable objections of Slats, who Dolan always listens to; the mothballed Brendan Byrne arena would draw 4,000 per game; Bettman says no Nassau Coliseum). Remember, they won't be breaking ground any time soon after getting state approval. They have to have architects and engineers design the thing beyond the general sketches that probably exist now and procure contractors etc. Memo to John Tavares: New York area is the capital of delays in construction projects! MSG was supposed to be completed two years before it was and Shea was significantly delayed. I don't understand why Tavares would sign when the new home is probably for the fourth season of his contract!

If he signs elsewhere, I don't see him choosing NYR because he just would shy from the controversy and added pressure that would entail. But it would be a more likely place than most. TB seems to be such a popular place to play with a respected organization and no state tax and nice weather. But TB would have to shed needed parts and end up a team with stars but no supporting cast and would not win.

I don’t see Tampa as an option. If they sign him, think of all of the $$$ they have tied up in Stamkos, Tavares and Hedman, along with the fact Kucherov is due for a huge raise shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieNextel305 View Post
    I don’t see Tampa as an option. If they sign him, think of all of the $$$ they have tied up in Stamkos, Tavares and Hedman, along with the fact Kucherov is due for a huge raise shortly.
    Yzerman would make it work....their was already rumblings that Johnson would be the first to be traded and that would free up $5 million. If everything stays the same with the $75 million cap, as of now they are at $64 million for next season with Johnson. The following year $10 million is coming off the books just with Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast