Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slats Vindicated: Callahan Four Years On

Senior Member Midget Division
    how much does callahan make for tampa to play on the 4th line?

i think that's all that needs to be said here. was a nice player in his time for us, but u cant fall in love with and over pay nice players.

rangers did the right thing here.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    how much does callahan make for tampa to play on the 4th line?

i think that's all that needs to be said here. was a nice player in his time for us, but u cant fall in love with and over pay nice players.

rangers did the right thing here.
    They really did. I think they gave up too much for MSL, personally, but they had to dump Cally and the trade would look a whole lot different (just a first and a second) had we not gotten to the ECF.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    but they had to dump Cally
    This is the part that I don't understand to this day. Why was Slats so intent on trading him? Contenders do not typically trade good players who are slated to be UFAs at the deadline for the simple reason that you get what you give and you are only giving the player as a short term rental. MSL: (1) started off with horrendous one goal in 20 games in the regular season; (2) not much of a factor in first round or first four games of second round; (3) inspired teammates by playing after death of his mother and had good last three games of Pitts series and Montreal series; (4) overmatched non factor in finals against LA; (5) started off following season pretty well for about 30 games but tailed off, culminating in horrible playoffs in which he dragged down whatever line he played on and was a major factor in the failure to make the finals. On balance, that's not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    This is the part that I don't understand to this day. Why was Slats so intent on trading him? Contenders do not typically trade good players who are slated to be UFAs at the deadline for the simple reason that you get what you give and you are only giving the player as a short term rental.
    I agree with that, generally speaking. I'm fine with the idea of holding onto your own UFAs and calling them a rental.

But Cally wasn't playing well and his TOI was dropping before he got traded. He wasn't really a fit for AV's system but still had a lot of value, which sort of skews towards having to make a trade. That's pretty different than, say, Grabner.

I agree that Cally was not the best fit for AV, but his game had picked up recently before the trade, and there was a need for a player like him in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I agree that Cally was not the best fit for AV, but his game had picked up recently before the trade, and there was a need for a player like him in the playoffs.
    Nah, he wasn't doing anything. He had goals in just 2 of his last 16 games and 3 of his 8 points in that span came in 1 game.

He's also never been good in the playoffs, except for maybe 11-12.

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    He was traded for one reason - and one reason only - his demand for a NTC which the GM said no to. The NYR have absolutely nil to show for the deal. If MSL didn't agree to come to NY, the deal wouldn't have happened. Soldier on, Capt. Cally. the NYR could surely use your grit, moxie, determination, physical qualities, etc. Even the occasional goal or two or three or four or more. I'm pretty sure that Tampa is in 1st place looking down at our beloved NYR.

Who Won the Trade?

Tampa Bay Lightning:
    In the end, the Tampa Bay Lightning easily won this trade. Not only did both teams get to the same point in the playoffs over the past two years, but Ryan Callahan actually performed better than St. Louis, individually, since the trade. Furthermore, the Lightning are set up much better for the future, thanks to four great prospects they got from this trade, as well as locking up a top-six forward for five more years. Meanwhile, St. Louis retired, leaving the Rangers with nothing.

https://thehockeywriters.com/revisit...t-louis-trade/
    Last edited by LONG TIME FAN; 12-05-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Yup, Tampa's totally in 1st place because of Callahan's grit, moxie, and determination. Stamkos and Kucherov are just riding his coat tails.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG TIME FAN View Post
    We all are entitled to our viewpoints. Nash is overpaid, under productive and soft as melted butter. Relegated to being an $8 million per penalty killer. Now that current scenario is what one would call ridiculous
    The Nash contact might be considered bad at this point, but we are in the last year.
    Callahan could be one of the worst contracts in the league.
    Since the trade...

Games Played
    Nash- 253
    Callahan- 213

Goals
    Nash- 96
    Callahan- 43

Callahan- 102

Don’t forget Ryan Callahan in Lightning’s resurgence

Much has been made about the impact on the Lightning of a healthy C Steven Stamkos, who missed most of last season after knee surgery.

But don’t forget about RW Ryan Callahan, 32, who is looking like his old self after hip problems plagued him the past year. Callahan might have had his best game of the season in Wednesday’s 3-2 overtime win over the Blackhawks. Callahan had two assists and five hits, his line with Chris Kunitz and Cedric Paquette fueling Tampa Bay’s rally from a two-goal deficit. Callahan assisted on Kunitz’s tying goal early in the third.

"I thought ‘Cally’ was the best player on the ice for both teams," Stamkos said. "He led the way, and it inspired the rest of this group."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ence_162942832

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    He has 6 points in 26 games...

Other than one decent season, he's been a complete disaster in Tampa.
    And your article, stating TB won the trade, was written the offseason following that season. Since then, in 117 games, he has 13 goals and 25 assists. Making $13m during those 3 seasons.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    LOL

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He has 6 points in 26 games...

Other than one decent season, he's been a complete disaster in Tampa.
    And your article, stating TB won the trade, was written the offseason following that season. Since then, in 117 games, he has 13 goals and 25 assists. Making $13m during those 3 seasons.
    Money well spent! Think about all the motivational speeches he's made in the room, Josh!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The NYR would do well to have a guy like Callahan on this roster. Oops. My bad. He's just another 4th liner making way too much money.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Yes, now you get it. Excellent.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    The NYR would do well to have a guy like Callahan on this roster. Oops. My bad. He's just another 4th liner making way too much money.
    Correct. But a young, ELC version of him would be just fine.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Callahan is currently pacing $322,000 per point. But he's filled with grit and moxie, so he's got that goin for him.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Yes, now you get it. Excellent.
    No, you didn't get the point.

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    No, you didn't get the point.
    Are you really saying you would take Ryan Callahan (1g, 6p in 26 games with the league leaders in goals this season) to play on our 4th line with a cap of $5.8m instead of either Fast/Grabner when everyone's healthy? Or even with Zib out, Carey playing 4th line winger (2g, 3p in 15 games) with a league minimum cap is 10 times better.

What are you talking about?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast