Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slats Vindicated: Callahan Four Years On

Slats Vindicated: Callahan Four Years On

Slats sure made his share of bad moves, but let's give him credit for not giving Cally a six year $6m plus contract. At the time, the future for Cally was quite predictable: maybe one good year, a couple of injury plagued years, and about three years as a fourth liner nowhere near his peak. We're in year four now of his Tampa contract and that's precisely how it has turned out. He's at 24 GP, 1 goal 4 assists. He's probably doing a nice job in a small role.

Without opening up an endlessly discussed point, I still wouldn't have traded him. They didn't get more for him than he would have been worth for the rest of that season (it took two First Round picks on top of him to get a 39 year old player!). I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched Marty against the big LA team in the finals and thought "I'd sure rather have Cally for this series."

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Slats sure made his share of bad moves, but let's give him credit for not giving Cally a six year $6m plus contract. At the time, the future for Cally was quite predictable: maybe one good year, a couple of injury plagued years, and about three years as a fourth liner nowhere near his peak. We're in year four now of his Tampa contract and that's precisely how it has turned out. He's at 24 GP, 1 goal 4 assists. He's probably doing a nice job in a small role.

Without opening up an endlessly discussed point, I still wouldn't have traded him. They didn't get more for him than he would have been worth for the rest of that season (it took two First Round picks on top of him to get a 39 year old player!). I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched Marty against the big LA team in the finals and thought "I'd sure rather have Cally for this series."
    Not to belittle what happened to MSL and his family, but without that storyline, I don't think the Rangers would have rallied or went to the finals. I'd make that trade a million times over. MSL also scored some huge goals that series including an OT winner.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    The Rangers should have no regrets over the deal (except maybe the extra first-round pick involved), but I'm having a hard time painting Slats like some kind of highly insightful, progressive GM for dealing Callahan instead of signing him to a long-term deal. He offered him $6Mx6 before trading him to Tampa. The only reason Callahan isn't still here (or bought out by now) is because of his insistence on a No-Move Clause that Slats wouldn't cave on.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    ^^

E*X*A*C*T*L*Y!!!

For those who think we wouldn't have made the finals in 2014 but for MSL, give some thought to the notion that we WOULD have made the finals in 2015 but for MSL, who was so bad that he dragged down every line he played on in its entirety. Just a thought.

Yes, it's true, at least according to Larry Brooks, and there was some dispute on this, that Slats was willing to give Cally the six years but not the no trade. The irony is that the no trade was pretty much meaningless, because you can't trade a beyond his prime player with that kind of contract anyway (for example, it makes little difference whether Marc Staal has a no trade clause).

You actually can trade them. It doesn't happen often, but it can be done. Shea Weber, for example.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    You actually can trade them. It doesn't happen often, but it can be done. Shea Weber, for example.
    Well, Shea Weber isn't past his prime. But there are always going to be cap floor teams willing to take on salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well, Shea Weber isn't past his prime. But there are always going to be cap floor teams willing to take on salary.
    Neither was Callahan a year or two into his extension. What I mean is that barring unsightly clauses, it's possible for a thirty-something-year-old to be dealt.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

In hindsight I wouldn't have traded all of that for MSL. I think they could have gone on that run with Callahan. No way in hell do I extend his contract though. I let him walk.

As many would say, MSL was among the top point producers in the league at the time of the trade. So, he was definitely a guy you WANT to add to your roster.

Buuuut, he had also let it be known that he wanted out of Tampa. The Rangers lost that trade. MSL never found chemistry with anyone, in both seasons. It didn't help that they had him switch to center to start the season.

In the end, that trade in that season, they made it to the cup finals and ran out of gas. Cup finals. You don't get there often. Was a good run. That roster did it. Like it or not.

I don't like it. But I'm not going to complain any more about it. Can't keep wondering what could have been. All we have is what DID happen.
    Last edited by The Dude; 12-03-2017 at 06:39 PM.

MSL is gone; Callahan is still playing for Tampa, & contributing to their success. Maybe not on the score sheet but in the intangible dept. Heart & soul Capt. was unceremoniously sent packing for a guy that was moaning about the way he was treated by the Tampa GM. Yeah. The NYR scored big on that deal. Oh. not to mention the 2 high draft choices that many fans covet. Another fleece job ala Nick Ra$h.

swamped Midget Division
    yup, callahan is still having an impact 5.8 million cap hit (3rd highest behind stamkos and hedman) while playing on the third or fourth line for tb with a no move clause. it’s a credit to how good that tb is that they can succeed while dragging his dead weight.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Great move by Slats. Should have helped them win the Cup and at the same time a washed up Cally and his disgusting new contract (to be) was shipped away. That cap hit would have been nauseating.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    MSL is gone; Callahan is still playing for Tampa, & contributing to their success. Maybe not on the score sheet but in the intangible dept. Heart & soul Capt. was unceremoniously sent packing for a guy that was moaning about the way he was treated by the Tampa GM. Yeah. The NYR scored big on that deal. Oh. not to mention the 2 high draft choices that many fans covet. Another fleece job ala Nick Ra$h.
    Praising Callahan for his intangibles while playing 12:50 @ $5.8 million a year, and then constantly bashing Nash is ridiculous, even for you.

I'd sure take Nash at 7.8 over Cally at 5.8 any day!

MSL basically looked like a toy against LA.

Senior Member Squirt Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Praising Callahan for his intangibles while playing 12:50 @ $5.8 million a year, and then constantly bashing Nash is ridiculous, even for you.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    We all are entitled to our viewpoints. Nash is overpaid, under productive and soft as melted butter. Relegated to being an $8 million per penalty killer. Now that current scenario is what one would call ridiculous

We all are entitled to our viewpoints. Nash is overpaid, under productive and soft as melted butter. Relegated to being an $8 million per penalty killer. Now that current scenario is what one would call ridiculous
    Relegated to being a penalty killer? Nash is 5th among our forwards in even strength TOI. He also plays more on the PP than the PK. He also has more than twice as many points as Callahan. Nash is a key player on our team. Callahan is a 4th liner. You say Callahan contributes to their success, but Nash is useless. How is Callahan worth $6 million?

I didn't say he was worth $6 mil. Most athletes are hardly worth what they are paid.

Did I miss the post that states the Rangers won/ made out on this trade?

I didn't say he was worth $6 mil. Most athletes are hardly worth what they are paid.
    So again. Why does Callahan get praise for "still playing for Tampa, & contributing to their success. Maybe not on the score sheet but in the intangible dept." and Nash gets bashed every chance you get? Nash is still playing for the Rangers and contributes to our success far more than Callahan contributes to Tampa's. Nash also provides valuable experience and mentor-ship for all of young forwards. Oh and he's still good for 20+ goals a year. Either give Nash credit where credit is due, or refer to Ryan Ca$h-ahan correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast